Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2012, 09:34   #1

Boat: 1976 26' Clipper Marine Sloop
Buying Wisdom Needed

Hello to all,

My 3 year old son, wife and I have a plan to live-aboard a small sailboat and travel as far as our guts will tolerate. Our plan did involve more time to save for our sailboat but a layoff forced us to look for a boat now. We stumbled on to a 32' dreadnought ketch and I leaves me somewhat surprised that there is not a lot of material on this type of boat.
Can the wise people please school me on the pros and cons of this boat. My only gripe is that this boat appears to have no birthing aft.
Floodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 09:39   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Buying wisdom needed

Earlier thread on this boat.
Old 24-11-2012, 09:54   #3

Dreadnaughts are usually pretty sturdy, but probably one of the worst sailing designs out there. If it's wood, run. If it's glass make sure it has a decent size motor.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 11:04   #4

Thanks for the link

I was going to pull the motor and sail without out one, i don't want motor issues. So you think they sail badly can you specify why?
Old 24-11-2012, 11:16   #5

Go to weather very poorly, a function of full forward sections, hull shape, keel shape etc. Sailing a Dreadnaught without a motor will be pretty tedious at times, probably tacking through 120-150 degrees to weather!. Wood or glass? The glass ones I've seen are super sturdy. To each his own, just a matter of getting from point A to Point B however suits you!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 11:28   #6

The boat is glass and was made in the early 80s. Ill keep looking in to it thanks for the advice so far.
Old 24-11-2012, 13:08   #7

Boat: csy 37

have to agree with cheechako. i was once a dockmate of a guy who owned a dreadnought 32, although his was a cutter if i remember correctly. he told me it was pretty much a 'tub', didn't sail well to windward at all, and on other points of sail it needed a fair breeze to move along. on the other hand, he lived aboard himself and thought it was roomy enough for him. also thought it was heavily built and would probably bounce off rocks.

on that basis, i think i would be very reluctant to remove the engine. you'd feel a whole lot better when entering/leaving narrow inlets, and would probably save you a lot of insurance damage bills when getting into a slip or alongside a dock....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 15:02   #8

I may be wrong here but did these issues get solved when the famous designer tweaked the original sail plan and by extending the 30' to a 32'. I think they contend it to a ketch.
Old 24-11-2012, 15:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floodhound
I may be wrong here but did these issues get solved when the famous designer tweaked the original sail plan and by extending the 30' to a 32'. I think they contend it to a ketch.
Converted - spell checker inserted contend.
Old 24-11-2012, 22:45   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Flood,

The problem is the basic design of the boat. There is so much wrong with it from a performance standpoint it really isn't correctable with just a simple rig re-design. Not that it is a terrible boat for some purposes, but it's sailing performance wasn't a criteria in the design.

Basically the design is overweight, has a poor keel design, under canvased, too wide (particularly in the bow), has too soft a bilge turn... But for the size, there is a lot of room, and because they are heavily built can take real beatings.

Think of them like a detuned diesel farm truck. She may never go faster than 25, but she'll do that all day.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 15:17   #11

Stumble,

Nicely worded, sounds like this boat and I have the same style.

Does anyone know if these boats came from the factory with an aft birth?
Old 25-11-2012, 16:02   #12

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floodhound View Post
Stumble,

Nicely worded, sounds like this boat and I have the same style.

Does anyone know if these boats came from the factory with an aft birth?
Sounds like you are pretty committed to this boat. From what the others are saying I'd look for something else that is safe and will fit your needs as well. There are lots of boats out there and lots of cheap boats (relatively speaking). Why not broaden the search?

We are happy with what we have, but since buying it I've seen that we could of also looked at a lot more boats (type/manufacture/size) that would of also filled our needs in the same price range.

Unless you are a very accomplished sailor I can't imagine not having an alternative means of propulsion. If the is one high dollar fix that you don't want to fix or replace it is the engine.

Good luck on your search,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 17:37   #13

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

If you get the boat, keep the engine. It might save your boat some day and it will extend your range. Going to windward may work better if you motorsail to windward.

My Westsail 32 went to windward much better when I motorsailed.

Some boats are not so fast to windward. That's not a problem for people sailing downwind around the world. But most folks sail in areas where windward sailing is a significant part of their sailing experience.

If you get the boat, keep the engine.

If I ever get another Westsail 32, I will put a bigger diesel in to help me get through those windward moments.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 18:39   #14

Boat: csy 37

speaking of which, the endeavour 37 is a fine liveaboard boat for a couple and a child. sturdily built. i know a couple (a rather large couple) who live aboard one with their two large dogs.

perhaps 'sumner' can give you more info on these boats...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 20:18   #15

I am not dead set on this boat just happen to like the style a lot. I also like the full keel and beefiness it presents.

I am not an accomplished sailor at least in the traditional since. I do believe that a motor on a sailboat is a must for many armature sailors but for me its not what I want to use and soon will never need. Truthfully I think that a motor is far more unpredictable than sails and many people tend to lean on the motor more than they should. Sailing without a motor is sailing in my eyes.

So all in all I think I am going to take everyone's advice and keep looking. My attention is now on a Union Cutter. Any comments on this vessel? From what I am reading these make for decent liveaboards and cruisers.

Tags
buying