Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2015, 09:36   #1

CatLife Planning stages

Does anyone know of Cat owners who operate day/evening tours that fund the live aboard life in the BVI's or Bahama's.
I would like to book a ship cruise to areas where I can meet them and do a day sail or snorkel tour with them to get a feel for the business.
I've been a powerboat cruiser/owner for the past 8 years and want to get into sailing Cats with a goal of living aboard. I feel this strange and extremely strong passion for this lifestyle inside my heart that is unlike anything I have ever felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BARRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 09:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: CatLife Planning stages

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, BARRMAN.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 09:06   #3

Thanks GordMay. Are there any other popular locations I could get to by cruise ship where Cat owners offer day snorkel or sail cruises in the Caribbean?
I want to try it with someone who lives aboard by night and charters by day to support the cruising life.

Old 19-02-2015, 11:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Barrman and welcome to the forum.

The question of chartering to pay for a boat or to fund the lifestyle is pretty common but your idea is a bit different. It could work to at least supplement your live aboard life but there's a number of things you should consider.

- Day sails and harbor tours are very common in all tourist destinations I've been to. A lot of them are so called booze cruises where a boat, frequently a cat, takes a crowd (often a big crowd) out around the harbor with music, food or snacks, and of course booze. These are usually very popular and during peak tourist seasons are frequently packed.

More personal tours, snorkeling trips or sunset sails with couples or small groups are also common but less popular. These usually cost the customer a lot more than the booze cruise and in general not as regular, reliable business for the operator.

So the booze cruises can generate a good bit of business but you need the room to hold them and also have to deal with mobs of rowdy tourists barging around in your home.

- Anywhere you do this you will have red tape to deal with. Possibly a lot. If non-US territory you have to deal with work permits, just like a foreigner trying to work in the US. If there are locals doing the same business getting a permit to compete against them could be difficult. Try to do it under the radar you will almost certainly get busted by the locals complaining to their cousin who's the local constable.

If US territory if I recall correctly you have to have a boat that is USCG inspected if you carry more than 6 passengers. This entails complying with a whole lot of safety regulations. You will certainly need a USCG captains license.

Please note that the above comments are very general and just intended as a very rough guide to the issue. Local situations can be quite different.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 20:40   #5

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Check out my friends at zerotocruising.com they're doing pretty much what you're talking about.

amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:45   #6

Thanks for the info on zero to cruising. it's similar to what I want to do but i only want to do day charters. It's nice to know you can support that life style. I'm thinking on cashing out my retirement savings and taking the penalty to buy a 200k cat in the 45' range and start living instead of waiting for a retirement in 5 years that can never really happen with those savings anyway. YOLO !