Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Do you do the work on your boat or does someone else?
I do everything on my boat including engine maintenance and sail repair. I am one self sufficent person. 29 52.73%
I do most everything on my boat, except for the things that I screw up, then I call the cavalry. 23 41.82%
I pay people to do most of the major projects on my boat but I handle the little things like varnishing and changing oil. 3 5.45%
I do not like to get my hands dirty and tend to muck up projects up when I start them. I leave the tuff stuff to the pros 1 1.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-02-2012, 18:50   #16

Re: DIY or Boatyard?

Like others here. I tend to do all the maintenance myself. Even spent a summer on the mooring learning about and trying to get my dead diesel engine working. Learned a lot that summer about diesel engines. Ended up scratching my head and hired a "diesel mechanic" paid him $75/hour to scratch his head Also learned that a lot of mechanics don't want to work on engines when they are inside of sailboats and those that do may not be the ones you want working on your boat:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: The compression tests and other tips.
Solved all my diesel engine problems by going to electric propulsion. I may have a sail loft make a sail for me. But, I'll more likely repair it when it needs to be done. Only thing my yard does is paint the bottom because my yard requires they paint the boat bottom. If I don't want them to paint it they will still charge me $250 to do absolutley NOTHING!

Old 20-02-2012, 18:56   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I am a sailor and I am going to say that power boaters are much maligned, I am sure Rebel Heart will agree. There are plenty of people who drive commercial boats who are way more legit than people sailing their brand new Beneteaus. I just wanted to throw that in there.

I should also mention that I hate wake, skee does, and most power boaters. What can I say? I am a walking contradiction.

Agreed. But as someone who works in a full service yard, I can tell you the vast majority of people who fall into that bracket are powerboaters. Often we never even meet the actual owner, he is too busy or away. Just the paid skipper. I can't think of a single customer under sail who didn't do something for himself in the yard in 20 years. I can see where it might sound prejudicial, but its a simple fact. They have all the money.

Old 20-02-2012, 19:05   #18

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I am a sailor and I am going to say that power boaters are much maligned, I am sure Rebel Heart will agree. There are plenty of people who drive commercial boats who are way more legit than people sailing their brand new Beneteaus. I just wanted to throw that in there.

I should also mention that I hate wake, skee does, and most power boaters. What can I say? I am a walking contradiction.
I'm afraind that a few particularly ammusing power guys earn the mmoniker for the group. In my early racing days one of the power guys kindly volunteered to place the windward mark on Saginaw Bay off Sebawang. He was a really nice guy with a really beautiful big old wood yacht. As one of the larger (lead) boats, we knew they guy could barely navigate to the river entrance and that the probablity of finding him anywhere near station was remote. He was a full five miles off and in water so shallow it was questionable to round him.

Our present slip is opposite a very popular restaurant with valet boat parking and live bands. The entertainment factor is really high. Steady stream of drug runner power boats idling at 200 Db - drivers with heads on backwards and bored looking deck ornaments draped all over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7110090.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	37701   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7100070.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	37702  

Name:	P7110100.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	37703   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0033.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	37704  

Name:	DSCF0362.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	37705   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0370.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	37706  

Name:	P6190039.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	37707  
Old 20-02-2012, 19:13   #19

Most jobs can be done by most people if they are prepared to spend the time to research and then do the job. Often the difference between someone who is handy and a "professional" is access to quality tools. Personaly i am happy to do a job even if it "costs" as much to do it provided i can learn and come out of the other end with the tools to do that job (hopefully other, jobs as-well). I have been lucky when i have had boats on the slip or in yards that when i have not had the skills others have been willing to show me. Again have good tools helps to encourage others to assist. Where, due to circustances i have had to get other to do the work for me (paid or unpaid) i have always been as hands on, or at least watching, to learn what i can.

But i still have a lot to learn,
Old 20-02-2012, 19:41   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

As a compulsive DIYer, I have noticed that by the time I finish a job that is new to me I often have learned all the things that I really needed to know before I started.

Sometimes I remember enough of them to keep me from making the same old mistakes the second time I attempt that job.

But I'm just too damn cheap to pay the current labour rates, often charged without consideration of the lack of skill/experience of the labourer. (Not you, Minaret!)

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-02-2012, 20:04   #21

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

I do everything now, but once I escape out of this country it will be 3, definitely 3 and without the varnishing.
Oil change only.
Old 20-02-2012, 21:59   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I was lucky I grew up the son of a Comm. Fisherman, was one myself and in so being a comm fisherman you learn to do everything you can and ask others who know what you don't to show you the right way and after a bunch of years you become a less broke fisherman because you can repair you own boat and need little or no Yard work done ! Ive always helped anyone I could in Marinas and anchorages around the world over the years, sometime chargeing those with money and sometimes for free from those who were a little short. And many have helped me also!! Just ask folks in your Marina if they know what you need and you would be suprised how quick most of will help you out ! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
Old 20-02-2012, 22:11   #23

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I do most everything. However I do evaluate a job based on the cost of special tools. If the special tool is expensive enough and I consider it a one time use, I hire it done.
Old 20-02-2012, 22:34   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40 cc

Do pretty much everything but the bottom paint. Through hulls, installing gender, water maker etc. rebuilding outboards, electrical, instruments. Not working helps. If I ever end up with a job again I'll probably have to hire out some of the more time consuming jobs so that I can actually sail. Yes, I own a *gasp* Beneteau.
Old 20-02-2012, 22:56   #25
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Some leading questions in this poll. At the top of the four selections is the boast, "I am a self-sufficient person." At the bottom, there is little more than a confession of insufficiency for the miscreant who tends to "muck up" projects.

Goodness, isn't there a way to be a do-it-yourself boater without engaging in self-righteousnes? What about the highly competent professional who works hard five days a week and then wants to spend the weekend sailing rather than sanding? Is there a place for these people in the forum?

Allow me to suggest a whole 'nother way to answer this poll: "I work hard and make a good living, and I enjoy being able to hire competent, hard-working professionals from among the waterfront community to work on my boat, especially if it frees me up to spend more of my precious leisure time on the water. "
Old 20-02-2012, 23:19   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I did everything on our boat, built it, faired and painted it, fitted it out, launched it, built the rig, stepped it.. except for the gasfitting and making the sails.
Old 20-02-2012, 23:21   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantodd View Post
Do pretty much everything but the bottom paint. Through hulls, installing gender.....
Installing gender?
Old 20-02-2012, 23:32   #28

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Installing gender?
From what I understand installing gender is done in Thailand.
Old 20-02-2012, 23:34   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Bundaberg Queensland/Lake Bolac Victoria, Australia
Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I did everything on our boat, built it, faired and painted it, fitted it out, launched it, built the rig, stepped it.. except for the gasfitting and making the sails.
With my first boat i did as above including the gasfitting.....it was my gas barbie fixed to the aft deck.....ROFLMAO!!

That's probably a bit to self-righteousnes though, so i shall shut up.....
Old 21-02-2012, 01:36   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44

I have done almost everything on Boracay.

The big exception is that I'll now pay to have the antifouling and related slipway work done. Mainly because it is time critical and I hate working to deadlines.

I also paid to have the gas installed (legal requirement), and to have rigging work that involved going up the mast done.

I'll also pay for help where heavy lifting is involved (like putting in the engine and new batteries).

It's not that I like doing the work. It's that I can't afford to pay more than $70 an hour plus levies and markups, all rounded up.

Tags
boatyards

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: