Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 05:02   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Buying a boat in Europe, but where and when?

If boats in Greece are generically cheaper than elsewhere, then why is this so?

Cheers,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Cheers,
barnakiel
Obviously because of the last 8-9years of economic crisis in Greece.
The last two years changes in the tax system of private boats over 5 meters in length forced many owners to sell.
Also,new taxation is expected for both private and charter boats depending upon the length of a boat and the time spent in Greek waters.
So, even if the taxes are not too high for European standard they are not affordable for the Greeks who are forced to sell and thus lower the price of the boats.
takis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:05   #18

Quote:
Guessing the cheap ones are charter boats, after 8-10years of service.

I don't think a 400EUR/year on a 70kEUR, 12m boat is a valid sole reason to sell, but I agree, tax hikes, uncertain future must have forced many to downscale.
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 07:49   #19

Not wishing to Hijack the thread I am also in the market for a 35-45 Footer, I found the in country links useful like the France and Holland ones, if anyone has any others please post.

Thanks Dave
inet-projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:07   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a boat in Europe, but where and when?

Quote:

Cheers,
barnakiel
I think the main reason is Northerners selling up and getting out due to the refugee and political situation.. and they don't fancy sailing West..
Now the summer holiday floating cottages represent potential risks so up for sale they go..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I've been checking the US market for a while, but so far it's usually more costly (or evens out) to buy in the US and arranging a delivery and importing the boat.
Especially for the kind of boats the OP is looking for - I'm more or less looking at the same (older monohulls, around 36' - 38' ft.). Can be worth it for the higher price range, tho, and I enjoy keeping an eye on what's out there

The Dutch boat market is slowly getting back on its feet again and prices are slowly going up a little. But with less and less people wanting to own a boat, I doubt this little trend will continue.

As to 'too low': I'd check everything thoroughly no matter what There are plenty of people that really, really want to sell their boat, as it is still a buyers market and it can take for ever. So prices can be low. But yes, there are some 'bad apples' in the mix for sure - there always are

On the bright side: we also have a few very good surveyors, one did his own circumnavigation as well. So if interested in buying here, OP, and you've found a boat, feel free to contact me for his details. He'd also be happy to help you select the right boat for your needs - which might be cheaper then flying out and driving around yourself just to look & select.

I'm curious about prices in the US versus EU as well. I just received the list price for a Beneteau Oceanis 41. A US dealer had the list price as 207k USD versus 157k USD for a German dealer. Obviously it's harder to compare apples to apples in the used market but looking at yachtworld prices I think there is a similar discount for used EU boats. Does anyone have current experience with used prices in Europe versus US?

Thanks
surf_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 05:35   #22

We searched for boats in Europe, we made 2 videos about the process. Video 1 was the search and video 2 the process in Turkey when we purchased. Hope they help

The search

Buying process Turkey
chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 14:35   #23

Keep in mind that with the British pound being very low (although it has been on the rise over the last couple of weeks), the UK may have some good deals. A bit far if your destination is the Med, but you can shortcut through the French canals is the boat's draft is shallow.

Good luck.
Old 25-01-2019, 14:49   #24

Boat: 29 ft

In Germany, e-bay small advertisements is a strong marketplace.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 01:03   #25

Hi, I found a boat in Italy. Owner ill. Amazing price. I am Canadian. Want to keep it in Europe possibly sail to carribean. Electrical systems different.Is there a converter? Shore power plug etc? Also Register in Malta? If i do can it stay or needs to leave every 3 months? Thank You, Stephen.
mrmagoo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 15:20   #26

We just bought our boat in Croatia, no hidden costs, use the right broker and surveyor and you can’t go too wrong. Greece I have been told, maintenance can be an issue. Be aware in Italy some brokers add their fees to the sale price, to be paid by the buyer.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 21:05   #27

Look up some boatyards and call them and ask if there are any boats for sale.
Many boatyards have boats for sale that only have for sale signs on them and are advertised locally or in the owners home country. Also look up local (country) boat brokers, not just the major boat brokers.

The reason boats can be cheap in Greece is because Greece and Turkey are the two major cruising areas. Many retirees buy a used boat, do a complete refit then cruise these two areas and after many years sell it. There are good deals out there.

Surf Sail,

When looking at boats I focused on the west coast, east coast and the EU and found by far the best deals in the EU for price, value and quality. Only issue was exchange rate but it works out because you are getting so much more boat.
mat jam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Europe, rope