Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2006, 20:05   #166

Well after 24 hours I see that my reply didn't appear. Lets see if this one shows?
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 23:28   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Uphill Water

Yes, water can be made to flow uphill :-
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s1647557.htm
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 07:09   #168

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hellosailor:

I agree that the devil is in the details. I would imagine that there is a way to do it as I met a guy who was doing it. How legal it was is always open for interpertation. I haven't researched it at all but I would think that if it was a legitimate non profit service that you were providing that it could be set up properly.

My opinion is that you would need to pay an attorney experienced in this type of work to set it up for you. From there it would be important to keep records of what you did and who you helped and made sure that it follows your non profit charter.

As a non profit start up you could fund it yourself and then you could do some of the work and make up colorful brochures for fundraising, get letters from local leaders about how you helped the places you visited, and don't pay yourself an exhobitant amount of money. In other words start your defensible position by documenting everything that you've done and make sure you meet the letter of the law.

I've seen non profits where the CEO makes boat loads of $ but b/c they meet all the requirements fo their charter the IRS couldn't touch them. The law is a double edged sword

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 07:44   #169
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Charlie, I have no doubt you could or did meet someone who claimed to be doing it. After all, there have been dozens of people interview on tv (some selling their books<G>) who tell us the income tax is illegal, we don't have to pay it. Or, that we can use offshore credit cards to make our income disappear. Funny thing, many of them have gone to prison over the years, after the tax man took away everything they got. (To borrow from the Kinks song.)
FWIW there are also "non-profit" versus "not for profit" corporations, and most of us don't realize there is any difference. Apparently that's one of the many things that determine what and how the officers can get paid, the money laundered (excuse me, contributed<G>), etc.
The lawyer is a good start. Odds are he'll tell you, if there's just one of you, and you are making more than the "foundation" gives away to everyone else...Well, you can get away with many things for many years. Problem is, AFAIK, there's no statute of limitations on tax fraud. And anyone who really knows how to avoid it, isn't going to share. Once they share, eventually it gets back to the IRS, who pass rules to end it.
Easier to just render unto Caesar, that greedy old b@stard.

Even if you find a legal out, the price of going to tax court and convincing them of that, is gonna be big money.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 08:43   #170

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hellosailor:

You are right. I'm not doing it myself. I met a guy who told me he was doing it. If I had a skill that was good for a "non-profit" and a salary to match I would probably try it. But my finances are set up differently. BTW the best way to beat the high cost of litigation w/ the IRS is to search the case law for someone who is really rich (and has already fought the battle) and copy them so that all you need to do is quote a particuilar case.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 18:21   #171

What would you spend?

Hello All,

As mentioned in earlier post:

I have a strong IT background. (currently manage the IT department for a company with 1000 employees)

I also have strong radio (commercial & ham) and electrical background.

Would it be reasonable to expect to be able to keep the cruising kitty topped off with these skills?

Will fellow cruisers be willing to pay a reasonable amount for professional services?

I tend to be the optimist and think that there is plenty of demand but realistically are there enough people in the cruising community willing to
pay for these services?

What do you think?

Thanks

Steve
Old 08-10-2006, 19:00   #172
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Steve-
"Would it be reasonable to expect to be able to keep the cruising kitty topped off with these skills?"
Only if:
1-You advertise your skills, and advertising and marketing are a world in themselves. Even a low-key putting it out in a marina is still advertising and marketing, and remember, without a work permit you probably can't dare putting anything on paper.

2-"Will fellow cruisers be willing to pay a reasonable amount for professional services?" Well...that's part of the marketing.<G> Sometimes folks will pay (or barter) for necessary radio and electronics repairs, but when it comes to computers, there are way more folks out there who would rather screw around for days, or complain you took too long, than just ante up and pay for solutions.

The question is, can you convince people to pay for what you want to do? After you find them, that is. You'll be freelancing. Tech skills are only a minor part of what it takes to do that, no one can tell if *you* will succeed at it in any regular way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:00   #173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohave_steve
Hello All,
... I also have strong radio (commercial & ham) and electrical background.
Would it be reasonable to expect to be able to keep the cruising kitty topped off with these skills?
Will fellow cruisers be willing to pay a reasonable amount for professional services? ...
Steve
Excepting the very affluent, I've never found most cruisers to be particularly “spendy”. They just don’t have the large cash reserves available to be profligate.

Most of my work, for fellow “cruisers”, has been pro bono publico, or “in kind”, or for very nominal fees. Notwithstanding, there were times when even (just) a free lunch, or a few dollars were quite welcome; and a heartfelt “thank you” is always rewarding (and beneficial to your reputation).

On the other hand, “Yachtsmen” (mega-yacht owners & captains, or affluent boat-tourists) can be a wonderful source of income, for “hi-tech” trades such as yours (they won’t pay much for day-labour).

It’s worth noting, that I generated some business in Florida, through previous contacts (direct & indirect) made in the Islands. Since we only cruised 6 months “out”, and returned to Ft Lauderdale (and worked) each summer, our experience won’t mirror that of most cruisers.

As hellosailor indicated, advertising can be problematic (”...remember, without a work permit you probably can't dare putting anything on paper...”). Not only are you likely to be an “illegal alien” in most countries you visit, but also a transient (not around long enough to develop a reputation).

Maggie & I always carried, and freely distributed, “business cards” with a USA address etc. My business name was “Southbound Marine Electric”, Southbound being our boat name, and thereby identifying us. Technically, handing out (or even publicly posting) the cards may have been seen as a solicitation for business in the US, and perhaps not a violation of local employment & immigration laws. I also had a plastic sign, advertising “Master Electrician for Hire”; but I never had the nerve to display it (offshore).

In your case, you might display your amateur & commercial radio operator licensensure.

Good luck, and HTH,

Gord May, Master Electrician & Boatwright - “Southbound Marine Electric”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:45   #174

Electrical, Communications & Instrumentation vs. PC skills?

Thanks for the reply.

It sounds like I would be better served to pursue my NMEA & ABYC certifications and focus on the comm & nav side of things.

I have found that land based PC users TEND to fall into two general classes. Those who view thier PC as a tool and those who view thier PC as a toy.

To draw a paralell:
As a hobby level "mechanic" I occasionally tinker with cars for fun. I buy Craftsman tools at Sears. My "real mechanic"
who depends on his tools to earn a living recognizes the value of spending top $ for Snap-On tools.

In my land based work I can work on someones "toy" and expect dinner or a couple coldies in return or I can spend my day supporting the tools that a business depends on to keep thier operation running and bill $125 an hour.

What I am really after is the ability to cruise in a frugal manner and not have to worry about where dinner is going to come from and not have to tap my retirement savings.

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 09-10-2006, 11:12   #175
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Piracy has worked for many.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:38   #176
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
ABYC Certification Programs:
http://www.abycinc.org/educationprog...cationpgms.cfm

with links, including:

On-line Testing for ABYC Certification Designation:
http://www.abycinc.org/educationprog...ne_testing.cfm

and

The National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA)
Certified Marine Electronics Technicians (CMET) program:
http://www.nmea.org/cmet/cmet.html

including

CMET Application Forms:
http://www.nmea.org/cmet/forms.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 12:10   #177

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
<<Of course, writing doesn't pay very well, for most of us.>>

I've been a freelance journalist for the past decade or so (and a newspaperman before that) and I know there are lot of people for whom writing doesn't pay at all. Usually, it's because they're not very good.

I've made a pretty good living, but when I begin the world cruising thing, I don't expect to be able to stay at the same level, mainly because I currently spend a lot of time gallivanting around the continent covering meetings, often with only a few days (and sometimes hours) notice.

Hard to do that when the nearest airport is 500 very wet miles away.

But I expect to cut my coat to suit my cloth and do other sorts of journo work, while bringing in enough to cover the costs. Just not sure what yet.

Long-winded way of saying I think writing is an option, if you have the skills.

MS
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2006, 08:47   #178

Piracy..

"Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late. The cannons don't thunder, theres nothing to plunder......."

I think there my be a little Pirate in all of us on this board. However, after having spent a thankfully short period of time as the guest of a foreign government in a sparcely decorated 8x8 while settling a disagreement over
what one should & should not carry across a certain border I do try to
keep my pirate tendancies under control........
Old 26-11-2006, 08:58   #179

Underwater PC repair?

Finally got around to my Open Water scuba cert.

How about "Steve's Underwater PC repair" ?? Just kidding.

Any suggestions for how I could use this to generate income while cruising?

Underwater recovery, repair or maintenance???
Old 09-12-2006, 19:50   #180
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohave_steve
Finally got around to my Open Water scuba cert. Any suggestions for how I could use this to generate income while cruising? Underwater recovery, repair or maintenance???
Hull cleaning is certainly a necessary part of boat maintenance (especially in warm climes) but my guess is that "out there" everybody and their brother either has their own dive gear or can borrow it. Maybe you could find enough people who didn't have the inclination to do it themselves to make it pay, but I doubt it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote