Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2013, 16:38   #61
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Can I learn on a 40' boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotel L View Post
What I am saying is ease into expenses....experience bring knowledge that can help in decisions.
Well, yes. But then with some of us boat lust takes over from there.
Old 13-03-2013, 18:17   #62

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

If you take your time there is no reason this cant work for u. Buy something that floats, cheap, and move in. Meanwhile cultivate friends at the marina and crew during races and learn stuff while you fix up your boat. Start on your own boat with day sails then overnighters, first only when nice weather is expected. Let your experience grow slowly as you get your boat saltier and saltier. Sure it is better to start smaller but a midsize first boat can work if you do it right.

I suggest talking the seller into letting you sleep abooard a couple of nights before making a decision, and insisting on a survey before writing a check on a boat costing more than 4 or 5k. Spending a couple days on the boat earing, showering, cooking and washing dishes, using rhe head, reading at night, moving the boat to the pumpout station and back to the slip, checking oil and fuel, plugging your computer and tv into the electric system, etc will expose major problemsxwith living aboard the boat.
Old 13-03-2013, 18:20   #63

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Learn what? I've learned a lot more than just sailing aboard a boat! Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 18:59   #64
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I suggest talking the seller into letting you sleep abooard a couple of nights before"
Yargh! Must be hypnosis or mesmerism if you can talk a seller into becoming a B&B operator for a few days. Considering all the things a prospective buyer (or tire kicking camper) could do in 72 hours, including sinking the boat or setting it on fire....

I don't know, growley. I always thought there were charter companies to take care of that side of things. A couple of days to try it on for size...Gaze into my eyes, you are getting sleepy!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 21:52   #65

I had a buyer want to use the boat before he purchased. I agreed if he was willing to make 100% non refundable security deposit of the asking price.

Charter and boat clubs are a great way to get some experience on different boats to refine your search
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 05:41   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotel L View Post
Our taste in boat changed considerably from our first month of sailing (asa 101-104) and 14 months of Sailtime Tampa (Hunter 30). By the way a great program.

What I am saying is ease into expenses....experience bring knowledge that can help in decisions.

Good luck all.
Thank you for that information. I have seen the Sailtime advertised before. That is called fractional ownership if I am correct. I will look into that. It seems to be a good place to start.
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 07:25   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I suggest talking the seller into letting you sleep abooard a couple of nights before"
Yargh! Must be hypnosis or mesmerism if you can talk a seller into becoming a B&B operator for a few days. Considering all the things a prospective buyer (or tire kicking camper) could do in 72 hours, including sinking the boat or setting it on fire....

I don't know, growley. I always thought there were charter companies to take care of that side of things. A couple of days to try it on for size...Gaze into my eyes, you are getting sleepy!
My boats PO had no problem with that, though he insisted the boat was not sail ready. (It was, by the end of the next day)

My suggestion wont always go over well but a motivated seller shouldnt mind a buyer trying out the berths, head, stove, etc. If i were selling Mr Wiggles i Wouldnt expect a buyer to simply trust me when I say it is a comfortable and practical liveaboard. I would certainly let him take it out for a quick sail, with me aboard I would think. Why cultivate doubt and uncertainty in a buyer when you can instead let him see for himself that the boat is equipped for living aboard, a good sailer, ready in all respects for its intended use, and a good match for him?

Of course I would want to see the money, too. No free stay and no joy ride from someone who isnt ready to buy.
Old 14-03-2013, 15:28   #68

Boat: 45ft Ketch

1st 1/2 of Post 62 by Growley has been working for me through 1 year on board.

2nd half I just took my chances and lived & learned through the additions & changes I've been making to get it from day-sailer to liveaboard.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 05:12   #69

Boat: Island Packet 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Well, yes. But then with some of us boat lust takes over from there.
Boat lust will always be there....we just accept our current boat is reality for now!
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 05:47   #70

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
My boats PO had no problem with that, though he insisted the boat was not sail ready. (It was, by the end of the next day)

My suggestion wont always go over well but a motivated seller shouldnt mind a buyer trying out the berths, head, stove, etc. If i were selling Mr Wiggles i Wouldnt expect a buyer to simply trust me when I say it is a comfortable and practical liveaboard. I would certainly let him take it out for a quick sail, with me aboard I would think. Why cultivate doubt and uncertainty in a buyer when you can instead let him see for himself that the boat is equipped for living aboard, a good sailer, ready in all respects for its intended use, and a good match for him?

Of course I would want to see the money, too. No free stay and no joy ride from someone who isnt ready to buy.
Too many tire kickers to waste time with test sails. Inspect and lie in the berths all you want, but if you want to sail a boat I'm selling I would want a contract with deposit, and I'd go along to make sure any issues aren't "pilot error".
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 06:56   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Too many tire kickers to waste time with test sails. Inspect and lie in the berths all you want, but if you want to sail a boat I'm selling I would want a contract with deposit, and I'd go along to make sure any issues aren't "pilot error".
A reasonable and serious buyer should have no problem with that. I would want to see some money and I would want to go along and it would be understood that I would take over the instant I am uncomfortable with things, if a buyer wanted to take my boat out before writing a check. Of course it would also have to fit into my personal schedule.
Old 27-03-2013, 21:59   #72

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

Yes, absolutely you can ... The important thing to remember is that you need someone with experience to show you the ropes for a little while. When you are purchasing a boat, get a good survey. Take some basic sailing courses at your local yacht club. There are lots of people that are avid sailors that are willing to teach you what you need to know. Consider crewing on a rec league racing boat to start, but the key is, just get out there and sail. Safety has to be your number one priority but don't be afraid to go out there and live life, learn to sail! You won't regret it!
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote