Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 21:10   #1

Boat: Morris Justine 36'
Buying Before the Cruise

If one buys a boat several years before intending to use it for a cruise, how can you minimize the costs involved in upkeep? Would you put it in charter where people would not treat it with the same TLC as you might? Would you leave it up on the hard where things would just dry out and get old and it would take a while to get everything running before the family vacation? Does anyone have experience doing this type of thing? We would like to cruise for 1-2 years, but not until 2018 or so. I would like to own the "big boat" (think Alden 44, Cambria 44 or similar) for a few years before going, but during those years it might get limited use by me during vacations as it would be kept an airplane ride away from my home.
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 21:26   #2

Boat: prairie32 cutter
Re: Buying before the cruise

Hi FD,
No matter how (good) a boat you buy it will still need fitting out for a cruise. Best to get her 1-2 yrs be for you are ready to leave so you will have time to get her up to snuff and learn to sail her.
From experience,TG SV Ulicia
TOPGALLANT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:48   #3

Boat: Morris Justine 36'
Re: Buying Before the Cruise

During those years that I get her up to snuff and learn to sail her, would it be unwise to put her in a charter program, or is that just asking for trouble? Would my boat get trashed or could I offset the financial hemorrhage associated with boat ownership?
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 16:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
No need to buy...

FecklessDolphin

If I'm understanding you correctly you are concerned about the cost of a cruising yacht and would like to put it into charter to reduce those costs. If this is the case I'd suggest that considerable research is desirable. The Moorings is a major operator in this area and their website is one place to start.

There has been much discussion on the internet and this Forum on the wisdom of owning a charter yacht. It is a major financial decision and I'd strongly urge you to fully investigate it before committing.

My opinion is that possibly the cheapest way to start cruising is to buy a blue water rated sound 5-6 year old yacht coming out of charter with a reputable company.

It may be possible to fly down with a suitcase, pick up the boat and to start cruising from there.

As you say that you have 7 years to go so I'd suggest doing a few charters, upgrading your cruising skills and seeing how things work out.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, cruise