Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2014, 14:43   #1

Buying a yacht in Dominican Republic - process required to exit after purchase

Hello,

To members with experience or familiar with buying a yacht based in the Dominican Republic. I’d like to understand the process of exiting the DR after the purchase of a yacht located in DR has been finalised. The yacht in question is USCG registered and would re-registered outside of the USA (to BVI) and the name changed. My queries include:

- What are the steps involved in preparing to exit DR given the yacht has changed ownership and name i.e. what do I need to do?

- What are the documentation requirements for DR immigration (others)?

- Are there any additional requirements that aren’t obvious?

- Is there an extended waiting period for additional processing by DR immigration (others)?

- Are there any good websites out there with the forms required and guidance?

- Can anyone recommend a third party that provides the above service?

Many thanks.
NZ1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 15:34   #2

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Buying a yacht in Dominican Republic - process required to exit after purchase

We purchased a yacht in the DR that was registered there. It was a lot of work to get it de-registered and the previous owner had to pay them $4000 to do it. Then they wanted to hit us up for $1100 to leave but we negotiated it down to $110. Since your vessel is not registered there it should be easier. If you speak Spanish you could attempt it yourself, otherwise consider a service out of Miami such as http://www.registeryourboat.com. You will need to have all your BVI documents officially translated into Spanish and on and on. When all that is done and the official moneys are paid just understand that it's a country that operates on tips to get anything done in a timely basis but these money's can be negotiated. If the current owner would agree to sail with you to Puerto Rico and transfer ownership there it would be more straight forward but otherwise if it's the boat you want jump in but don't plan on anything happening super fast in DR.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 05:21   #3

Re: Buying a yacht in Dominican Republic - process required to exit after purchase

Cheers, thanks for the helpful info.
NZ1737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Dominica, Dominican Republic, purchase, yacht