Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-01-2006, 17:27   #61

I have some ideas. But, I hate to be rude to anybody on this here forum.

I'd be damned foolish to post those ideas here on this forum. Unless you first front me some partnership money. Then we could talk business?

Old 06-01-2006, 18:33   #62

Boat: C&C Corvette
A dangerous transition?

As have many others, we've dreamed of finding a way to transition to a boat or marine - based income to enable a quicker move to the cruising lifestyle.

My biggest worry though, is this - twice already in my life I have taken a cherished hobby and successfully turned it into a career. As a result, I've had two enjoyable careers, but in the process have utterly lost interest in two favourite hobbies.

I'd never forgive myself if the same happened to sailing - if I lost my passion as a result of the day-to-day work association. I'd be interested in any thoughts.

Rob

Old 06-01-2006, 19:17   #63
Kai Nui

Wiz, I am impressed. Another great idea.
Kevin, You are too young to be an old stick in the mud I think you need to look into the old business of putting an add inthe back of a magazine asking people to send you a dollar for the secret to making money.
Leeway, I share your concern, and have run into the same issues. That is one of the main reasons I started this thread. I enjoy working on my boats, as well as sailing them, and I do not want to use that as a source of income. That is why I am looking for ideas. Some of the ideas posted so far express the unique creativity that is so prevelant in the cruising community, and will likely spawn the perfect solution for me.
Old 06-01-2006, 22:15   #64

Well now..... I guess my name is mudd?

But, seriously Scott. I'm sure that there are lots of great ideas out there. Some of the folks on here don't want to reveal them. Or do not have anything to reveal.
Old 06-01-2006, 22:31   #65
Kai Nui

Never know unless you ask. And that's Mr Mudd isn't it
Old 06-01-2006, 23:00   #66

Yes. Mr. Mudd.

There's a story about Mr. Mudd. I hear that the man who shot President Lincoln used that name? At least that's what I heard.
Old 06-01-2006, 23:11   #67
Kai Nui

And Primus made it a hit. There is money everywhere, you just have to figure out how to extract it.
Old 06-01-2006, 23:31   #68

Damn straight Kai. Money is out there to be made. Gotta find that right niche, is all ya needs!!
Old 07-01-2006, 00:34   #69

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
irrespective of this topic, could we settle that it would be cool to do a (maybe weekly or monthly) podcast for sailing cruisers and wannabes? I think it would be simple to set up. If that's the case, perhaps we can all pool in resources (I can chip in music services if needed).
Old 07-01-2006, 01:21   #70

Podcast could work. But, it'd be very limited. And you can only play so many hours on them things. And only a limited number of programs.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:46   #71

Quote:
CaptainK once whispered in the wind:
Podcast could work. But, it'd be very limited. And you can only play so many hours on them things. And only a limited number of programs.
Sorry, I'm not following. When you say its limited; do you mean the audience (target market), or do you mean in terms of technology features?
As far as number of programs; I think there are hundreds if not in the thousands of podcasts currently. You'd be amazed at the diversity of topics.

From what I can tell, the cruiser audience is behind other hobbiest (for lack of a better term) in terms of their web usage (as a whole). As the internet gets more prevalent in remote places and technology makes access easier and more cost effective, the cruiser community will evolve to more than just random website and forums. Portals with rich content and podcasts on a range of nautical/ seamanship topics. Just like there is for car, outdoor or fashion enthusiasts.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:03   #72

Redbull Addict

I'm a little behind information on certain techno gadgets. ie: Podcasts.

I am just learning about these gadgets through my brother. Who happens to be a techno-geek. (American term)

But you also have to really think about the mass majority of real crusiers. Do you really think they would spend excess money on extra technology. When they need money for fixin' up their boat, and such. And their budget for long distance cruising.

I'm sure for some folks it would be a ok. Due to it's size and everything. But, I'm still learning about these gadgets.

But, then again. This is just my opinion. And from what I hear around on this forum. And other sources. I haven't heard much about this gadget. This gadget hasn't been out that long. But, I'm sure it'll have a following.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:44   #73
Kai Nui

Pod casting is an interesting, and growing technology. It is essentially just another form of radio, only you do not have to pay the high fees that the FCC charges for commercial radio. However, you do have to pay for bandwidth, and that can equate to a few hundred dollars a month for the more involved programs. You also often have to purchase programming. I have this optin available for my show. This means that in order to make money, you have to sell advertising, and maintaining advertisers is a full time job. The ham nets have been providing weather and news info for free for years, but cannot "broadcast" entertainment, so that is where the podcasting would come in. For a techno junkie with some ambition, this could be an option, but it would be a very involved business. It certainly could be run from a boat, and, come to think of it, really does have potential.
Old 07-01-2006, 16:41   #74

Quote:
CaptainK once whispered in the wind:
Redbull Addict

But you also have to really think about the mass majority of real crusiers. Do you really think they would spend excess money on extra technology. When they need money for fixin' up their boat, and such. And their budget for long distance cruising.

I probably have a lot to learn about the demographics of real cruisers, but then again, you don't have to make your money off of just "real cruisers". Depending on what your video or audio podcast is about your target audience will defer.

Can someone educate me on the demographics of boat owners? How many people world wide own sail or power boats? What percentage of owners speak english? What percentage are casual owners (weekend or coastal cruisers) versus long term live aboards and blue ocean cruisers?

I would imagine that there are more casual owners than live aboard. Plus how many others don't own but share the interest. I would imagine that the casual owners and those who share the interest far outnumber the live aboard ocean cruisers (who may have a tight budget). that should be your target audience. They will also have a higher disposable income and be more tech savvy.

Currently podcasting costs are very low. bandwidth is reasonably cheap unless you become a star and thousands start to subscribe. While podcasting today may be supported through advertsing, paid subscriptions will also become the norm as the media matures.
Old 07-01-2006, 18:32   #75
Kai Nui

Quote:
Redbull addict once whispered in the wind:

Can someone educate me on the demographics of boat owners? How many people world wide own sail or power boats? What percentage of owners speak english? What percentage are casual owners (weekend or coastal cruisers) versus long term live aboards and blue ocean cruisers?
1) LOTS
2)MOST
3)More than would like to admit it vs a few that have managed to cut the lines.
Podcasting is in the forefront of pop technology right now, and it does have potential for a boat based business. People are making money at it. The more I think about it, the more appealing the idea becomes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: