Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 21:09   #1

Boat Owning Costs Spreadsheet

G'day,

I'm based in Sydney and looking over the next year to buy probably a Northshore 27 for family days and the odd night on the water and to bring my two small boys up with a knowledge of sailing.
I'm still currently looking at running costs and wondered if anyone could direct me to a spreadsheet or calculator of some sort to assist with this.

Thank you
GuySydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 21:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Boat owning costs spreadsheet

Guy,

It is going to be hard to find something like this for a small boat. Someone may have them, but a spreadsheet that covers this is going to have to be very general, there are just too many variables in the way boats of this size get used.

As a good rule of thumb, assuming the boat is in good condition when you buy her, figure 10% of the purchase price a year in maintenance! plus slippage! and insurance.

For old boats there is often a large upfront cost to get things into decent shape, which really needs to be accounted for on the purchase price. And needs to be added back to the value to determin the 10% maintenance costs.

There is also the question of how much of the work you will be capable of doing yourself. Marine electricians and mechanics around here charge double what a shore side one would cost. Boat repair work is $20-$30/hr, for the equivalent of construction worker level of skill. Paying people for this work, is not included in the 10% base! that assumes you are doing the labor yourself.

Then there is specific boat issues. I don't know anything about the boat you have selected, but some boats just demand much more work than others (anything wood for instance).

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 23:25   #3

Thank you Greg,
10% for maintenance is a helpful rule of thumb. I may try to develop a spreadsheet covering some of the basics including mooring options, levels of insurance cover, licence fees etc for other people considering their first boat.
Hope it isn't enough to put the off!
Thanks again
Old 17-04-2014, 19:52   #4

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

You can count on around $1000pa for a swing mooring and registration in Sydney, or $500pcm for a cheap marina mooring with a shuttle service. If you're staying inside the harbour radio licences aren't really needed, but you'll need to pass the MROVCP test to use the VHF.

Maintenance is an open ended thing, depends on how much work is needed, how much you can do yourself and whether you have the time and/or are willing to do it. I don't insure my boats so can't comment on that aspect. If you get a mooring from NSW Maritime there's also the annual mooring inspection fee, count on $200pa plus any needed replacement parts such as lines, swivels or chain that wear out. The actual mooring tackle has to be bought as well, try Gumtree for that and expect to outlay $1000 at least. When a yacht is sold transfer of the mooring currently in use is NOT guaranteed, since you need to be on the waiting list for the area. See:

Priority Waiting Lists - Sydney Region - Maritime

By far the most expensive individual items will be engine repairs and sails. If these are in good condition when you buy the yacht you're well in front. Learn to do all the preventative maintenance and inspections to protect your investment.

NSW Maritime are also very fussy about the condition of the hull. Set aside $2500pa for haulouts and antifoul, and if you're planning to compete in club races a quarterly dive and scrape will set you back $80.00 as well. As an alternative consider having an ultrasonic antifouling system fitted. Jaycar have a kit designed by Silicon Chip magazine if you're handy with electronics.

Most older boats will need their electrical wiring revised, if only because the available technologies have changed so much. For reliability and usability, consider fitting a pair of brand new 100AH AGM batteries, 200W of solar panels (and any needed mountings) and replacing all globes with LEDs to reduce power. Cigarette lighter sockets for laptops and phone chargers are a must-have item and are unlikely to be fitted.

You can do without refrigeration, cabin heating and microwave ovens but a good gas stove is essential. With several people aboard this will have to be a properly fitted gimballed stove, although being a solo sailor I get away with a $10 Bunnings camping stove and propane cans myself.

Other things to consider: the wiring and halyards on the mast can be expensive to fix if missing or damaged, as can fitting a VHF antenna or Windex if they aren't present. Check out the mast, winches and all lines and anchor chain thoroughly and keep them in good order. Unless you're planning to exit the heads you can dispense with AIS, but a working depth sounder and compass are vital items.

Watch out for the ferries! The ones displaying an orange diamond have right of way and will not slow down, even if you're running under sail and unable to get out of their way.

Oh yeah, and in deference to the previous postings, $30ph for repair work in Sydney is way too low. DIY is the only sane option unless it's covered by insurance.

Hope that helps.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 21:57   #5

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySydney View Post
Thank you Greg,

10% for maintenance is a helpful rule of thumb. I may try to develop a spreadsheet covering some of the basics including mooring options, levels of insurance cover, licence fees etc for other people considering their first boat.

Hope it isn't enough to put the off!

Thanks again

Greg, with all the variables you are going to face a spreadsheet will not be effective, I would look for a good relational ship data base to handle it. Look at one using Java as it will be more dynamic, you may want to check if a commercial app or a boater development is available. I know Excel's formulas will not handle the variables you need to program.

Good luck.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 20:30   #6

Haiqu and Boating2go, thank you both for your informative response, i'm still gathering all of the info i can before taking the plunge.
Old 05-05-2014, 21:37   #7

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Additional boating rules of thumb:

When estimating costs, think of the absolute most the job could possibly cost, in your wildest dreams--now double that, if you're lucky.

Everything costs twice as much and takes 3 times as long.

When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 23:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Additional boating rules of thumb:

When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
I like this
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:10   #9

Boat: Pacific 27

I just went through the process. Brought a pacific 27. Here's a small break down.
Boat - 10k
Boat club membership - 320 per year
300 one off fee
Mooring - $25 per week
Slipping for anti foul and inspection $55
Inspection for insurance $650
Insurance $ 700
Fixed the wheel steering $500

Other stuff I have done has added up to about $800 which includes deck paint, new areals for 27mg and am/fm radio, antifoul, taps for the sink, motor parts,

Then if you include the inflatable life jackets it's about $60 each.

I am allowing 1k per year in maintenance.

Hope this helps
Moraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 12:43   #10

Re: Boat Owning Costs Spreadsheet

Here's a free one I found somewhere on the internet a year ago. I was going to customize this but my shoebox of receipts will remain until I get my boat back together.

live aboard.xls
syd spray is offline   Reply With Quote