Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 04:10   #1

Boat: Gulfstar CSY 50
Buying a Non EU VAT Paid Yacht by a EU Citizen - Advice Please...

Hi All,

I'm looking at some ex charter (VAT NOT PAID) cats in Croatia, Greece and Turkey.

I'm well aware of the pitfalls of buying ex-charter so this is purely a question of finance.

Looking at Lagoon 380's around the £100k-£120k mark. I would be interested to know what costs I would incur to get this registered as a UK flagged vessel with TAX PAID status. Has anyone here got first hand experiance of this and can let me know the pitfalls and anything I should look out for?

I know I'm due to pay tax at the first EU port of entry and that VAT rates vary depending on where this is. I'm keen to understand how they calculate the tax and what this could be. Would it be circa the 20% or is it a reduced rate? Is it based on the full price, purchase price, average price, or price on the invoice? What other costs could be involved? I just want to ensure I'm not getting fleeced by the Broker. Is there any way to reduce the amount of VAT to be paid (other than buy a smaller, cheaper yacht).

Thanks in advance...
frazerhalliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Buying a Non EU VAT Paid Yacht by a EU Citizen - Advice Please...

I presume you have looked at pre-owned Moorings yachts at Tuimarinebrokerage? I recently made some inquiries regarding a yacht located in Greece, and regarding the VAT I received this reply:

"As you are in the EU and not exporting from the EU, you will need to pay the 23% tax to Greece...
...When you purchase a yacht from us, we will take the VAT and pass you a VAT receipt. This will probably be required in Finland, but proves that the VAT has already been paid."

Not sure about the VAT with regards to Turkey and Croatia, why don't you ask them?

-Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, yacht