Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 07:13   #1

Boat: Hunter 45 CC
Buying Process - Making an Offer

I'm new to buying a large sailboat, not to sailing. I maybe making an offer soon on a Hunter 42 passage; and I hope to find insight to the purchase process. I will look at a few boats using the recommendations outlined by Don Cassy in his book "Sailboat Maintenance..."

I'm a bit troubled that I need to make an offer " subject to inspection" before I the feedback of a professional surveyor to help me determine the value of the boat. I have been watching the market, trying to learning the market. I my not have been focused, watching to many different models and types of boats, and some seller may have unrealistic values.

If I make an offer that to high based on the surveyor's report, do I just back out of the deal with my deposit? I'm assuming this is like buying a home, if you don't like the inspection, I walk with my deposit. It a bit unsettling.

Should I have my own broker? Any advice would be appreciated.
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:29   #2

Re: Buying Process - Making an Offer

The purpose of the surveyor is to help you find problems you might not have seen, not to help you assess the value.

Your offer is normally informed by the condition of the boat. If the survey doesn't significantly change that, shouldn't matter much.

Some people, of course, try to use the report to negotiate an even better price, but that comes at the risk of negating the deal. Makes sense if you find something that significantly changes your perception of the value of the boat, but is a bit cheesy if you go in with that as a plan.

As far as having a buyer broker to facilitate the sale or to manage the process, that's your call.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:13   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

It is not worth paying the surveyor unless you have secured the boat for some period, excluding others from outbidding you while you're making up your mind.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Al View Post
I'm assuming this is like buying a home, if you don't like the inspection, I walk with my deposit. It a bit unsettling.
In this regard, yes, it is very much like buying a house. If the survey reveals something that you were unaware of, which makes you think the original offer is too high, then you can either back out completely, or lower your offer. The seller, of course, then has the option to accept your lower offer, counteroffer, or back out of the deal entirely.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:39   #5

Boat: Hunter 45 CC

Thanks to all of you for the advice.
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, offer