Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 19:40   #16

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Come to think of it,
since the govt. won't give you the "primary home" tax break when selling your boat after living on it for two years (they don't consider it a home), if you are a livaboard you are in fact homeless so the sign really isn't disingenuous...

Old 05-04-2010, 20:35   #17

Boat: Westsail 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
When I lived in Philadelphia, Pa., the local TV station did a story on a homeless man. He lived in the suburbs and took public transportation into town each day. He claimed he made a nice income begging. I do not remember the amount but I do remember he made more than I did working fulltime.
At one very low point in my life I ended up living on the streets of Wash DC. I had to resort to juggling circus clubs for cash and I knew many, many more who simply panhandled. Most were mentally/ emotionally challenged or had substance abuse issues, but there were the single mothers with kids who were put out of the shelters each day in the morning to fend for themselves. And yes, some panhandled, some sold drugs, some sold their bodies. Whatever they had to do to survive. Because panhandling is an extremely humiliating occupation, of which abuse (emotional and physical)is a major perk, everyone I knew would make a few bucks and get some food a pack of smokes and some booze, grab some blankets hidden in the bushes and call it a day. No one I knew made much money at all. Whether they did or not is not my point though.
I think continuing to spread this kind of misinformation does so much harm I just wanted to perhaps clarify a little what homelessness is about. It is a miserable, soul killing, wretched existence. Pray that you never end up there.

Nowadays I pass out vodka and cigarettes at Christmas. Doesn't help too much but boy are those fellas glad to see me coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22680_218370894349_656339349_2894086_6416158_n.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	14749  

Old 05-04-2010, 21:07   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post

Nowadays I pass out vodka and cigarettes at Christmas. Doesn't help too much but boy are those fellas glad to see me coming.
Really a nice post... until I read that line.

I used to hand over a dollar to the guy who asked for it. But time and time again when I got close enough, it became obvious what he really wanted to do with the money.

I hate to see threads go from friendly to unfriendly, but I can't sit too still for counter productive contributions to a homeless persons situation.

I've been out of work before and had to rely upon the charity of others for 4 years. I am sooo glad that I didn't have tobacco and alcohol issues to drain what little money I had. I hope that does not sound judgemental of those with those issues. But thinking you're helping when you're hurting is hard to sit still for.
Old 05-04-2010, 21:51   #19

Boat: Westsail 28
I realize that this has strayed from being a boat topic but I hope you won't mind this last bit.

364 days of the year homeless drunks and addicts are shamed, beaten, lectured, made to sing on command for a lousy bowl of soup and "helped" by tons of people who would like to help them or maybe just change them.

For just one day of the year on Christmas, while you are inside watching the kiddies open presents, I will save a few guys from having to suffer the idignity and humiliation of having to beg a lousy couple bucks from some condescending shmuck who wants to grill them about whether they will by booze. It's friggin Christmas...so here guys, have a little christmas party with this pint of Vodka and by the way, you don't have to pick cigarette butts out of the ashtrays today either cuz here's a whole pack of newports for ya. Just one day out of the year I want them to not worry about improving therselves and just have a good Christmas. I understand my view is controversial but there it is.
Old 05-04-2010, 22:07   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I treat homeless Native Americans in Phoenix, and I haven't met any of them that have money. They are in and out of the homeless shelters depending on the weather. I have noticed a lot of violence against the homeless. I have treated them after they were mugged for the little bit of money that they earned from odd jobs. Being homeless in Phoenix is a high risk situation, and the pay is low to non-existent in the people that I treat.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
Old 05-04-2010, 22:34   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
As far as the first post....what bidness is it of yours

As far as this one?

Many people are a paycheck away from homeless.

I knew School teachers (among others with children)

Just remember...bubs.....there, but for the Grace of A Higher Power go you.

Many of the chronic homeless are there because the PC folks didn't like them in institutions.........kinda like "the operation was a sucess but the patient dies"

I have bought booze and butts for a few alchoholics over the years.....
it may have saved some their lives....maybe because they knew I was sober they decided to "step into the rooms"

"There is nothing worse than a head full of AA and a bellyful of booze"

Quote:
I realize that this has strayed from being a boat topic but I hope you won't mind this last bit.

