Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31   #1

buying a new boat

Hello,
I am trying to purchase a used boat in the 40-45ft range. My intentions are to live on this boat for a few years and then sail it to other desired locations.

My problem is that I live in Tennessee (on the TN river) and do not have the luxury of a large used boat selection in my area. I have to travel around and/or look online for boats.

Are there dedicated boat brokers that I can contact that will search for the boats that are worth looking at?
If so please list a few that may be useful.

I would also like to know anyone's successful boat buying process that may be similar to my situation. Thanks.
jpmccros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:14   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: buying a new boat

My suggestion...look for a Hunter 39 or 41...under 10 years old, preferably under 5 years old. They are still being made, are rugged and can be solo sailed with predictable performance. Here in TX, you can examine all the Hunter line (new and used) near Houston. There must be some other locations closer to you. You really need to go and sail/test a few models/makes before settling on your "dream boat". Be patient and take your time! Good luck! (I have no financial interest whatsoever in Hunter sailboats.) Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15   #3

Boat: Celestial 48
Do like anyone else and spend time on yachtworld.com . Likely what a broker would do anyway. Use advanced search. Figure out what it is what you are looking for in a boat.

Take a trip to a boating center, say Miami, and contact a few brokers. Need to see some boats in person to get better idea of what you want. Don't fall in love too soon.

Good luck.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29   #4

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
What area are you looking to be in? If you find a broker in that area you want to sail you may be able to avoid transportation costs. Unless you are looking to have it transported to the Tennessee River, then I imagine transport anywhere from the Chessy to the gulf would be about the same by truck. I will PM you a guy in the mid Chessy if you are interested.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:37   #5

Thanks to both of you,
I should probably be more precise on my current research. I have looked around yachtworld.com for over a year. My basic dreamboat set up is a boat 38-45ft (the typical space rule applies "smallest boat that you can adequately live with"). I have a strong desire for a center cockpit mainly for the comfort of the aft stateroom and the efficient galley layout. Boats of interest are the endeavour CC's 38-42ft (yes I'm aware of the water and fuel tank corrosion issues), gulf star cc (don't remember the size off my head), a Bristol, and basically any type of center cockpit design with walkthrough access to statesroom.

The problem is that this is pretty much the only website I look at. I am interested in finding a broker that will do more research and find that hidden deal. Has anyone had experience with finding a single broker that searches all the websites?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40   #6

Gelfing,
Yes I intend on Fri ding the boat with the right price (around 60k) and then transporting it to my location. That means the chessy and gulf areas are both potential buying areas. That's great for boat select, but rough for a person with a full time job that forgets that in order to get a boat you have to actually search for one.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "that hidden deal". Are you looking for a super cheap boat or some brand/model that no one else has ever heard of?

Don't see why you need someone to search every website in existence. All it takes is one boat and you might find that in the first place you look.......... or not.

Maybe give some idea of your budget? That does make a difference.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:44   #8

The "hidden deal" refers to basically a center cockpit design that is around 60k. I want the boat to be solid, and I don't mind adding electronics and doing wood finishes. I just don't want a 60k boat that needs lamination work, etc. I know a survey will be needed after everything is said and done.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:45   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, your post with the price came just as I was posting.

I think you have a realistic price range, as long as you understand it is unlikely that you would be getting a like new, ready to sail the world, 45' boat at that price.

A few have been mentioned but you might also want to add a Morgan OutIsland 41. Very, very roomy boat and lots of them were made so good chance to find a deal.

Not the best upwind sailing boat but fast enough off the wind and reasonable well built.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:09   #10

Thanks skipmac,
I'm 50/50 on the Morgan 41's. I love the room and layout plans, I was just worried about the weight / sailing abilities. Then again it sounds like I'm going to do 10% sailing and 90% living in one spot. This boat is secretly on my list. I was down in the keys area and there were so many of them and a lot of good deals.

I plan on bringing the boat back so I can learn her troubles and fix her the way I want her.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I learned to sail on an OI36 which is just a 5' shorter version of the 41. I put a lot of miles on the boat like I said, except for close hauled the boat sailed well. I don't know of many boats that have as much room as an OI for the length.

Before I bought my Pearson I spoke with an old friend that's a surveyor and who has been in the business for at least 35 years. He recommended Morgans as far as quality of construction and fewer structural problems in general over most of the common production boats in the same age and price range.

If you ever plan on taking the boat to the Bahamas the shallow draft is another plus. But if you want to get there in a reasonable time and going against the normal trade winds be prepared to motor or motor-sail.