Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-05-2008, 07:47   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macopa View Post
Sarah-
On becoming an RN. I want to make sure I understand you. For me, since I have a bachelors degree in business, if I wanted to get into nursing the two options I would have would be 2 years in school (associates RN), or 4 years (_RN...I forget the designation)? Do you know if nursing schools take into consideration classes taken for an undergraduate degree? Also - Do you know what opportunities exist in hospitals for Paramedics?
I can step in here.

The prerequisites here at HCC, PHCC and other community colleges require one year (about what it takes, time wise). These are things like Anatomy, Physiology, Biology, Statistics etc. After that it is a 2 year program. The travel agencies have long lists of skills that you rate yourself on. They may take a nurse with one year of experience (because of the shortage) but don't really want to. Their favorite line is "hit the ground running", meaning you get little or no orientation and are expected to perform to institution (often called community standards) protocols, policies and procedures. While one may think that all places would be the same, you will find that once in the medical field, it is not the case. Most institutions have created their own forms (I call it artwork). They may have the same info on them but the arrangement is not. This may sound simple to those not experienced but a familiar form, for example can be filled out in 30 seconds if you are familiar with it. If not, each blank must be read to see what is wanted. Like name order, date format, abbreviations, etc. Also, in our litigious society you are working under your own license and must protect it. If something happens, you may think the hospital will be on your side, since they always tell you they are, but it is not usually so. You are a "hot potato".

Too much detail sorry.

Paramedics are needed in every ER that I know of.

Want to make more money with no license to lose, better hours, less responsibility, less chance of injury? Be an ultrasonographer (ultrasound machines). Though I hear licensing is on the way - so what - how are you going to hurt someone with a rubber-tipped probe? I don't think there is quite the demand for them though - wonder why?

I am not trying to dissuade you but to inform. I believe if one knows the pitfalls then one can better avoid them. When I sail or travel I plan for the worst. I am accused of dwelling on the negative. Oh well.

My favorite boat of all time had a swing keel too!!

Old 21-05-2008, 07:55   #17

Boat: n/a yet...
Therapy-
I didn't/don't feel that response was negative at all...just composed with experience. I have two family members that are RN's (20+ years) and they say the same, more or less. I feel knowing the pitfalls is one of the most important things. In my mind, I don't know if healthcare would be something I'd make a career out of...long term there are other thigns that interest me (oceanography, environmental science, engineering, etc.)...but if I "might" spend the next 2-5 years (or more) cruising I'd like to have the best possible chance to work along the way, hence the RN/Paramedic route. Plus I imagine having that knowledge and skillbase is clutch on the high seas and at anchor in poor countries or isolation...

Another question: What are the differences in what a Paramedic would do vs. what an RN would do (in a hospital setting)? Do you know what the difference is pay would be?

Old 21-05-2008, 09:08   #18

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Seasonal work

Alaska fishing industry does a huge amount of summer season hiring. It can be anything from Office staff to forklift or dock worker, working on a tender, or fishing to...you name it. If anyone wants a contat number just PM me.

My self I work 4 months a year, two months at a shift in Alaska and have plenty to do what we want. The boat gets dry stored here n Mexico, but I have left it on a mooring with a watch just fine also.

We are not cruising full time, we could, but we do live in Mexico most of a year, on the water and sail out from here.

jmolan - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
jmol_album - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
sancarloscondo - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 21-05-2008, 13:20   #19

Quote:
Therapy-
Another question: What are the differences in what a Paramedic would do vs. what an RN would do (in a hospital setting)? Do you know what the difference is pay would be?
Hi Macopa,

I agree with much of what Therapy has said! Schools absolutely look at transfer credits, but there are also specific pre-requisites such as those Therapy mentioned. An associates would be your fastest bet as you already have a bachelors degree.

I work in a Level 1 Trauma Center Emergency Department and in fact we do not use paramedics. I also work for a community hospital that DOES have their own paramedics. On that note, there are many many paramedic companies that you could work for.

In Massachusetts, you do have to be certified to be an Ultrasonographer, so I'm not sure where Therapy is coming from? Here in MA it is also a 2 year associates degree... the same for a Radiologic Technologist.

To answer your question about paramedics and RN's... Paramedics are primarily 1st responders. This means that when 911 is called EMT's arrive on the scene first, often with a Paramedic. Or, if the situation calls for it, the Paremedics are called in by EMT's. Paramedics are an integral part to our health care system. They perform CPR, are able to intubate (put a breathing tube in), start IV's and give medications. They are truly life savers pre-hospital. They also do transport on potentially unstable patients from facility to facility, and MedFlight.

In the hospital setting, the Paramedics assist with patient care, and start IV's, but they are primarily there to go out on calls (at least in my experience).

Nurses take over when the Paramedics drop off the patient. There are so many different aspects of nursing I couldn't even begin to describe. There is a different type and pace and area of interest for every nurse out there. In Emergency, the nurse works with the MD to continue to stabilize the patient, medicate, give emotional, spiritual, family, culturally approriate care ad naseum.

Paramedic schooling is usually faster than nursing, but I don't know a lot about it. In general, nurses make more $$ as their education and continued responsibility is greater.

Hope this helps!
Sarah
Old 21-05-2008, 14:21   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikona View Post
In Massachusetts, you do have to be certified to be an Ultrasonographer, so I'm not sure where Therapy is coming from?
It is just my pessimism coming out.
Nurses have a liscense. Others have a certification. There is a difference.
If one loses a lisence one cannot work - in that field.
Certifications are seldom revoked. Some institutions do not require a certification though they are fewer and fewer these days. Fewer Continuing Education units are required.