364 days of the year homeless drunks and addicts are shamed, beaten, lectured, made to sing on command for a lousy bowl of soup and "helped" by tons of people who would like to help them or maybe just change them.

For just one day of the year on Christmas, while you are inside watching the kiddies open presents, I will save a few guys from having to suffer the idignity and humiliation of having to beg a lousy couple bucks from some condescending shmuck who wants to grill them about whether they will by booze. It's friggin Christmas...so here guys, have a little christmas party with this pint of Vodka and by the way, you don't have to pick cigarette butts out of the ashtrays today either cuz here's a whole pack of newports for ya. Just one day out of the year I want them to not worry about improving therselves and just have a good Christmas. I understand my view is controversial but there it is.
Old 05-04-2010, 22:58   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Since we're drifting

I lived a number of years in Edmonton, a very cold city most winters, and the alcoholics there didn't do much panhandling. They lived outdoors year round primarily because the shelters require that you show up sober and they either won't or can't do that. They recycle, bottles mostly but also other stuff such as metals found in dumpsters. In many cases they will get up as early as 5 am to try and beat the competition and work till they had enough to get drunk. Edmonton has a large river surounded by wooded park through the heart of it. It is the lowest density of any city in NA. These fellows camped out in -30. When it got below that the city would open the subways all night and have hot food. Hearty fellows living a difficult lifestyle in a harsh climate.

Old 05-04-2010, 23:59   #23

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
We don't have any information as to why someone is homeless, using drugs, unproductive, and depressed. We don't know. It is possible that there is some horrible threshold that any one of us could be pushed across that could cause us to be the same. We cannot judge because we don't know. That said, I choose to not give to panhandlers because I don't want to promote panhandling. I was homeless once, I stole food and slept outside. It sucked. I worked my way out of that and they could, too. Not all of them but many of them. I can't help them unless they make up their minds to do something for themselves. I know that because I did it.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:45   #24

Boat: Beneteau 393
We have homeless people in Australia. Some sleep rough and some go to charities.

In my town we have Richard who shambles the streets, looks 50-60 and always has the arse torn out of his pants and is filthy and bearded.

He has meals left out for him behind restuarants and people leave clothes for him. He wont accept anything from anyone so it has to be "left " for him.

The story is that his family died in a car accident and he held himself responsible and has lived ion the street since.

The local nurses grab him now and then and bath him and give him a bed but nothing changes.

But I have rarely seen anyone here begging and none carrying a sign.

Sometimes I think Americans and Australians are very similar, other times that they are a different world altogether. Not trying to be holier than thou - just wondering why.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:29   #25

Many of these folks have mental problems and without a loved one watching out for them they're in for a rough time. One woman in our town lived on the street. A charity got together and rented her a small place to stay with a stipend to pay for necessities. She never stayed there and continued to live on the street.

Regarding the original post. I assume it's humor on the part of the boat owners.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:42   #26
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Regarding the original post. I assume it's humor on the part of the boat owners.

I don't know if it was humor or not. The sign looked well used so the joke would have been long term. Guess I could have asked them or tossed a dollar into the cockpit. Guess based on some of the posts that I'm either a bad person or con resistant for not giving them some money.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:44   #27

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Don,
I think you just reported what you saw.

Virginia Boy,
1)There are people down and out. 2)There are people that were put out on the streets in the 70's when the institutions were closed because a federal law that included the term "least restricted environment". 3) There are con artists or very imaginative people that do not want to work. I wonder if Madoff fits in this classification. It is very hard for the average joe to determine where the beggar fits. For a honest, hard working, proud person, begging is difficult. I think Don brought to the forum that even con artists own sailboats. I was bringing forth the news report that was done by a TV station years ago.

John
Old 06-04-2010, 15:26   #28
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
My wife just reminder me that the couple sailed off after being lanuched. Maybe that's the homeless part.
Old 06-04-2010, 16:27   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
LOL! Good on ya

(and who is to say that they won't be selling the booze and sending the money to Orphans in Africa )
Old 08-04-2010, 07:59   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
i was advised many years ago that if one resides on board a boat that that person is technically a homeless person. they didnt give the rationale--but, thinking about it, it is very and definitively the truth.
is all goood----seems that the permanence factor is the telling factor--lol enjoy it !!!! it is freedom!!!!! as much of freedom as we will ever see again.....LOL!!

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: