Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-05-2008, 11:29   #31

Boat: n/a yet...
So I posted the earlier question about any good info re: online schools... Then I was rereading some posts and noticed the google banner at the top of the page advertising nursing schools... Wow, that's a little scary. Google has eyes everywhere.

Old 28-05-2008, 14:05   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macopa View Post
... Wow, that's a little scary. Google has eyes everywhere.
And like goldfish we so soon forget and go about our business.

Old 28-05-2008, 14:21   #33

Goldfish!!! That's what I feel like so often!! I knew it related to something....
Old 28-05-2008, 23:34   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yes the Mod and Admin team stay up late at night watching and reading every single thread and we match advertising links to the threads. It's a hell of a lot of work, so take pity on us.
Nah just joking, It's only a word identification thingy. Google is tied up the site and so it looks for identifiable words and then places related topics and links. So no, no big brother watching.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 06:31   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
So... If we all start using words like "boat babes" and "Bikini Girls" and "french maid outfits" good things will happen?

Maybe we need a cruisersforum word replacement glossary:

Prop = screw
Stern = a**
Cruising Kitty = (OK I better stop here...)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 06:43   #36

GENIOUS!! (que Guiness toast)

So I was motoring along when ______. Any takers?
Old 16-06-2008, 14:29   #37

I am a Master Diver and instructor and also a Captain.
I do ok on $$$$ and sail wherever or whenever I like.
Old 20-05-2009, 23:01   #38

Boat: 1977 Newport 30 MkII
This is exactly what I have planned.

We are selling the house and looking at about 65k in hand when all is said and done.
I figure on spending half of it on the boat and a little more on some upgrades or repairs if needed.

At that point I will plan on spending spring and summer here (Oregon) living aboard the boat and working as a painter until the season ends. Worst case that will leave me 6-7k saved to live on while cruising Oct - Mar or so. That should be more than enough to cover living expenses and some maintenance costs. Right?

I think of it as an early retirement. Although I am only 27 Im really looking forward to cruising. Just cant wait to get out of here, thats for sure.
Old 21-05-2009, 00:05   #39
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
Hi Windsaloft,
As you can tell by the posts, there are many ways to approach this equation, and it mostly depends on where your expertise and desires lie. If you have even an A.B. seaman's card you can work about anywhere on the coast of the US, and ship to about anywhere in the world. The Blue water shipping hitches usually run for 4 months at a go. If you have a Captain's license you can usually get seasonal work about anywhere, if you combine it with a dive master's certificate, you can work about any resort in the world. You can also start catching gigs doing yacht deliveries. My Wife and I plan to commercial fish with our boat in Alaska during the summer and then work our way down to Mexico for the winter months, and then return to Alaska with a hold full of frozen albacore to sell on our return. Currently I am working on large commercial vessels overseas until the boat is paid for, then we will extend our vacation time to all year round, with a month or two of fishing to keep us in extra goodies and repairs. I know of some folks who would take their sailing vessels out with a couple of coolers full of ice and in a couple of days bring back a couple of coolers full of fresh fish and are able to barter and sell them to the local restaurants and keep a little money coming. The only limitation is your imagination and your willingness to put in the effort.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:08   #40

My wife and I are considering starting a summer festival/fair food concession business. A truck and a pop-up tent for a cheap start and see where it takes you.

I have the tools and skills for home remodeling and repairs but it's tough to line up enough work in a row to be able to leave for 6 months and have any clients when you return.

We've tried to make some money via the internet at JC McDowell and the Family Unit , but it really is a full time job to make more than a little bit of cash.

We also make and sell some silver jewelry but it too only brings in a little bit of cash at a time (after expenses).

I've been considering taking some diesel mechanic classes to get certified as that seems to be a mainstay. The RN classes are probably out of my skill set, but seem like a good way to go if that's your cup of tea.

We're still working on it and it does seem that you can always find work when you really need it.
Old 13-08-2009, 09:28   #41

So this is pretty much what ive done for the last six years. Not as a nurse or as a sailor but more as a vagabond.

Here's the seasonal site for work all around the country

CoolWorks.com - Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places

Its mostly outdoor hospitality guiding etc, but any time you want work there they are. They have a Help needed now section that can get you a job in an instant. If ya want to stay employed you chase whitewater and then switch to skiing.

Check out seasonal pros. They are higher end jobs. Alot of people in whitewater save and spend the other six months down in SA. Unless you have some serious qulaifications you can expect minimum wage to maybe 10 an hour.

On Mt rainier our "Medical Officer" was an EMT. Things to look for are provided or subsidized housing, and hourly wage, dont take salary, you will get worked to death.

At NOC on staff we had a former CFO and Medical doctor among many others as well as some part timers out of atlanta that had some high powered jobs. They might work out if you are simply looking to replenish the kitty.

Good luck.
Old 14-08-2009, 19:09   #42

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
I have seen some people mentioning becoming nurses so they could have employment just about anywhere they may travel. As a nurse, I`m going to strongly advise not to go into nursing unless you absolutely have a passion and desire to do this profession. Its long hours and dirty work. Its not like ER and House! Crazy amounts of stress! Ask yourself these questions. Can I sit and watch someone die and not be able to do anything to help? Can you then come back the next day and do it again and again? After you lose a patient and the housekeepers clean the room and you admit another patient to that exact bed in less than 30 minutes and you can`t show anykind of emotions about what just happened. Also the burn out rate is about 5-7yrs for any new nurse if they last that long. When in 2-3yrs when I start to do a little cruising I doubt I will ever re-enter the nursing field. Also there is about a 65% chance they you will not even make it thru the entire course. My class started with 35 students and we graduated 17 and of those 17 only 12 are still nursing that was in 2003. Class after us started with 45 and graduated 13.

Please no one enter nursing because you can always find a job!
Old 15-08-2009, 10:29   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattcatdaddy View Post
I have seen some people mentioning becoming nurses so they could have employment just about anywhere they may travel. As a nurse, I`m going to strongly advise not to go into nursing unless you absolutely have a passion and desire to do this profession. Its long hours and dirty work. Its not like ER and House! Crazy amounts of stress! Ask yourself these questions. Can I sit and watch someone die and not be able to do anything to help? Can you then come back the next day and do it again and again? After you lose a patient and the housekeepers clean the room and you admit another patient to that exact bed in less than 30 minutes and you can`t show anykind of emotions about what just happened. Also the burn out rate is about 5-7yrs for any new nurse if they last that long. When in 2-3yrs when I start to do a little cruising I doubt I will ever re-enter the nursing field. Also there is about a 65% chance they you will not even make it thru the entire course. My class started with 35 students and we graduated 17 and of those 17 only 12 are still nursing that was in 2003. Class after us started with 45 and graduated 13.

Please no one enter nursing because you can always find a job!

Yep!
Agreed.
Old 15-08-2009, 11:31   #44

Boat: Bristol 34
Nursing

Take heed of the advice that nursing is not for everyone. As an old paramedic I can attest to the fact that it takes a special personality. However, there are major benefits and if you can endure the negatives, then nursing fits well into a cruising lifestyle. An added bonus is the knowledge and skills acquired give you just a little more freedom and independence offshore. Of course the best part of nursing is that you get to wear pajamas and comfy shoes to work.

There are some other educational opportunities to consider that might fit in well with a cruising lifestyle. Sewing and sail repair ($800 to replace my bimini !!!) Arc welding. Electronics. Diesel mechanics. Diving instructor, etc.etc. These work skills take less time to learn than nursing, can often lead to odd jobs while cruising and are generally in demand around any marina. One fellow I know makes a nice side income splicing rope at $25 a pop!!.

Yet no amount of education can replace and adventurous spirit, willingness to learn and adapt, hard work and positive attitude.

Old 31-08-2009, 12:13   #45

Boat: Columbia sloop 24
I am a substitute teacher. I work whenever I want...except in the summer. It pays around $60 to $80 per day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: