Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2011, 14:03   #1

Crossing the Gulf Stream in March

I'll be crossing the from Florida to the Bahamas sometime in March with my wife and five and two year old girls. I'm wondering what the weather is like in March. I know I'll want to go on south or west, nothing out of the north and preferrably not east. I haven't been over there in a while but it seems that 5 to 7' in the Gulf Stream can be quite uncomfortable as it is choppy and unorganized. I want my youngsters first blue water experience to be pleasant and I have time- what is my go forecast?
tugboatjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 14:23   #2
jzk

Re: crossing the Gulf Stream in March

Just wait for a nice weather window, and you will be fine. I have seen it both rocking in March, and dead calm. What kind of boat?
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 14:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Crossing the Gulf Stream in March

Good weather can present itself at any month, but there seems to be more "northers" blowing for days at a time in the winter. By march these become less frequent, but your success will be most likely if you remain flexible. If you are prepared to cross from Lake Worth Inlet and the weather doesn't allow, then you can take the casual trip down to Lauderdale and anchor in Lake Sylvia. If it's still not favorable, you can take a day down to Miami. These moves, while waiting for better weather, will present you with a more favorable vector with the Gulfstream aiding your passage. Some don't choose this strategy because they are troubled by all the bridges on the ICW. This is a consideration. Some, like myself, have no problem with bridges. I like to choose Pelican Harbor as an overnight anchorage between Palm Beach & Lauderdale and make very easy days during the poor weather waiting.

Tags
arc, gulf stream