Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2013, 17:36   #1

Cleaning Fenders & Life Vests

I have some old fenders I've been cleaning alternatively with bleach and Barkeeper's Friend with a Scotchbrite pad with varying success. Any suggestions for cleaning products or methods?

I also have some life preservers that could use some cleaning if possible, but I am nervous about using anything too caustic. One is a blue West Marine vest with a big rust stain (runoff from something else) and I have some typical orange Type II PFDs with general dirt/grime/mold. I was thinking of trying some OxyClean. Any tips here?

Lastly, I also have some dock lines with grime/barnacles. I am thinking this might be futile as the most effective agents might be the most caustic and compromise the lines, but I feel like I can never have too many lines so if there's any way of preserving them/cleaning them to any degree, I'm all for it. I soaked them in some OxyClean which seemed to help some. Any other suggestions? Should I just bite the bullet and toss 'em?

Thanks!
MrAntigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 18:16   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Cleaning Fenders, Life Vests.

Don't use acetone on the fenders. It works great but it damages the plastic leaving it sticky.

Whink sold in grocery stores, hardware stores and marine supply stores should remove the rust stains from the lifejacket. It's great at removing rust stains from gel coat as well.
Old 31-08-2013, 20:13   #3

Fenders: Paint brush & roller cleaner. Much easier and better than acetone.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Starbrite's Fender Cleaner works well enough. It's not magic; needs some elbow grease... but follow the directions and it works.

-Chris
Old 01-09-2013, 06:54   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I actually use Acetone and find it does not damage the plastic, but then I clean then only about twice a year.

Ive found the stuff sold to clean RIB tubes very good on fender.

dave
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I have found that a cheap Cleaner/Wax, which is mostly compound, works well on fenders and coated lifelines. Folks usually already have some aboard, so you can try it without investing any money. I wipe on liberally in small patches with sponge, clean cloth to buff off before cleaner wax dries. Works well on plastic cowls too, if they are not too fried.

Soaking lines in tide with bleach, then rinse well, final soak with water and Downey fabric softener. I never met a line/rope that deserved being thrown out. Even if you need to trim off or cut up, they will always come in handy
Old 03-09-2013, 00:44   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

If your fenders have gone gooey, throw them away, nothing works.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:47   #8
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAntigone View Post
I have some old fenders I've been cleaning alternatively with bleach and Barkeeper's Friend with a Scotchbrite pad with varying success. Any suggestions for cleaning products or methods?

I also have some life preservers that could use some cleaning if possible, but I am nervous about using anything too caustic. One is a blue West Marine vest with a big rust stain (runoff from something else) and I have some typical orange Type II PFDs with general dirt/grime/mold. I was thinking of trying some OxyClean. Any tips here?

Lastly, I also have some dock lines with grime/barnacles. I am thinking this might be futile as the most effective agents might be the most caustic and compromise the lines, but I feel like I can never have too many lines so if there's any way of preserving them/cleaning them to any degree, I'm all for it. I soaked them in some OxyClean which seemed to help some. Any other suggestions? Should I just bite the bullet and toss 'em?

Thanks!

Don't soak the lines in bleach. Put them in a large bin and soak them, adding some fabric softener. Vinegar will help get the salt out. They won't come out looking new, but they'll be quite pliable and usable.

Let the Barkeeper's Friend soak on the fenders. It will take a while but they'll come up cleaner each time. It's not terribly caustic. Don't use the liquid BF for tough jobs. Get the powder.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Don't soak the lines in bleach. Put them in a large bin and soak them, adding some fabric softener. Vinegar will help get the salt out. They won't come out looking new, but they'll be quite pliable and usable.

Let the Barkeeper's Friend soak on the fenders. It will take a while but they'll come up cleaner each time. It's not terribly caustic. Don't use the liquid BF for tough jobs. Get the powder.
The best way I have found to clean lines is to soak them in a large tub with oxy clean for a few days. Aggitating them a couple times a day. Then tie them like you would an extension cord. One loop through the next. So they don't get tangeled. Then run them through the washer with tide. Hang them, let them dry and then soak them in fabric softner for a day. Let them dry and they are ready to use. I have done many very dirty lines this way and they come out great.
SV Cavale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 18:57   #10

Magic eraser for fenders and coated lifelines. Works better than any chemicals I've tried.
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 19:16   #11

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Bio green clean. It is a great product. Soak the lines, rinse well. Use vinegar in the soaking water.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 19:35   #12

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
Magic eraser for fenders and coated lifelines. Works better than any chemicals I've tried.
Tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on fenders, works great. Works as black streak remover also.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 21:11   #13

Boat: Oyster 53
Re: Cleaning Fenders & Life Vests

I find that Simple Green detergent (liquid), a pair of rubber gloves and a scrunge (scotchbrite pad) get rid of just about anything on the fenders without damaging the rubber.

For lines, I am a great believer of throwing them in the washing machine. If you have a metal thimble on the end put it inside a few pairs of socks and clamp those on with a cable tie. That way you won't destroy the washer. Let the lines air dry.

If the dock lines are really disgusting more work will be needed and the pre-soaking mentioned above before tossing them in the washing machine will help a lot.

Just like my hair, I wash my lines every year.

Dhillen
Old 23-09-2013, 05:36   #14

Thanks for all the suggestions!
MrAntigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 13:41   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Don't do 3 strand nylon in the washing machine without some extra precautions. It can turn in inside out and unravel it.

Tags
cleaning, fender, paracelle