Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2013, 13:24   #1

Boat: Leopard 42
Broker in Florida

We are planning on moving to Florida in Sept, buying a boat and setting off for three years in the Caribbean. Besides spending way too much time on the internet and Yatchworld, I am speaking to a gentleman at the Catamaran Co. We are looking for a Lagoon 410, owner's version and they seem to have a pulse on the market.

Any pitfalls I need to be aware of purchasing through a broker in the US? We will need insurance and they provide recommendations as well; good, bad or indifferent? We will probably sell the boat with the same person assuming the deal proceeds smoothly but does anyone have a broker that they strongly recommend?
Frozen Chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 13:53   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Broker in Florida

I know nothing about brokers, but I do know that we have a long term and trusted member on this site who is a broker in Florida: SAMS Marine Surveyors, Marine Surveyor, Florida, Boating Expert Witness, Jupiter, Stuart, West Palm Beach
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 15:23   #3

Boat: Rhodes 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
I know nothing about brokers, but I do know that we have a long term and trusted member on this site who is a broker in Florida: SAMS Marine Surveyors, Marine Surveyor, Florida, Boating Expert Witness, Jupiter, Stuart, West Palm Beach
Stetler is a stand-up surveyor. I have done a deal with him. It was an all CF deal with both the buyer and seller also having accounts.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 20:12   #4

Good resource thank you.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28   #5

Been in contact with a gentleman in Florida. Any advice on process, expectations, or pitfalls?
Old 11-02-2013, 07:55   #6

First off, starting a new thread would probably get you more answers to this new question. Second, more detailed and/or specific questions would help, too.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:15   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Chosen View Post
Been in contact with a gentleman in Florida. Any advice on process, expectations, or pitfalls?
Dont rush it, there are lots of boats. Getting too excited and trying to move things too quickly can cost you more money, and time down the road. Some brokers, want you to buy, they want the commission, end of story. Some are truly out for your best interests. Some ( a small few)
Think buying a used car at a car lot. So have lots of skepticism, get a good survey, get an oil analysis no matter what anyone tells you ( costs $25. per engine, takes only a couple days for results)
Seatrial the hell out of what ever you look at. If they try to rush it they are hiding things imho. Unless you find such a good deal all the above doesnt matter.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 00:12   #8

Hello all
I plan to buy a boat in Florida and sail back to Europe Canary Islands via Azores and the med the boat I am after is 1986 HC. Will I be able to SSR it before leaving Florida and will it be liable for import Tax I have been reading for some time it is all very confusing is it exempt as it is over 25 years old and do I need this cruising permit to leave Florida also I may have to stay over the winter before I can sail back 2014 as it may be to late to come back this year 2013 if it is liable for Tax I think Madeira is the lowest rate in Europe to pay it. thanks in advance
sailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 19:15   #9

Hi Sailor1, looks like your setting out on the same course as me. I'm also looking at buying a boat in Florida, and heading over to the U.K. I'm just starting to scratch my head over all the logistics involved and about one step behind you but going hard at it before the boat gets sold. Any chance of letting me know what you've found out to this stage that might help speed things along. I'll be sure to pass anything on to you once i'm up to speed. This must be a common occurance, and you'd think it must have been covered in some yachting magazine in the past. Any help from you or anyone else reading this would be appreciated, Yamba...
yamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:23   #10

from what I have read and some of what I have heard it would cost a lot to buy in the USA I am a cruising sailor been around, here is what I have to say about this. If you find the boat you want and you are going to stay in UK they will want the TAX at some stage now here is what I am going to do I will reg in the Grenadines no TAX to pay this is a good way of avoiding Tax But you can only stay officialy in one port in the EU for 1 and half years all you have to do is go to another country for 24 hrs and back this for me is no problem as I am moving around all the time at present in the Canaries the tax seems to change all the time so when you go to sell your boat on who knows what the situation will be then cross that bridge when you come to it maybe even excempt good luck and happy sailing
sailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:14   #11

I am not sure of the tax implications ref importing a boat into the UK and I am sure others can help you there. Our timeline is quite tight and right now we are trying to narrow down our options, and the coordinate a move. I will rent an apartment in Lauderdale for several months to facilitate the search and get the deal done. There seem to be lots of resources in Lauderdale for sailing and I understand it is the centre for boats in the US. My only two cents is to get a good broker, surveyor and secure your financing. Decide how you will register the boat and you will need to get it out of the US within a defined period if you are not intending to pay US taxes.
Sorry I could't be more help but am just sorting through this myself.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:05   #12

There are a lot of really sleazy brokers out there. I would give Jordan yacht and ship a try. They are on this forum. They would have alot to loose by doing you wrong. Their list of boats that they represent has alot of nice ones on it. no ties, just my humble opinion.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:35   #13

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

I recently had a less than impressive experience with Massey Yachts in Palmetto Florida. Based on my data point of one transaction (albeit one that occurred over 4 months of communications and involved a lot of money) I would have to say stay away from them. The other party in my negotiations (the seller) was very upset with them.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:42   #14

That's good to know. Thank you.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:52   #15

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

on the other hand, FWIW - I did have quite a positive experience with the surveyor - Jonathon Sands of Atlantic Marine Group. I think they are based in Ft. Lauderdale, but he had no problem coming to Tarpon Springs to help me (and get paid of course). Good communicator, relatively thorough report, and responsive to inquiries and requests.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida