Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2009, 17:22   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
I would love to be held ashore for a momo. And if this wonder happens, I will hate myself looking longingly towards the wharf and the passing sails.

Life is a piece of cake, if you look at it; and it is probably best to be a wasteful son of a millionaire.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 09:49   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
there are ways to make fast equipment not previously fastened to the boat----and there are ways to fasten man to shore when man has not yet admitted to self or others his fear of the unknown -- one of the few things keeping folks to docks----i know folks who have left with sewing machines installed into the belly of their boats and i know folks who have retained ownership of companies via computer while they live their dreams.....have left dock and left sight of land and gone sailing.....and i know folks whojust worked waaay to hard at getting ready to be able to actually leave, as they were never ready----just always getting there-----we each have to choose our niche or make a new one ......gooood luck and smoooth sailing----i ran away from home to go sailing and will continue to do just that until my own ketch is able to sail long distances ......but i went sailing!! and i will go again many times over....~~~~~~~~~~_/)~~~~~~~~~~~!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 21:23   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I had more days sailing on others boats...than my own this year.

Something is wrong with this picture.......

The Office Guys sit at their cubicles and go sailing after work.

I work and then go to my "cubicle"

Is there a cure for this?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 07:15   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
If you are happy, go with the flow. It is not a sin to be happy on land running a thriving business, though sometimes we act like it is
I think it also might have to do with productivity. Sometimes it feels good to be productive, as you said, not about the money, but producing a quality product that people appreciate. Cruising can be a bit isolating, I sailed all through my twenties and in many ways it was a... selfish lifestyle. Please, I mean no offense to cruisers! Cruisers are the most generous bunch I have ever met. But after ten years of crewing/sailing I got the itch to be a part of society. Not the glam,, rich, big screen TV society, that holds no attraction for me. I guess "human race" would be a moe apt word. Anyways, I felt a need to contribute, so I became a nurse. Now I am ready to head out again and along the way I can help those in need in the ports I visit. Life takes us on detours, usually and its all good.
Hope that made sense, have fun,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 07:51   #20

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
If you are happy, go with the flow. It is not a sin to be happy on land running a thriving business, though sometimes we act like it is
I think it also might have to do with productivity. Sometimes it feels good to be productive, as you said, not about the money, but producing a quality product that people appreciate. Cruising can be a bit isolating, I sailed all through my twenties and in many ways it was a... selfish lifestyle. Please, I mean no offense to cruisers! Cruisers are the most generous bunch I have ever met. But after ten years of crewing/sailing I got the itch to be a part of society. Not the glam,, rich, big screen TV society, that holds no attraction for me. I guess "human race" would be a moe apt word. Anyways, I felt a need to contribute, so I became a nurse. Now I am ready to head out again and along the way I can help those in need in the ports I visit. Life takes us on detours, usually and its all good.
Erika
Here, Here, Great post OG. Hit the nail squarely on the head!

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 11:11   #21

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Erika
100%, 10/10, twenty-four / seven

Girl, you are talking!
Hug & respect,
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 11:59   #22

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Thanks for the inspiration..... we're selling the business... and making plans to do the HaHa in October..
We, the wife and I sat back and started talking about what we wanted to do with our lives and owning another business is not in the plans..
So I thank all of you for the kick in the butt...
On the other hand... if anyone wants a canvas shop in the California delta, all we want out of it is the cost of the inventory..
Its located in a upper end marina midway between Sacramento and Stockton and easy to get to by boat or car.. do a search for "OxBow Marina"
and it is a liveaboard marina, and my 45 foot slip will be up for rent in October..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 12:44   #23

Boat: Catalina 34
Off subject. What's with all the annoying...

bing ads that I am seeing for the first time.
On subject..
Have my own business and I would love to sell now and take off. Just can't bring myself to do it yet.....You know..all those reasons you give yourself. When I turn 62 in seven years that will be it.
So I say.
Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 15:42   #24

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Lightbulb Loner

That's what one of my good friends said! Then died one month before he retired.

I sold everything and decided to move to the Caribbean before I retired instead of the other way around

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 16:36   #25

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Thanks for the inspiration..... we're selling the business... and making plans to do the HaHa in October..
We, the wife and I sat back and started talking about what we wanted to do with our lives and owning another business is not in the plans..
So I thank all of you for the kick in the butt...
On the other hand... if anyone wants a canvas shop in the California delta, all we want out of it is the cost of the inventory..
Its located in a upper end marina midway between Sacramento and Stockton and easy to get to by boat or car.. do a search for "OxBow Marina"
and it is a liveaboard marina, and my 45 foot slip will be up for rent in October..

Nice to know someone can make a decision.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 16:11   #26

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Since WORK is a four letter word it should be avoided when ever possible.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 08:16   #27

Boat: Cape Dory 30K
I wonder what is more in demand, canvas work or welding.

I am a computer programmer currently but plan on picking up another skill or two that can help while cruising.
Tim_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 08:38   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
It think its wonderful what has happened. Grow your business as large as possible and then sell it for a really good price when you are ready to take off over the horizon. What a great way to add to the cruising kitty. Congratulations!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 08:40   #29

Boat: Farrier f27
To Tim H's question, I'd say quality canvas work is always in need just about everywhere.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 13:13   #30

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
This is so simple: Send US all the money you make for the next six months. Why in no time at all you'll have to sell the sewing machine and take to the water again.

)
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote