Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-02-2016, 05:32   #1

Boat: Hunter ad least 30 ft
Broker with own docks, Florida

I知 looking for a broker who is interested to sell a sailboat around the value of 25000,-.
As I will go back to the Netherlands and are not in the possibility to go often to Florida to check, I知 searching for a broker who I can trust and has own docks where the boat can stay. I知 willing to pay 15% fee in case the boat gets sold and if the boat can stay at the dock for free.

The plan is that we will buy a sailboat 6 months earlier and sail around in the Caribbean and sell it than again in Florida. So we could advertise already during our 6 month sailing time and hope to find a buyer.
Somebody has good suggestions?

Old 03-02-2016, 05:48   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Re: Broker with own docks, Florida

Enrico,

If you started a business just like this.... You would have far more clients than you could handle....

Nobody stores a boat for free...

Nobody buys a boat that is expected to return in 6 months...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:02   #3

Boat: 1989 O'Day 322

What type of boat? I'll be traveling to Florida next month to buy a boat in that price range.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico43 View Post
I知 looking for a broker who is interested to sell a sailboat around the value of 25000,-.
As I will go back to the Netherlands and are not in the possibility to go often to Florida to check, I知 searching for a broker who I can trust and has own docks where the boat can stay. I知 willing to pay 15% fee in case the boat gets sold and if the boat can stay at the dock for free.

The plan is that we will buy a sailboat 6 months earlier and sail around in the Caribbean and sell it than again in Florida. So we could advertise already during our 6 month sailing time and hope to find a buyer.
Somebody has good suggestions?
Re you serious? LOL
Old 03-02-2016, 08:45   #5

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Why not buy a brand new boat, sail for a few weeks, then just return it (for a full refund).
Old 03-02-2016, 09:01   #6

Boat: lancer 36

most brokers have a 3000 dollar minimum commission so fifteen percent on twenty five thousand won't be very enticing.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:27   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 2006 Catalina 350
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Actually most brokers have a $3500 to I've even seen $7500 minimum.
There are really no broker owned docks in Florida. A broker in a certain marina may control a few slips but nothing is free even if if you bought at $500K boat.

Everything in Florida is at a premium and costs a lot of money. At best the cheapest places are behind someone's condo or house where by they are looking to just make $300-400 a month and there are a lot of them but you have to search them out thru want ads, the internet etc. They are out there though and you can find some slips north of lauderdale in that range but you just about have to be there to find them.

As far as your buying price range at $25K, it's not a lot but I would not discourage you. Most brokers don't deal in that price range anymore because it's as much aggravation to sell that boat as a $100K one, but there are plenty of boats out there that change hands, owner to owner. Again look on the internet, craigs list etc.
Good luck in your search.
Direct line-713-817-7216
Waterford Harbor, 800 Mariners Drive Pier 6/7, Kemah, TX 77565
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:43   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Bradford Marine in Ft Lauderdale is the only brokerage that offers free dockage for listings that I know of. I don't know if they even list sailboats. Here is their web site.
Bradford Marine Yacht Sales (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
Old 03-02-2016, 10:09   #9

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

If I've read the OP's request correctly - he wants to buy a boat (possibly a Hunter) in the US for around $25K, cruise the Bahamas and Caribbean for 6 months, then return to Florida and turn the boat over to a broker to sell while he returns to the Netherlands. And he wants to identify that broker now.

There are brokers who specialize in the low cost boats and can provide storage space for a reasonable time until the boat is sold. I dealt with one of these in MD when I sold my previous boat in 2001. He had space on the hard for several dozen boats at a boatyard, and would haul the boat and actively sell it. Those brokers exist, but are not common.

Probably the best option for the OP is to use a boat flipper - someone who will buy the boat and then sell it him or her self. The downside is that the flipper is not going to pay anything close to the market value of the boat as there would be no profit in that transaction.
Also boat flippers come and go. They don't have nice shiny offices and docks. So trying to identify one 6 months to a year prior to the sale is totally unrealistic.

The only advice I can give the OP is to do enough research to identify the boat, come to the US and purchase it, sail it, then put it up for sale with a broker or flipper. If the boat is in reasonable condition and priced right, it will sell in a few months, but you will likely have to pay for the storage and will not get anything close to what you paid for it.

John

Edited to add: Just noticed the OP wants to have a broker advertise the boat for sale while he's cruising, so it can sell immediately on his return to Florida. One more unrealistic expectation.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:23   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No free docks out there.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:34   #11

The math of the OP's original premise does not add up.

If the dock space is worth a certain amount of $$ by allowing a listed boat use it for free for say 6 months, the broker/his office forgo 6X$$ in income. And all for a dubious chance to may be someday earn a 15% commission on a $25K boat. Assuming it'll sell at that price. Now, if the broker has a yard with too many unused spots then may be it'll work. But then you have to ask yourself - why is that broker so desperate to list so little profitable listing?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:21   #12

Basically the OP wants to cruise the Caribbean for six months, and spend out of pocket well under 10 grand on the boat. Charters are over 2k per week, I suppose, so that's surely out.

It's a tough problem, but I think I would contact a couple of brokers by phone, explain what the primary goal is, and ask how they might approach it. You just never know who they might know, or what they might suggest.

Might contact brokers in the Bahamas, as a long term rental-type arrangement would not likely want you to leave the US.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:00   #13

The old axiom, 'if you play...u gonna pay'....Sir, if you look at the inventory of boats available in the Carib and Florida, well, you could literally go blind looking at all of them. Nothing wrong with 25k dollar boats. It simply is a platform to get you from point A to point B. The other axiom that is common in the boating community is, ' the two happiest days in a boatman's life is the day he bought it and the day he finally could sell it." There are only a billion or so of these stories around.

So, what everyone is trying to tell you is "it ain't as easy u think!" To stack things in your favor may I suggest a few things? First off, is the correct mind set going into this adventure. You have to accept you are going to lose a sizeable amount of money. If you buy a really primo (excellent shape) boat you will pay a premium for that boat, but she will be easier to sell later. The chances of selling the boat, even if you return it in 'like' condition, will take time. During that time it will eat you alive for bottom cleaning and slip rentals. What if the boat doesn't sell for years? Trust me it happens all of the time. Now you are stuck with ownership of a boat that you thought you could play 6 months and escape. It is easier to escape a bad relationship with a woman than it is to escape the financial relationship with a boat.

So, you will have to think of what a few posters have said and investigate boat flippers, brokers who store boats on the hard (not sure if south florida has that), or Craig's list direct owner-buyer contacts. Like Dirty Harry, Inspector Callahan, Clint Eastwood movie, said, "Do you feel lucky?"

Have you thought about crewing on bigger boats that are looking for young people?
If you were to charter a cheap boat it could cost you 4-6K a month X 6 months= 24-36K. Wow, that is a lot of money. So, here is how I think of these things. If I bought a 25k dollar boat and used it for half a year. I want to unload it fast and get back to making money back home and not deal with the hassles. I would pick the best 25 footer in S. Florida, pay a premium to get it, and then sale it for 12k dollars when I got done. I lost 12-13 thousand dollars divided by 6 months = 2K a month for the pleasure of doing and going my own way. You spruce up the boat when you get back with a bottom job, clean her up, and sell her fast at that price. Two thousand a month ain't nothing for a months rental. I would wager my pay check u won't find a better deal for what you are asking to do. That is how I would do it if I was you.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:08   #14

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Another way to solve this problem might be to look for a long-term/seasonal boat charter.
Old 03-02-2016, 13:00   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

An issue is I'm not so sure you can buy a 25K boat and not have to put much money in her and have her ready to cruise for six months?

Any chance at all you could find a couple that would be willing to buy and spend the next six months on her after you leave? Someone in the Netherlands?

Tags
dock, florida

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: