Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 04:20   #31

Boat: Hurley 22 Gala
Hi Boatman

That was a great passage in a 22.

Why did you change from a Hurley 22 to a Corribee anyway?

We have a Yanmar 1GM10 inboard in our Hurley 22.

Do you mind if I quote you on another forum?

Thanks for your report

Bruce
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:11   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

French guy in Figuera saw her and asked if I wanted to sell... I was broke so up what I'd paid by a grand and he accepted.... So I flew back and bought the Corribee... Hurleys had gone up in value as the site knew about it and another forum I was on... but cant remember which
Funny thing Hunter Cherubini 37 cutter's were going for a song in the States 04/05 ...$18,000 to $25,000...3 had gone down in the vicinity of Cape Lookout NC in 04..but after my crossing in Moondance was covered by www.towndock.net the prices jumped 50-100%
..... makes one smile... today the same boats are going for $35,000+

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 16:23   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
Hi Boatman

That was a great passage in a 22.

Why did you change from a Hurley 22 to a Corribee anyway?

We have a Yanmar 1GM10 inboard in our Hurley 22.

Do you mind if I quote you on another forum?

Thanks for your report

Bruce
No sweat mate Quote away....
PS; forgot to say the last 7 days I was sh*ttin myself as my dinghy had been swamped and the strain ripped the cleat out of the deck during the night.... to big to fit on foredeck as it kept fouling the sheets forcing me to clamber fwd to free it.....
Gonna cop some Flak for this as well....lmao.... Life raft/EPIRB/safety blahblahblah.... most are conventional a few are not....
Life raft people, I have been on 3 Ocean Survival Courses work related with Oil Companies, Boat Masters ticket etc... I do not like them L/rafts.
EPIRB People... cant afford one...
Safety people.... when I'm 'Solo' its my affair... BOG OFF... don't wear a life jacket either or a harness, if I go over solo I cant swim fast enough to catch the boat unless its a dead calm.... and have you ever tried clawing your way back on board when half or more of your wet weather gear clothed body's being dragged through the water at 4+knots....
Get it over quick, why spend the last hour sobbing about your life... Its been grand so far
Phil
Lmao... I can hear the controversy already...LMAO

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 30-04-2010, 17:53   #34

Boat: C&C25
It's probably more convenient, and keeping in mind your time restrictions, to go to another country and charter a boat there. You need a "driving license" if you want to self skipper. Yachtmaster Daysailer is enough in the UK. Without this you need a "skipper" to look after you. I'm not sure what they require in other countries but this is an alternative to taking your own boat such a long way.
Jon Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 20:07   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Sorry about that last post...
Had just finished watching Captain Ron.....

Old 30-04-2010, 20:40   #36

Boat: C&C25
I agree with you completely. I've been sailing 40+ years.. all sorts of things, mostly old gaffers in the SW of England. I'm quite well known there and my Dad is a lot more well known. Last year I wanted to charter a boat from a friend's company. They could not rent me one as I don't have my RYA daysailer certificate. You can get one of these in 3 days if you are really keen. Your entire experience can be 3 days on a boat.

It doens't matter how fit you are, it's a real tough thing to drag yourself in, fully clothed in crappy weather at a few knots.. I've done it. God I was knackered at the end.

I do a lot of solo sailing and usually prefer it that way unless the people on board KNOW how to sail and you don't even remind the people to trim a sail. Not a lot of those folk around.. Mostly they are out there... solo sailing....

There was a show on liferafts the other day.. most of them dont work.... I'd hate to have to rely on a liferaft.. My god.. by the time you are getting into a liferaft you're pretty well luggered.

You have to get certificates now to take your boat into international waters.. If you need to go and get a third party to give you a certificate to tell you your boat is "safe" you really should not be on a boat.

Boatman.. I agree with you totally....
Jon Sims is offline   Reply With Quote