Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2007, 12:03   #1

Buying my first sailboat.

I just wanted to get some feedback from those who might know. Anyway I've owned a powerboat for several years and used it frequently. Also I own a small (tiny) cartop daysailer that I've sailed in bays for years. Lately I've been thinking more and more about selling the powerboat and buying a sailboat...something I could do some weekend cruising on.

I live on Long Island in NY...and its kind of a toss up what kind of boat is best to own. With the cost of fuel powerboats are a pain. But with the frequent shallow depths and sand bars in many areas sailboats can be difficult as well. Basically I'm just thinking a sailboat would allow me to cruise to more places in the area like Montauk, Block Island and places in Connecticut or New Jersey. I also am starting to get tired of constantly boating in areas clogged up with tons of boats honestly. I figure with a sailboat I'd have more occasion and reason to either head out into the ocean on the south shore...or into Long Island sound on the north shore...away from other boats. I sort of got into boating to get away from people and here I am constantly anchored in a cove or fishing around 40 or 50 other boats.

I mean, I don't even own a huge powerboat...its a 22 footer with an outboard. But its pretty seaworthy and I've taken it all over the South shore and even offshore out to say 15 miles for fishing once or twice. But the cost of fuel to say, cruise out to Montauk and back from where its berthed on the South shore of Nassau County is pretty high.

Any ideas about what I might want to look for? I'm not a very experienced sailor by any means...other than sailing a simple lateen rigged car top carried centerboard boat. And obviously I'm already looking into getting some formal training in handling a sailboat.
dcarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 12:45   #2

dcarsten. A good post. What makes it good? Well you know where you are going to use your future boat and you know what you are using it for.
In your part of the world, tradionally folks liked to have shallow draft boats, for pretty much all the reasons you've mentioned, getting away from the crowds, being able to sail into shallow waters etc. I'd be looking at something with a a centre board, more specifically I'd be looking at sharpies, since that is what people use to sail in those areas.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 13:07   #3

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Great post, I agree - wrong side of the pond to offer much advice. Not sure if the Alubat range favoured by Jimmy Cornell are on sale over there but worth checking out as a centreboarder of reputation and re-sale value. A bilge keeler is the other option, but I never liked their performance on the wind . . . Anyway google alubat or ovni (these are aluminum boats) . .
Old 24-10-2007, 15:54   #4

Shallow draft is not too important for LIS.

The closer into to NYC the more traffic to expect especiallu cross Sound because the Sound is so narrow that it is a common trip.

It's also very crowded and you won't find many quiet anchorages, but there are some scenic spots between City and Glen Island. That is shallow.

Get 28 footer where you can comfortably overnight and keep her out east and there are some quiet spots, fewer boats and in the shoulder season you have the place to yourself (almost) and there are anchorages galore. You can also rent a mooring which is cheaper than a slip, but you need a dink. You'll like being on a mooring, from the sound of your post.

Do a flyover with google earth. Then have a drive out east and look at the land side. It's nice too.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote