Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 08:46   #17

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad
Re: Buying, Fixing, and Equipping a Monohull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Did I miss something?
Yeah, you all should have been here last night.

It started to get a little heated! I had the popcorn out and was just waiting for the mod squad to come by!

Old 17-09-2012, 09:02   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_kcisoh View Post
I am hoping to purchase as large of a monohull as I feel I can afford and sail the caribbean for as long as I can

Can buy and can afford are 2 differents things - with boats as in life.

There will be a trade off between boat size (and mod cons) and duration of voyaging (whether that is able to or want to - rice and beans do get a little old after a while!).

, but before I do this I am attempting to compile a comprehensive check list of sorts.

You get to write your own (because you will be using it) and to do that you need to understand why stuff is on your list. and why stuff is not.

I am calling on the brightest and best informed here on cruisersforum.com to help me in doing this.

I love the smell (and feel) of warm smoke in the morning .

I am looking for advice about what boat users would recommend, what equipment is most helpful, and what other things people recommend purchasing before embarking on a trip like this.(cloths, gadgets, etc.) Any advice is greatly appreciated!

For Gizmos and Gadgets (and other essentials!), have a look at the Cruising Equipment link in my signature (the distilled wisdom of CF) - which also has the links to the actual threads.

Also, if anyone has any advice on traveling to the caribbean to fix up boats please contribute.

Away from home is always harder to do work - no local knowledge, no local resources (transport / mates / tools / storage / easy access to skilled workers etc etc), not to say that those not obtainable but harder work than at "home" - even without any language (and cultural?) barriers......the price is usually time (as well as money). I won't say don't - but starting from next to zero of knowledge it is another hurdle to cross).
Unfortunately I missed the fun . I think CF should offer alerts for threads which go "live" .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 09:25   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
You didnt miss anything Martin, The vulgar language wasnt anything more than what a couple people having a couple beers would say in normal conversation..
Would like to see the same excitement and censorship performed on some of the moral issues posted on this forum..
Oh-Oh, I think I just threw the poop into the wind machine...

Yup...I guess in a sense this forum is moving away from sailors drinking a few beers to Yachties sipping Chardonnay in Waterford crystal.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 09:51   #20

Thanks David Old Jersey for at least a reasonable response to a newbie question. Boy what a bunch of wet towels ya'll are... I love the "we're real picky about spelling..." BS...... maybe YOU are...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 10:16   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
. I love the "we're real picky about spelling..." BS...... maybe YOU are...
...I know...what's up with that?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 10:47   #22

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
I am hoping to purchase as large of a monohull as I feel I can afford and sail the caribbean for as long as I can, but before I do this I am attempting to compile a comprehensive check list of sorts. I am calling on the brightest and best informed here on cruisersforum.com to help me in doing this.

I am looking for advice about what boat users would recommend, what equipment is most helpful, and what other things people recommend purchasing before embarking on a trip like this.(cloths, gadgets, etc.) Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Also, if anyone has any advice on traveling to the caribbean to fix up boats please contribute.
Heyo,

This is my first post here and looks like I missed a lot of the fun on this thread.

My wife and I are also looking to become a cruiser in the next few year. Here is what I have done and am doing.

We will be taking an into to sailing class followed by ASA 101 and some others in the near future.

Found a good free essay/book on the Kindle "25 things every sailor needs" by Lance Gettler. I plan on stocking my pack accordingly with what is suggested once I start going out on the water.

I have also been reading this forum for quite a bit of time now. A lot of good information.
Old 17-09-2012, 10:55   #23

Thank you all for the advice. I will hopefully have the "list" I am attempting to compile after a bit more research. When I do, I'll post it and you can all rip on me for my ignorance. .

Hope to see more of the former out sailing someday soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yup...I guess in a sense this forum is moving away from sailors drinking a few beers to Yachties sipping Chardonnay in Waterford crystal.
m_kcisoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 11:31   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Thank you all for the advice. I will hopefully have the "list" I am attempting to compile after a bit more research. When I do, I'll post it and you can all rip on me for my ignorance. .
Some people make a splash, some a thud - but IMO either better than SFA . The Mods may disagree .
Old 17-09-2012, 12:33   #25

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Some people make a splash, some a thud - but IMO either better than SFA . The Mods may disagree .
That's what I like about CF, I always learn something fun! I know this is off topic but DOJ started it..

I had to google SFA because I'd never heard the expression before. Very interesting. Sweet Fanny Adams or in its more vulgar form Sweet F**k all.

It has something to do with Fanny, being killed by a clerk back in the day in Jolly Ol' England. Ok...sorry for the interruption...ADD can be a nuisance. I wish I could figure out how to post smilies with this iPad. Drats
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 12:34   #26

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Good equipment most people don't mention, but get the boat first, are a couple of oars that you can use when the Rudder breaks or the motor fails.

I've used them here in central Texas and in the Caribbean.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 12:59   #27

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
That's what I like about CF, I always learn something fun! I know this is off topic but DOJ started it..

I had to google SFA because I'd never heard the expression before. Very interesting. Sweet Fanny Adams or in its more vulgar form Sweet F**k all.

It has something to do with Fanny, being killed by a clerk back in the day in Jolly Ol' England. Ok...sorry for the interruption...ADD can be a nuisance. I wish I could figure out how to post smilies with this iPad. Drats
In case anyone else enjoys completely useless trivia here's the link to the term SFA. Fanny Adams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 14:02   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

Hope to see more of the former out sailing someday soon!
Don't post it with the thought of getting ripped! I can guarantee that no matter what is on the list you will get ripped! Wouldn't matter what the items are as on the internet we have the uni-boaters all the way to the comfort crowd.

Go down to a marina and talk to some boaters in person. I find people on boats overall are friendlier than boaters on the internet!!!!!

Most boaters are kind of proud of their boat and are willing to tell you why.
Old 17-09-2012, 14:38   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
In case anyone else enjoys completely useless trivia here's the link to the term SFA. Fanny Adams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I must confess I thought the vulgar meaning came first and that Sweet Fanny Adams was simply a polite version, rather than having originated from a gruesome murder. And also a sailor connection as the origin of the slang.

As you said, learn something new..........
Old 17-09-2012, 14:59   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
what a freaking gruesome story and slang origin

Tags
buying, monohull