Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2009, 11:35   #46

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Me and Yvonne are going the same route as Holding pattern..I'm an X navy avionics tech. the wife is a master electrician,plus she has her 100 ton masters...I weld and sew and we both can rig ,sand and paint,rewire with the best of them. going to have a small tig and sewing machine and a hooka rig aboard. . were just going to bop around from marina to marina until we get the cruising buck we need . disappear .then do it again....that what her folk did for 17 years. this really blows me away....they spent 17 years on the hook and all they spent (besides the cost of the boat) was 43K(out of saving account). that's 2543.00 per year.....if they can do it............... Ed & Yvonne
Old 16-09-2009, 19:53   #47

Boat: Any time now!
Sounds amazing but I wouldn't envy the condition of their boat!
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 09:49   #48

Boat: 1980 Moody 33 C/C & 50ft Steel Houseboat
Here's what I have finally hit on after many years trying to fiqure out how to make money towards retirement, cruise often, and cruise well. I am in the M.E. doing contract work for the US gov't. I have no prior Military experience. There are currently many many US based companies hiring for contract workers. You make anywhere from 50-130K yr. Contracts are typically 1 year but I have heard some manage 6mo contracts. If you stay out of country 335 days in a 1 yr period, you pay no federal or state taxes. All expenses are paid when you are overseas. The days are long, but you get by by hanging out surfing on Cruiser's Forum!. Once you get established, you can take a contract when you run low or feel like working again. Even if you have just worked a customer service job or worked in a laundromat, they have a good job for you. If you have certified mechanical/medical/accting/admin skills, they have a need for you. The Soldiers are absolutely GREAT to work with, and you are helping out your country at the same time.
You can cruise a long time on 50-130K for a years work.

Stay thirsty, my friends...
Rvrratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 13:35   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrratt View Post
Here's what I have finally hit on after many years trying to fiqure out how to make money towards retirement, cruise often, and cruise well. I am in the M.E. doing contract work for the US gov't. I have no prior Military experience. There are currently many many US based companies hiring for contract workers. You make anywhere from 50-130K yr. Contracts are typically 1 year but I have heard some manage 6mo contracts. If you stay out of country 335 days in a 1 yr period, you pay no federal or state taxes. All expenses are paid when you are overseas. The days are long, but you get by by hanging out surfing on Cruiser's Forum!. Once you get established, you can take a contract when you run low or feel like working again. Even if you have just worked a customer service job or worked in a laundromat, they have a good job for you. If you have certified mechanical/medical/accting/admin skills, they have a need for you. The Soldiers are absolutely GREAT to work with, and you are helping out your country at the same time.
You can cruise a long time on 50-130K for a years work.
Can you give me a couple of URL's on such opportunities or suggeted Google search words - please.

I think it is unlikely that I would do this but I would like to explore the opportunities. If nothing else it might give me a sufficient sense of a fall back plan to take the leap knowing I have a spot to land.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 13:55   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Can you give me a couple of URL's on such opportunities or suggeted Google search words - please.

I think it is unlikely that I would do this but I would like to explore the opportunities. If nothing else it might give me a sufficient sense of a fall back plan to take the leap knowing I have a spot to land.
Go to Indeed.com forums/search KBR. Huge following of people there looking for or currently work overseas...not just KBR opportunities. Very, very helpful group of people...please spend some time reading the threads or search some keywords first before asking too many questions...most have been asked already. You can be well informed as to what/where/how just by spending time reading previous posts.

Old 18-09-2009, 21:04   #51

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Be wary of any claims that you do not have to pay US taxes as a US citizen when you live and work outside the USA. The rules are complicated and you had best consult several tax experts prior to assuming anything.
>>>> Under U.S. tax laws, the worldwide income of any U.S. citizen or resident alien is subject to tax. It doesn't matter if you're living in the United States or overseas, or the money came to you as wages, independent contractor payments or unearned income from investments, pensions, rents or royalties. The Internal Revenue Service is due its legal percentage. <<<<< That said, there is a quite large "exemption" for a base amount of wages - it used to be $87600 you could lop off the bottom and then pay tax on the remaining. If you remain a citizen of the USA you are obliged to report and pay taxes - after all the exemptions and deductions are accounted for - for any and all income you have, regardless of the source and your location.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 08:11   #52

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Go to Indeed.com forums/search KBR.
Got a better link?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 10:24   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Be wary of any claims that you do not have to pay US taxes as a US citizen when you live and work outside the USA. The rules are complicated and you had best consult several tax experts prior to assuming anything.
>>>> Under U.S. tax laws, the worldwide income of any U.S. citizen or resident alien is subject to tax. It doesn't matter if you're living in the United States or overseas, or the money came to you as wages, independent contractor payments or unearned income from investments, pensions, rents or royalties. The Internal Revenue Service is due its legal percentage. <<<<< That said, there is a quite large "exemption" for a base amount of wages - it used to be $87600 you could lop off the bottom and then pay tax on the remaining. If you remain a citizen of the USA you are obliged to report and pay taxes - after all the exemptions and deductions are accounted for - for any and all income you have, regardless of the source and your location.
The exemption is currently 94,000. Correct to consult a good Tax adviser regarding details. Situation is a bit different (better) when working in a war zone or for US contractor. Again 335 days is the rule. I just have my company take the taxes out, then have my accountant fiqure it out at tax time and get the money later...that way if for some reason I am unable to stay out for 335 days I am covered.

