Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2012, 20:37   #1

Buying, Fixing, and Equipping a Monohull

I am hoping to purchase as large of a monohull as I feel I can afford and sail the caribbean for as long as I can, but before I do this I am attempting to compile a comprehensive check list of sorts. I am calling on the brightest and best informed here on cruisersforum.com to help me in doing this.

I am looking for advice about what boat users would recommend, what equipment is most helpful, and what other things people recommend purchasing before embarking on a trip like this.(cloths, gadgets, etc.) Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Also, if anyone has any advice on traveling to the caribbean to fix up boats please contribute.
m_kcisoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 22:23   #2

Re: Buying, Fixing, and Equipping a Monohull

It comes down to
1. How many $ you have
2. how many people will live aboard.
3. Do you have any idea about sailing.
4. how experienced you are.

Going on your Question I would guess 1-3-4 is zero.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 22:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
It comes down to
1. How many $ you have
2. how many people will live aboard.
3. Do you have any idea about sailing.
4. how experienced you are.

Going on your Question I would guess 1-3-4 is zero.
I have a two year plan. Learning to sail. Saving money till then.
I just would like advice about good gear. I'll worry about the price of things when I have a good guess of what I'll need to buy. I am pretty familiar with the forum. I understand that is is full of the information I'm looking for. All I needed from you is advice on gear and any additional advice that may be HELPFUL.
Old 16-09-2012, 23:32   #4

This is all still beside the point of the post. Why don't you just respect the thread and give advice if you have it. Good job cruising for years! I'm 25, young, inexperienced, and looking to learn as much as possible along the way.
I've ordered a few technical books and have been enjoying some sailor non-fiction writers. What would ENLIGHTEN me would be say maybe your opinion on some products you prefer.(clothes, gadgets, etc.)
Old 16-09-2012, 23:42   #5

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch
Well. I prefer no clothing at all and my favorite gadgets are fishing rod and chessboard.
CrazyRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 23:57   #6

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_kcisoh View Post
This is all still beside the point of the post.
What would ENLIGHTEN me would be say maybe your opinion on some products you prefer.(cloths, gadgets, etc.)
It dosent do any good to start blowing off remarks about what you should be looking for.. and being new to the idea of cruising, I doubt if you would understand what I was talking about..
Like I said, pick up a couple books on cruising, and forget the tech part of it.. Buy something from Lin Pardey, or Liza Copeland and have some injoyable reeding..
Then you can come back and ask, "what type of boat should I buy?"

Not trying to be rude here, but you're putting ther cart befor the horse..
what good is it going to do you if I tell you I prefer the 802 over the 710 because i can program the 802 as I'm a Ham.
start from the basics and let it grow slowly.. You'll injoy it more that way..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 00:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
Well. I prefer no clothing at all and my favorite gadgets are fishing rod and chessboard.
Speeking of which, i bought a couple of those Cuban YoYos and throu out a neon broke-back on the way up the channel yesterday.. Hooked a 8lb
largemouth.... bar-B-Qd him in foil with a lemon sliuce and a few feggies..
wife broiled a few slices of french bread and with a couple brews, I thought I was in heven....
Old 17-09-2012, 00:03   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

For the OP:

I get it that you are young and inexperienced, that you can read, and that you want to know about everything nautical.

Your question(s) have been advanced countless times here on CF, and have been patiently answered by the folks you are now asking to do it yet again. I humbly suggest that you spend a lot of time reading from the archives of the forum which will answer most of your rather vague queries.

When you have done that, you may have generated some more specific questions which will have a much better chance of respectful responses from the many knowledgeable CF contributors.

Meanwhile, please lay off the name calling. That does not generally bring out the best in us.

Jim
Old 17-09-2012, 00:28   #9

just looking to start a check list and a starter conversation on "things to have" in a single thread. Agreed, I started far too vague and I understand how it came across a bit inane. I'm off to the archives.
Old 17-09-2012, 01:26   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Just a quiet reminder that correct spelling is greatly appreciated here on Cruisers Forum.

Not to mention proper use of capitals and other English conventions.

Oh, and any more name calling and I'll get my black pen out.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 02:19   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

A good book to read that will tell you most everything about cruising is Beth Leonards "A Voyagers Handbook". If she doesn't discuss it you probably don't need to know it.

A question like What kind of boat is best for cruising? will get you more answers than there are contributors on this forum (some will answer at least twice).

But if you work your way through the treads here, you will learn a lot. Maybe you will not get answers to your questions - but you will become enlightened enough to formulate your questions more precisely.

Good luck

and by the way - welcome

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 04:13   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_kcisoh View Post
just looking to start a check list and a starter conversation on "things to have" in a single thread. Agreed, I started far too vague and I understand how it came across a bit inane. I'm off to the archives.

You need to go to a big store and buy a book instead of expecting everyone here to write a new book for you. I was in the same position 5 years ago with nothing but questions and no experience. It just isn't possibe to ask a real question without some experience.

And now that I have experience I don't agree with some of the book or the same old intenet advise as lots of times it isn't the right answer for me.

But the most helpful peice of equipment is an autopilot IMO. (see I answered the question)

Then again you probably have shot yourself in the foot for asking for help now with your push back because responders didn't meet your wants.
Old 17-09-2012, 07:21   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have had to moderate this thread as the result of vulgar name calling, aggression, and vulgar responses. People, if you cannot conduct this discussion in compliance with the CF "be nice rule", strikes will start to be issued. Please be civil and respectful to each other.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 07:40   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

To me...half the fun of this lifestyle has been reading, walking docks and talking face to face with experienced people over the last 35 years. I've concluded I don't know anything, I'll never have enough money, weather I don't understand scares me and I will never have the "right equipment on my boat...I'm going anyways...
P.S...I missed the vulgar name calling?...Damn!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 08:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
To me...half the fun of this lifestyle has been reading, walking docks and talking face to face with experienced people over the last 35 years. I've concluded I don't know anything, I'll never have enough money, weather I don't understand scares me and I will never have the "right equipment on my boat...I'm going anyways...
P.S...I missed the vulgar name calling?...Damn!
You didnt miss anything Martin, The vulgar language wasnt anything more than what a couple people having a couple beers would say in normal conversation..
Would like to see the same excitement and censorship performed on some of the moral issues posted on this forum..
Oh-Oh, I think I just threw the poop into the wind machine...

Tags
buying, monohull