Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 17:49   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Chartering our boat in the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat White House View Post
Assuming you are a US Citizen, any of the US Territories would be my choice (St. Thomas, St Croix, Puerto Rico). My choice would be St. Thomas. At a minimum you will need:

1. Insurance that covers your commercial enterprise.

2. A Masters License acceptable to the US Coast Guard. I hear that in the USVI the Six-Pack has been expanded to allow eight paying passengers.

3. Equip and pass applicable US Coast Guard Inspections.

3. I would base out of Charlotte Amalie Harbour which is where the the cruise ships port. Anchoring-out in the harbour is free. There are many easy access places to pick-up passengers. Inexpensive party supplies (snacks, beer etc.).

4. Check with the Territorial Government regarding conducting business in the USVI just as you would in a mainland political subdivision (vendor's license, taxes).

5. See a lawyer about a business entity (LLC, Inc. etc.)

6. Stay clear of BVI Waters for day chartering for many reasons. By the time you sail to the BVI, customs in-and-out + fees the day is half gone. There is plenty to-do on St John and St Thomas.

7. Be prepared for head messes.
They stated they are Canadian. Only USA Citizens can hold a USA license and some venues dont recognize a USA license.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 18:45   #17
Marine Service Provider

You can't operate a foreign flag vessel in US commerce. Also a US flag vessel can't be owned by a non-US citizen. This pretty much eliminates Porto Rico, and the USVI as commercial venues. Foreign flag vessels (at least US and I assume Canadian) can operate commercially in the BVI but they must be operated by crew certified by BVI authorities. I've heard that the BVI has a reciprocal licensing arrangement for crew already licensed by the USCG but I'm not have any luck get a response from them.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 18:57   #18

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Cuba ,eh?
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 19:04   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
They stated they are Canadian. Only USA Citizens can hold a USA license and some venues dont recognize a USA license.
Incorrect. Non US citizens may acquire a USCG OUPV of less than 100 GRT . i.e. A six pack.
Old 04-05-2017, 19:31   #20

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Incorrect. Non US citizens may acquire a USCG OUPV of less than 100 GRT . i.e. A six pack.
there are more restructions than that (inland and green card)
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 20:03   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
there are more restructions than that (inland and green card)
OUPV with near coastal endorsement is valid up to 100 off shore of USVI as a "Non-self Governing Territory" of the United States. While they cannot acquire US Documentation they may state register their boat and fly an American Flag as a couple of thousand Canadians already do. Yes, of course they would also require a green card (I believe it's actually pink these days).
Old 05-05-2017, 04:25   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Do some research and find a friendly venue for your nationality.
That was the point of this thread. To determine what country would be easiest to setup shop for a Canadian.

At least now I know Puerto Rico and USVI is out...
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:35   #23

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

It would be nearly impossible as a Canadian with a Canadian flagged boat in the US Virgin Islands. We are subject to the same rules as the mainland. You would need a business license locally. You would need US migration visas to work in the US. Then you would need a Coast Guard license. I have no clue about getting a US Captains license as a foreign national.

As for the BVI's as stated you would need a trade license from the government as well as work permits. You likely will not get this without local connections or a belonger for a "partner".

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:37   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Interesting, will read up on that. Wonder if its just OUPV (6 PAX) or other limited licenses too?
Old 05-05-2017, 04:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
You can't operate a foreign flag vessel in US commerce. Also a US flag vessel can't be owned by a non-US citizen. ...
You can get an MRAD waiver to operate a foreign built vessel in USA waters, but not sure if its possible to do same for foreign flagged.

Either way, I think any USA territories will be a real challenge for the OP.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:43   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmast View Post
Cuba ,eh?
Probably a great market developing there as things change in Cuba. Get in early, but may be a while for the market to mature.

Who knows what a nightmare it may be to do business in Cuba...or maybe not.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:39   #27

Boat: Beneteau 461 46 feet

We chartered out of STT for 3 years. We did 1 week charters for 1 couple. I recommend you contact VICL (Virgin Islands Charteryacht League) in SST for more info and possibly join and let them get business for you.
Glen
Glen Ballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 17:03   #28

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

I worked for a sailing club, in Newport Beach, Cal, and was a U.S.C.G. licensed master, 100 tons now amended up to 500 tons near coastal.....instructing, on board, and class room, coastal piloting, marine weather, and lessons on boats up to 55 ft. Also, a charter capt. and flotila leader in the caribbean and south pacific. Plus delivery skipper.
]
Even with the 42 hrs on board training, and passing tests, and check outs, we had our own members messing up our boats. 25 to 55 footers. Non members were disasterous, and most had no clue, but the company would get greedy and need some money, so they would bare boat charter our boats to non members.

We bare boat thru out the planet, and love the boat owners who trust their vessels to the charter companies, but I would not put a boat in charter, bareboat, and even with qualified skipper taking out head boats on day trips.

Also, the U.S.C.G. gets involved with charters in American Waters, BVI I have no idea what there requirements and restrictions are.

I am very famaliar with proving actual sea time to sit for the capt. licenses, and the tests, and the boats up to U.S.C.G. inspection for sub chapter T. But , that is U.S. not any foreign nation.

Also, what a boat load of non sailor guests can do to boat, it is is amazing. And, you watching them to keep them safe. Especially a sailing vessel. That list goes on and on.

As someone mentioned do your research, and do it thoroughly, and best to get all of the requirements, capt. licenses, inspections, biz lic., foreign person work permits, insurance, etc, in writing from the actual regs.

Personally, I would sail that very beautiful boat of yours, and enjoy the sailing life together as a team.

We follow all regs and procedures in flying and sailing and power boating and actually everything in life. Dont get busted with an illegal charter biz by a foreign govt.
Not good .

Comes down to having all your ducks in a row, and know all that is required, and then go into biz.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:29   #29

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

My wife and I have had our 44' catamaran in charter for 2.5 years now and run the boat as part of our LLC. Our experience has been decidedly different than those cited in this blog. Would we do it again? You bet. It's the only way we would have afforded a boat this big and outfitted for bluewater cruising. But not sure what your goals are if you're thinking of daysail charters. Crewed charters or bareboat?
PapaLulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:24   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaLulu View Post
My wife and I have had our 44' catamaran in charter for 2.5 years now and run the boat as part of our LLC. Our experience has been decidedly different than those cited in this blog. Would we do it again? You bet. It's the only way we would have afforded a boat this big and outfitted for bluewater cruising. But not sure what your goals are if you're thinking of daysail charters. Crewed charters or bareboat?

Do you do extended charters like month or more?
txgirllana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Caribbean, charter, rib