That link I gave you is the best one out there. Try googling keywords like military/contractor/civillian contract work overseas, etc.
Some companies that hire would be IAP, Dynacorp, KBR, Fluor, etc,etc. Lots of jobs out there for this right now...you just have to look.

Old 19-09-2009, 15:08   #54

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:

That link I gave you is the best one out there. Try googling keywords like military/contractor/civillian contract work overseas, etc.
Some companies that hire would be IAP, Dynacorp, KBR, Fluor, etc,etc. Lots of jobs out there for this right now...you just have to look.
Not really good at searching.

got this.
Old 23-09-2009, 11:44   #55

Literally thousands out there...use that link I gave you and then search the threads...they have a listing of over 50 companies HIRING NOW. Put some effort into your search and you will find them. Just "google" the words I gave you and you will find the site. Key your resume to the qualifications the specific job is looking for, yes that means you will need a template resume and have to adapt it to each job offering. Once you have a few "templates" it is only a matter of a few minutes to modify each resume to each companies job postings. If this is too difficult, computer wise...get help. Go to your local job center and they will assist you. This is just too good of a deal to pass up for many people and worth the effort.

Old 27-09-2009, 11:58   #56

Boat: Bruce Roberts 42' steel cutter IWALANI
Well, my line of work is confirmed as seasonal employment without prejudice. I work for Matson and Horizon Lines as 2nd or 3rd officer. I've worked as Master on towing vessels which demanded a definite commitment with a steady rotation. As a member of the Masters, Mates, and Pilots out of Honolulu I can work with rotary shipping based on a 120 day commitment. Relief jobs can be anywhere from two weeks to 60 days and your off for as long as you can handle it. But to get to this level in the maritime industry will take some time and money. I started sailing as an ordinary seaman on tankers and frieghters in the Persian Gulf war. Only armed with years of seatime and study guides accompanied with other officers on watch I worked my way up to Master. I've been sailing on our boat the Iwalani for eigth months now. Soon as we get to Hawaii it's time to go back to work and do it all over again.

Aloha,

Cptn Stringer
Iwalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 15:46   #57

Curious as to where you have found a 1 yr. RN program??? Thanks much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsaloft View Post
I like this forum because it is exploring questions that we are trying to answer --- not having the full cruising kitty plus retirement $$ stashed, how do we get out and go while not draining our savings fully?

What are some work areas that would support seasonal employment -- work tons for 6 months, as a couple, and then cruise for 6 months?

My work is possibly compatible with this, although there are some details to work out in terms of currency and other things --- I could see trying to figure out a gig to fly helicopter fire or utility work during the summer tourist or fire season in N America, then try to go sailing during the winter. At first blush, this sounds ideal, but has a couple of tradeoffs that are hard to work around --- first, work like that takes me away from home/family for 6 months at a time, and then the other 6 months my partner and I disappear cruising -- so in short, there isn't "home time" built in, as well as extended absence from my primary partnership, not my ideal (we cruise together b/c we like spending time together....)

So, I think about things like:
- Getting my RN in a one year program, then working as a traveling nurse for 6 months, then being on the boat. Possible? Are there licensing and currency issues that would stop this?
- Construction trades in the Rockies with an on and off season?

What other ideas have folks come up with, and anyone doing them successfully?

There is always the "what do you do with the boat for the 6 months you are gone" question.........
1gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 15:53   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gypsy View Post
Curious as to where you have found a 1 yr. RN program??? Thanks much.
There aren't any unless you already have LPN.

And then it usually takes two more because of prerequisites.
Old 19-10-2009, 15:55   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipp50 View Post
I am a Master Diver and instructor and also a Captain.
I do ok on $$$$ and sail wherever or whenever I like.
I've thought about becoming dive certified to instruct several times but it seems to be a "hidden" job market or I'm just not looking in the right places?? I am competent at HVAC/Refrigeration and electronics but would rather teach diving just not sure there is work out there?? Do you work more as a Captain or Master Diver??
1gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 19:37   #60

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I knew one guy who was a "house painter" in the Chicago area. He made a bundle of money over the summer and then went cruising in the Caribbean in the winter. Since his work was "referrals" and very quality work he was never out of demand.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote