Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2013, 15:33   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Boat Transport or Dry Dock? SD/Newport Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmjoseph View Post
Thanks ;-) I got some numbers from a yard here in SD, and it looks like $2,500 - $3,000 USD a MONTH to keep a boat there ($2.50/foot per day)!! That seems a bit outrageous...?
Yes...Totally outrageous. Northern Ca. is a different story. I'm anchored down here waiting to cross into Mexico soon. Ever since Santa Barbara...it's all about money. I know your heart is in the right place wanting to restore a tired boat. It was once an earnest undertaking...not anymore.
I've resurrected or built from scratch, 7 boats now. There probably won't be an 8th with the way things are. To be honest, I don't know what is going to happen to all these forgotten vessels.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 16:02   #17

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmjoseph View Post
... I guess getting a slip in SD is near impossible. My Grampa has been on a waiting list for 4 years already for Oceanside! ...
Try Chula Vista Marina per previous link. Long way from North Country, but lower rates and usually something open. Can take Coaster then Trolley (stop is about a mile from marina). There is small West Marine nearby (all other marine stores up by Shelter Island).

Oceanside (along with Santa Barbara) are notorious for being marinas hard to get into. People have paid way over market price for boats in those marinas just to get rights to the slip. Others wait hoping that a slip holder dies so they can move up a spot on the waiting list. Sick
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 17:08   #18

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
If you are working full time in a regular job, and have a lot to do on the boat, a boatyard stay in your area will end up costing more than the value of the boat pretty quick. Yard days are expensive.

The boat move should not be real expensive as Temecula is only a couple hours drive. The big issue there is how do you unload/reload the boat in Temecula from a boat transport trailer? A crane capable of that lift will be very expensive.

A thought: Buy an old low boy trailer, fab some sort of cradle or strong supports, and get boat loaded onto that via Travel lift. Pay trucker to transport trailer to/from Temecula and work on boat on the trailer. Sell trailer later.

Example:
1973 Trim Trailer, Roanoke VA - 110654390 - CommercialTruckTrader.com

Might make sense if talking a year+ project.
The best option by far for this type of project!

Cheers,
Mac
Wraith_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, newport, newport beach