Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2013, 18:47   #1

Buying a Used Sailboat in Singapore

Hi All,
I'm new here on the site and trying to get info on buying a used sailboat in Singapore. I've found one I want but the first owner cancelled the French Certificate of Registration that came with the new vessel. He never reregistered the boat and neither did the 2nd (present) owner. Questions:
1. Does a boat legally need to have a Cert of Reg if operating in Singapore or SE Asian waters?
2. There's no AIS on the boat, do I need a Cert of Reg to get one?
3. Is there any advantage to registering it in Singapore?
4. If I do, do I need to pay the 7% GST?
5. Is it compulsory to license it for Singapore waters and do I need a Cert of Reg to license it?
6. If I register it in Langkawi as advised to do, can it stay in Singapore without having to leave and return with a foreign stamp like in Thailand?
7. Can anyone recommend a good vendor for the AIS and I also want to install A/C.
Any other advice or thoughts are very much appreciated.
Cheers
Rick
Luck660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 00:13   #2

I would recommend avoiding Singapore for any kind of paperwork. Just across the bridge is Malaysia where they seriously do not care what yachts do so long as you pay the few dollar light fee. I bought in Malaysia. Registered in the USA. Hauled out in Singapore.

Registration anywhere might be tough without proper registration papers. Gaps in the paperwork are a problem. I had to guarantee title with the US because the previous owner could not produce a valid transfer of registration.

Malaysia didn't care about the transfer in any way. Checked in under one owner and out under another. No fee. No questions. Your results may vary.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, sailboat, Singapore