Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2013, 16:48   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: cruising Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylo9576 View Post
It absolutely sickens me to read blogs with underlying racial messages like rigomortis's. "NGO's" (codeword)..............
I wonder if you know what NGO stands for? Just in case it is:

Non-Government Organizations

as an example - The Red Cross

I don't know what codeword you had in mind.
Old 24-07-2013, 17:04   #17
Marine Service Provider

Jeeez Luigi ...you sure know how to stir up a hornets nest , don't ya
Old 24-07-2013, 17:17   #18

Boat: wharram tiki 26

You sir, have no idea of what you speak. I suppose Egyptians/Morrocans are not true Africans in your eyes.
Old 24-07-2013, 17:30   #19

Re: Cruising Africa

Not really!
It's a new day and it's time for some new thoughts and thinking in this community (sailing). It's not just South Africa, sailing in central and south America is changing also. The indigenous people in those area's are not going to continue to bow down to sailor's simply because they are Caucasoid on a sailboat. As witnessed on this site there is more and more piracy and plunder by natives of these continents and it's not going to get better til we understand what we are dealing with. What's the answer? I don't have the answer but there are some very intelligent people on this site who might contribute. I would like to travel to those pristine destinations someday without worry of being killed over my laptop computer or a couple pieces of paper named dollars. I just believe we (mankind) can get better and the "good (bad) ole boys" days are pretty much history. We have to be smarter and wiser than the petty criminals of south and central america and we must stay out of political area's that do not benefit sailing." that's all I have to say about that." (Forest Grump)
Old 24-07-2013, 17:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
You sir, have no idea of what you speak. I suppose Egyptians/Morrocans are not true Africans in your eyes.

You sir did not read my original entry!

"Africa, for the most part, is a black continent." This is a quote from my original message. For the most part means's exactly that! I am fully aware Africa is a diaspora but the forum is reference SA.

I am done, i have said all i need to say!
Old 24-07-2013, 17:41   #21

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Mate if you arrive on a yacht in some godforsaken fly blown part of the world thinking the locals will see you as a brother and not an opportunity then you are sadly misinformed.
You seem to be pushing the ''noble savage'' line here. You may be better off seeing human beings for the some of their experiences/quality of life.People are shaped by their world, not your perceptions of them.
Go and ask a Zimbabwean farm worker how happy he is now that he has no income since Bob Mugabe stole all the farms off White Africans.
Old 24-07-2013, 17:57   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

So is the reason we don't hear about cruisers visiting most of Africa is that it is just too hard to sail too?

I can see this on the west side but that leaves a lot of shoreline.
Old 24-07-2013, 18:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Mate if you arrive on a yacht in some godforsaken fly blown part of the world thinking the locals will see you as a brother and not an opportunity then you are sadly misinformed.
You seem to be pushing the ''noble savage'' line here. You may be better off seeing human beings for the some of their experiences/quality of life.People are shaped by their world, not your perceptions of them.
Go and ask a Zimbabwean farm worker how happy he is now that he has no income since Bob Mugabe stole all the farms off White Africans.
Not pushing "noble savage" just not believing in white supremacy. I have not seen where Mugabe has killed thousands of whites like the leaders of apartheid did and I believe in violence to protect myself and family. Robert Mugabe is an easy target as are most leaders of African countries. My point was, and still is, white people are not always Afric'a savior's. What is it that you think the white farmer, in Zimbabwe is doing that a black person (farmer), properly trained, cannot do with that land?
Old 24-07-2013, 18:18   #24

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Our boat is in Simonstown now and we will continue our journey north in November/December. Very much recommend South Africa even if it is tough to get to. We went for two weeks to Kruger and elsewhere to see the animals and a week to Lesotho from Richards Bay - also a terrific side trip. People in South Africa were incredibly nice and helpful and if you are sensible the crime threat is OK. I think SA is at a very dangerous point in its history though. Economic growth is very low at a time when Africa is growing faster than any other continent, yes including Asia. The government is corrupt and ineffective and the country has a huge problem with income disparity that is not getting any better. There is a huge poor young generation who only see that democracy has aided those at the top, white and black, and want more. I really like the country a lot but am not too hopeful unless real political change happens.

After we leave SA we hope to stop in Namibia and possibly Senegal and Gambia but there not too many places on the west coast that I find appealing from a safety perspective.
Old 24-07-2013, 18:29   #25

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Several decades ago, as a teen I lived in Egypt. While the landscape is among the best in the world to visit, you could not do any business without bribery of government employees. Sailing and snorkeling Alexandria's Mediterranean coast was a favorite past time. Cruising the Nile, from Cairo to Luxor were dream trips very few could imagine. When it came to processing visas/travel permits and getting around, a lot of money was needed to grease your way; that is the reality of life there. Roads were always over-crowded, noisy and the smell of air pollution was everywhere. While Egypt is in Africa, most Egyptians negatively looked down at Africans who were not white Muslim Arabs; tolerance of foreigners was as good as the size of your bribery/wallet. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to sail Egypt, in today's turbulent times. You cannot go through the Suez Canal without a large sum of money being paid under the table, even if you were fluent in Arabic. The bottom line...Why bother? There are plenty of places in the world to visit, without the hassles of government corruption.

Mauritz
Old 24-07-2013, 18:51   #26

Boat: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylo9576 View Post
And on your point of "people in the next village killing each other" guess that's sorta like Germans killing French and British, Romans killing, Carthaginians, US killing Japanese, Syrian government killing rebel Syrians. Warring is a human dynamic since the beginning of time. As I said, your pointy is simply racist and you should reexamine your position on Africa and its survival. Caucasians are not Africa's saviour's. All they have done is tried to enslave and prosper from enslavement, pardon me, new name, apartheid!
Hey. The Japanese started it with us. Just saying.
Old 24-07-2013, 18:58   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

having been a "tourist" in africa with a fn browning,7.62 rifle i find your idaellic percecption of our african bretheren beautifully enlightening................have you ever been there?

PS good TROLL....the broderbond is alive and well, we remeber the congo,and biafra,and brazaville...bob dinard rules ko
Old 24-07-2013, 19:12   #28

Boat: Alberg 37

ok, enough. I came hear looking for info on stopping in Africa, not a morality lesson. Now back to cruising info on visiting the place...
Old 24-07-2013, 19:32   #29

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya BlueMoose! I recommend that you visit French Polynesia, Tonga, Fiji, Australia, the Maldives, BVI/USVI and the Grenadines, instead of Africa. These countries will offer you exceptional sailing waters and a feast to your senses.

Mauritz
Old 24-07-2013, 20:28   #30

Boat: Baltic 38DP

OK, last time I visit this thread. I thought this was about cruising planet Earth but some people have never been there, let alone Africa.

Onno
Closed Thread

Tags
Africa, cruising, africa