Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 14:49   #1

Boat: Lagoon 560
Boat Chartering Query

Hi.

I think I will probably get shot down for this but I wanted to get an answer anyway.

I am looking after a Lagoon 560 for a friend of mine. We are part way through a 3 year circumnavigation. Currently in French Polynesia. We are heading to Fiji soon and then to Aus for Christmas.

The owner has returned to the UK and said that he will not be coming out to the boat very much now until Christmas. I am carrying on with the trip with just me and my wife.

The owner has suggested that if we could get any paying guests on-board then he would split the profits with us 50/50. Which could help pay for a few meals out etc.

I have my Yachtmaster with commercial endorsement. However the boat is not coded and I do not think there is anywhere in this area we could get it coded.

I will not be able to put the boat with a charter company, but was wondering if there was a "lend out your boat" undercover website for people looking for a cheap week away.

I have not asked the owner to check with his insurers yet, but, would he be able to get insurance if the boat is not coded ?

Am I wasting my time trying to do this ?
oos_ya_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 15:15   #2

Boat: Nautor Swan57rs
Hi there. I have done many trips over the years with guests who after the trip became paying customers. Lot of this happens but nobody really write about it here :-)

Good luck!

Cheers
sepeteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 21:34   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by oos_ya_daddy View Post
Hi.

I think I will probably get shot down for this but I wanted to get an answer anyway.

I am looking after a Lagoon 560 for a friend of mine. We are part way through a 3 year circumnavigation. Currently in French Polynesia. We are heading to Fiji soon and then to Aus for Christmas.

The owner has returned to the UK and said that he will not be coming out to the boat very much now until Christmas. I am carrying on with the trip with just me and my wife.

The owner has suggested that if we could get any paying guests on-board then he would split the profits with us 50/50. Which could help pay for a few meals out etc.

I have my Yachtmaster with commercial endorsement. However the boat is not coded and I do not think there is anywhere in this area we could get it coded.

I will not be able to put the boat with a charter company, but was wondering if there was a "lend out your boat" undercover website for people looking for a cheap week away.

I have not asked the owner to check with his insurers yet, but, would he be able to get insurance if the boat is not coded ?

Am I wasting my time trying to do this ?
By word of mouth , it can be done, under the radar , outside of that there's a risk.

The insurance is very important. Are you currently insured , as many insurers require the owner of a small craft to be present most of the time. Adding paying guests to that cold be difficult.

If the boat is UK flagged , it should be MCA coded , otherwise you may find your insurance voided.

Dave
Old 26-06-2013, 00:50   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Boat Chartering Query

I believe the phrase used is "cost sharing" (as crew) - except the level is somewhere between actual cost and commercial charter. Calling it a "grey area" may be kind!, one of those things where if no problems then all will be fine - but if something happens (the "crew" get injured and start suing or some authority gets interested) then the sh#t can hit the fan.

IMO the good news for you is that you will be moving between jurisdictions, which means the authorities won't be aware of you for long plus you won't be fishing for punters on someone else's patch nor directly competing against any locals (who IMO quite rightly will be pissed at someone coming in undercutting by avoiding the expensive red tape). Plus being often between countries means that less law / regulations apply.

If the boat gets damaged (or lost!) the key will be for that to happen in a way that is not specific to the "crew" being onboard, and then not confusing the insurer with too many details. Probably best not to leave too many details on Google that can identify you, boat and intentions.........

None of the above is meant as a recommendation or encouragement.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote