Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2012, 16:43   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Buying a Beneteau & sailing in BVI

Some of the information you have been given about licensing and registration is not quite accurate. I am a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Surveyor and deal in this all the time.

Whether licensed or registered it is a Federal matter and has nothing to do with the provincial Goverment. Your province of residence is simply indicated in the first two characters of the license number i.e. ON for Ontario. This is an aid to SAR and police only.

If you are going to travel the Caribbean or further you will want to register your boat not license it. Most Caribbean countries will not recognise a license. Bahamas is an exception as they are used to dealing with US licensed boats.

You will have to pay tax on the boat as soon as it it is Canadian waters and not untill then. If you buy a boat that was built in France you will also have to pay 9.6% duty but again not until you bring it into Canadian Waters. There is no duty payable on boats built in NAFTA countries.

If you buy a boat of less than 15 metres LOA you can do the tonnage measurement required for registration yourself (Search Tabular Method on Transport Canada website) If you buy a multi-hull or a vessel of more than 15 metres LOA, you will have to hire me .

I have an article on my website Licensed or Registered, it may help.
Old 24-11-2012, 02:31   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I've bought 2 used ex-charter boats in the BVI (using Sunsail directly and BVI Yacht Sales) plus another non-charter boat, also in the BVI and through the auspices of BVI Yacht Sales. My current boat is currently on the hard at Nanny Cay and awaiting my return.

I can recommend BVI Yacht Sales as an excellent and trustworthy broker.

There are a lot of boats on offer there and it is worth spending time going over the boats - with a checklist and camera and taking notes, because after a bit the boats all tend to run together. I think my first time I actually visited 30 boats (in August in the BVI, which is saying something about either my dedication or stupidity) before choosing a Jeanneau 43DS.

Particularly with the ex-charter boats you will usually get a crop of several identical models and you (and the broker) should try to get the best-of-breed.
Old 24-11-2012, 02:44   #18

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin
I've bought 2 used ex-charter boats in the BVI (using Sunsail directly and BVI Yacht Sales) plus another non-charter boat, also in the BVI and through the auspices of BVI Yacht Sales. My current boat is currently on the hard at Nanny Cay and awaiting my return.

I can recommend BVI Yacht Sales as an excellent and trustworthy broker.

There are a lot of boats on offer there and it is worth spending time going over the boats - with a checklist and camera and taking notes, because after a bit the boats all tend to run together. I think my first time I actually visited 30 boats (in August in the BVI, which is saying something about either my dedication or stupidity) before choosing a Jeanneau 43DS.

Particularly with the ex-charter boats you will usually get a crop of several identical models and you (and the broker) should try to get the best-of-breed.
Good advise. We bought when the market was slow -- before the economy crashed and then we thought we would have to work for the rest of our lives.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twrdocktor View Post
Hi, We will register the boat in Canada under a Blue Book registration. Our last boat in the Caribbean was also Canadian and we never paid the tax. BVI will also take your registration.
What is a "Blue Book" registration, any links to read the details?

Thanks
welljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 19:17   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by welljim View Post
What is a "Blue Book" registration, any links to read the details?

Thanks

Up until about 2004 Registry papers in Canada were provided in a blue hard cover folder. Note that Canadian Registration = US Documentation.
If formation on this can be found here

Tags
beneteau, buying, sailing