Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2012, 03:52   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Broker Closing Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Well obviously Google knows more about my boat than me. Stands to reason really, only the other day Larry Page was down here polishing it. Wasn't near as good at the job as the Woz though. I take it you speak Noonuccal, - hell do you even know where the Noonuccal people come from? It may also mean other things yes. And that might be a very cool and happy coincidence, but it was named for a particular reason, in honour of a friend of mine and a very great man.

But WTF would I know, its only my boat.
No, i do not speak Noonuccal, safe bet there. However, i do know that they are from Stradbroke Island, the area in which i sail. Being of an enquiring nature i have done internet research on Aboriginal words and translations and cannot find any reference at all to your boat name being an Aboriginal word for anything. But am happy to be proven ignorant, and wrong, in this if you can provide the information to me.

Coops.
Old 21-07-2012, 08:14   #62

Boat: Heritage East 40

Coops, come on mate, we already know and have established that Brokers dont Lie... ;-)
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 10:13   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
No, i do not speak Noonuccal, safe bet there. However, i do know that they are from Stradbroke Island, the area in which i sail. Being of an enquiring nature i have done internet research on Aboriginal words and translations and cannot find any reference at all to your boat name being an Aboriginal word for anything. But am happy to be proven ignorant, and wrong, in this if you can provide the information to me.

Coops.
Looks like your not going to get an answer to this one. Oh well, my experience is that brokers don't like giving real answers because they just don't know, or worse, do know, and won't tell.

Nothing new here, is there?
Old 21-07-2012, 15:25   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am not actually knocking brokers as such. They perform a necessary function in getting buyers and sellers together. they also have to try and keep both sides happy, sometimes a very difficult task. They also have to spend hours with dreamers and woftm's that will never buy a boat but just want to go and look at some for something to do.

I used to work as one, i also was a car salesman and sales manager for car yards for many years in Sydney, so yes i have "fudged" the truth sometimesin my quest to get a dollar, but who hasn't when you think about it? How many of you have not told the whole truth about something to keep your job, sell something, buy something, keep your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/husband on the smooth road? It's life is it not?

You learn to "dance" with words when dealing with people in these positions, the more that you do it the easier it gets to make them sound real. The old adage that "If you can fake sincerity, you have it made" applies to most sales positions.

As always, generalisations are fraught with rubbish. Not all brokers are dishonest, some try as hard as they can to be truthful, but have to make a living, and they deal with dishonest sellers and buyers as well as the good ones. Yes,some brokers are downright rogues. The same could be said of any profession, no matter what it is, so judge on the way you are treated by the individual, not the whole genre, would be my advice.

Coops.
Old 21-07-2012, 16:10   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Unbelievable,

a bunch of keyboard warriors, reinforcing each other's petty prejudices and bias. You got something to say to me about me go for it. But say it too me about me and not in snide spineless innuendo. Coops sails past straddie and thinks he is an expert. Yes the boat's name can mean what he thinks, and as I explained in small and easily understood words earlier, thats a happy coincidence, the reality is that much time was spent with some Noonuccal relatives to find a Straddie word that also had meaning for me. Again though Google knows more.

I am comprehensively over the imputed attacks on my integrity. I spent most of my life in Law enforcement, including a time in the professional standards unit of the QPS immediately post Fitzgerald, some time at the ABCI's ethical investigations area in Canberra and authored some intelligence reviews of border corruption issues in Australia in the 90s. I am retired from a working life in the Public Service, state and Federal and I do the Seawind selling thing and the small amount of brokering because its fun. And it is fun. But its certainly not for the money, I could have made much much more where I was or indeed consulting in my field.

I welcome the opportunity to talk with anyone, PM me and i will give you my phone number.

I dont tell lies, this whole thread has been an exercise in poor logic, "I had a bad experience with a broker once there they are all bad". Or "I told lies in business therefore everyone does"
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 16:26   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Unbelievable,

Coops sails past straddie and thinks he is an expert."
Never claimed to be an expert good sir, and thank you for your insinuations, but DILLIGARA to you. In both of it's perceived meanings.

Coops.