Also, in the past a doctor was a doctor. Now they are specialized as there is just too much to know. Nurses are now specialized also. I am in OR. If I went to the ER I could be a liability. Ditto for a cardiac telemetry unit.
Doing a lot of orthopedics in the past I remember the heart as the muscle that pumps the anitbiotics to the bone.

Having the RN "under the belt" and not as a lifelong career may not be a bad thing at all. These days persons are seemingly expected to change careers several times in a lifetime.

My hope is to change from CRNFA to BOAT BUM........and SOON!!

Best of luck.
Old 21-05-2008, 15:16   #21

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
I work on the bulk carrying ships. For every day i work i get a paid days leave. i can save as much leave up as i want and still be getting full pay while on my holidays. i am at the moment negotiating for them to fly me to and from work from such places as fiji, vanuatu, etc etc,so i can leave my boat in marinas there and just continue my trip each time and it looks like they will do it as long as i work for at least 3 months in one go.
Old 21-05-2008, 15:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking69 View Post
I work on the bulk carrying ships. For every day i work i get a paid days leave. i can save as much leave up as i want and still be getting full pay while on my holidays. i am at the moment negotiating for them to fly me to and from work from such places as fiji, vanuatu, etc etc,so i can leave my boat in marinas there and just continue my trip each time and it looks like they will do it as long as i work for at least 3 months in one go.
Oh man please tell me they're hiring!!! As an avid surfer, one of the most important aspects of my travels is to stay places that have great waves. A gig like that would be perfect!!!
Old 23-05-2008, 08:34   #23

I get what you are saying about licensure and certification... there is definitely more inherent risk in nursing in general. Makes all those checks we do worthwhile!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
My hope is to change from CRNFA to BOAT BUM........and SOON!!
Here here!!
Old 23-05-2008, 14:58   #24

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
Quote:
Oh man please tell me they're hiring!!! As an avid surfer, one of the most important aspects of my travels is to stay places that have great waves. A gig like that would be perfect!!!

for anyone who has large ship qualifications like engineer,officer, integrated rating(AB) or has lots of experience on ships (over 150 metres approx) you would get a job in a second.
Old 23-05-2008, 19:01   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat
[QUOTE][Another question: What are the differences in what a Paramedic would do vs. what an RN would do (in a hospital setting)? Do you know what the difference is pay would be?/QUOTE]

I was a paramedic for many years and agree with what has been said already but may be able to add a bit. I loved my job and would have done it for nothing, which is good because that's about what I was paid! After 11 years I was making $9.40/hr. I ended up going to medical school for many reasons but one of them was that the job of paramedic doesn't travel well. It would be nearly impossible to find work in another country and I want to be able to work as I cruise. Also, the job has become highly competitive due to TV recognition and it's use as a stepping stone to the fire department/law enforcement.

My girlfriend is a radiographer. 2 year program and easy to find a job just about anywhere. When I lived in a motorhome, many of my neighbors were traveling nurses and CT techs working 3-4 month contracts for and average of $40-$50/hr.

I once met a Canadian surveyor while traveling who would travel for 4 months every year when winter shut his job down.

Quote:
for anyone who has large ship qualifications like engineer,officer, integrated rating(AB) or has lots of experience on ships (over 150 metres approx) you would get a job in a second.
Think about it Macopa! There is a maritime academy in SF where you can get this stuff. Probably one in FL too.

Mike
Old 24-05-2008, 17:22   #26

Boat: None yet
Macopa
I am Family Nurse Practitioner. Currently working on getting debt free and going to build my own catamaran. I will then work for 3-6 months and sail for 9.

There is now a Nursing Compact. This allows you to work on your own states license in another member state without becoming licensed in that state. An RN license will also open foreign countries to you for longer stays that just a tourist visa. YOu can even be employed in many countries that you would not otherwise open to you. There are programs on the internet where you do your classes online and then fly to a location to all your clinicals for that semester in a 1 month time frame.

You will always have a job. When people have money, they go the dr, when they don't have money, they get sick and go to the dr. You will always be busy.

Ron
Old 27-05-2008, 12:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by priusron View Post
Macopa
I am Family Nurse Practitioner. Currently working on getting debt free and going to build my own catamaran. I will then work for 3-6 months and sail for 9.

There is now a Nursing Compact. This allows you to work on your own states license in another member state without becoming licensed in that state. An RN license will also open foreign countries to you for longer stays that just a tourist visa. YOu can even be employed in many countries that you would not otherwise open to you. There are programs on the internet where you do your classes online and then fly to a location to all your clinicals for that semester in a 1 month time frame.

You will always have a job. When people have money, they go the dr, when they don't have money, they get sick and go to the dr. You will always be busy.

Ron
Very good points... Can you recommend any quality online programs? I'm going to do some research on my own as well...
Old 27-05-2008, 15:50   #28

Boat: S2 11.0A
Windsaloft,
I work in the summer as a captain on a tourist boat. They really don't need me in the winter and are happy to see me go. My wife is a retired school teacher so we even managed to keep the house.
I know of another couple of cruisers who split the year as harbormasters in a marina. They each work 6 months and cruise the other 6.
Dave
Old 28-05-2008, 04:02   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also:

"Health Care Traveler":
Healthcare Traveler - Travel nursing, travel nurse, and allied rehab therapy travel career info

"Travel Nurse Magazine":
Travel Nurse Magazine - The Leading Travel Nursing Magazine

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 07:20   #30

Thanks Gord.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: