Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2012, 05:37   #46
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37
Re: Buying, Fixing, and Equipping a Monohull

Forgive me if I appear to be presumptuous. Being relatively new to this forum here are a few observations. Compared to the science, political and academic sites I frequent (I was a teacher for 22 years) two things stand out …. let’s say as “glaring neglect”, spelling and syntax. In the above mentioned sites this “glaring neglect” would result in a thorough thrashing. I know, I’ve been there. However, this is made up ten fold by the experience most of you bring to this forum even though some of you can’t string two sentences together. That said one must take into account that this is an international forum and some are not communicating in their native tongue. But Christ, there is no excuse being lazy. Use the spell checker! It will help get past the language barrier.

In reference to the OP’s question, newbie’s have to expect a beating from a group of old salts when they ask as vague a question as Nebraska’s. His initial response to SimonV’s reply was to call him a prick, which I thought Simon handled quite well. Unfortunately the thread went downhill from there. Actually because of its vagueness it had nowhere to go.

The moderators are here to keep the peace and thread continuity. Although I find some rather thin skinned they are doing their job. What posters need to remember is that you are dealing with a lot of experienced sailors who will not suffer fools. The best advice our OP received was to READ A BOOK. He hasn’t gotten past that point.

RT
PS By fools I mean the ignorant. In an endearing way….
PPS What does the N on the Nebraska helmet stand for?.........Knowledge.
I couldn’t resist.
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 06:58   #47

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

The OP is not looking for people as us that have been bluewater.. he's looking to bond with another armchair sailor to share those WM fliers showing the new inproved, hand held wind speed, whatcha-call-it..
And give him a year and he'll own a Shannon and have been around the world 5 times, with 2 of those times against the trades. .

Who was that guy a year or so ago from Southern Cal that had the little boat that started the thread "clawing off a lee shore" in a storm.. and anybody with a boat over 20 feet didnt know how to sail.. need to put the two together for a while..

need to write a new song... not into gadgets, but I am into Hunters
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 07:27   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as for repairs and refits of older boats---mine is coming along just fine and dandy--many repairs and refits and now no more deck or coach house leaks until topside of coach house---the grabrails still leak--but i have a new compression post under mizzen, fixed leaks in diesel, nav lights on boards and installed properly....gonna have pinrails and belaying pins..yay... and some serious stuff as done. all this for 200-300 dollars per month here. oh yeah--and my taff rail is gonna be repaired so i can do it again, and fiddles on my cabinet shelves--lol i am getting there slowly-----ye just gotta find the right boat bum.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 07:48   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Just a quiet reminder that correct spelling is greatly appreciated here on Cruisers Forum.

Not to mention proper use of capitals and other English conventions.

Oh, and any more name calling and I'll get my black pen out.
Is there a spell check on this site?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 07:56   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
Just a quiet reminder that correct spelling is greatly appreciated here on Cruisers Forum.

Not to mention proper use of capitals and other English conventions.

Oh, and any more name calling and I'll get my black pen out.
Is there a spell check on this site?

ok...so i again have to speak of my rapidly failing paws and inability to type properly and my lack of ability , so it seems, to use voice recognition, as my voice isnt recognized by those machines for some reason???(mighta been the surgical destruction of my vocal chords in 1971?...ye think???)
Old 18-09-2012, 08:05   #51

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
And give him a year and he'll own a Shannon and have been around the world 5 times, with 2 of those times against the trades. .
Hey!!! I use to sail 10 miles to school, in 10 feet of snow, 10 degrees below zero! And that was in big winds!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 08:28   #52

do threads 404 here?
m_kcisoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 09:05   #53

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Nope. They may die down, but just when you think everyone has forgotten, say a couple years from now"............it will pop up out of your past like a nightmare

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 10:24   #54

Well it has been fun and a lot rougher than my first few days sailing. Let's end on a joke how about.
Philosophy Major walks up to a Criminal Justice Major (Business major works too) and says,
"Hey Criminal Justice Major Friend, I recently heard you were studying astronomy."
Criminal Justice Major replies,
"No, silly Philosophy Major, I am studying criminal justice."
The Philosophy Major replies,
"Funny, I guess I had just heard your were taking up space."
m_kcisoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 12:05   #55
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_kcisoh View Post
Anyways, to further clarify what I am looking for are simplified (as possible) answers to what people find important personally.
Why? are you intending to move aboard with them? . the fact I have 3 buckets onboard doesn't mean you need to have 3 as well. for you the right answer might be 4. or none. or 2. or 3. or 1. But once you understand why the bucket(s) are onboard you get to decide for yourself how important (or not) each is. and how fundamentally unimportant the question is . But also how useful the right bucket can sometimes be .

BTW there is a thread simply on buckets floating around somewhere (as on most topics).

You are getting good answers - just not in the form you want (free works like that ). ........folks generally don't mind rehashing stuff, you just have to give them something more to work with than:-

"Please tell me how to live in Nebraska. in simple terms".
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 12:27   #56
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Hope it is a country western song! Then if you add in your pickup truck broke down, your best dog died, your wife is leaving you for your best friend, and that your girl friend has gone gay you will have an international hit!
Old 18-09-2012, 13:44   #57

doj--i have 6 buckets on board--and i use all 6......
Old 18-09-2012, 14:11   #58

Quote:
The OP is not looking for people as us that have been bluewater.. he's looking to bond with another armchair sailor to share those WM fliers showing the new inproved, hand held wind speed, whatcha-call-it..

Who was that guy a year or so ago from Southern Cal that had the little boat that started the thread "clawing off a lee shore" in a storm.. and anybody with a boat over 20 feet didnt know how to sail.. need to put the two together for a while..

Are you saying that we should have just given him this WM link The West Advisor: Suggested Cruising Gear so that he could have had a list. Oh dam he may rewrite it and post it in responce to every equiping thread. LOL.

Advice to OP you have to sail with the wind that you are given, not necessary the wind that you want. Its the same on CF.
Old 18-09-2012, 14:14   #59

omg--like, giving a wm linky may not be a good thing for anyone wanting to refit a monohull---he needs a good boat bum..... and some dough ....... and a good disPosition.... and a lot of BEER
Old 18-09-2012, 14:56   #60
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
doj--i have 6 buckets on board--and i use all 6......
A woman with 6 buckets? - where have you been all my life?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, monohull