Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-07-2009, 10:04   #226

Boat: Westerly Oceandream, 35-feet
It doesn't Take Much

I just read this entire thread starting in 2005. My wife and I were cruisers from 1975 till 1984. We started on a 22-foot Westerly in Chicago. With one month of experience and $300, we set headed down river to New Orleans looking for warmer weather. We arrive just before Thanksgiving and had no problems finding temporary jobs. After 3 weeks sailed to Florida. We worked in Key West for 6 months before moving on to the Bahamas.

Although I did not work in the Bahamas, I did get job offers. My talent was fixing things. Almost anywhere you go you will find people with things - usually broken things. In the Bahamas someone asked if I could fix cars. I said yes, he asked if I would like to stay and fix cars for him. I asked if he owned a garage and he replied "No, but I will start one if you will work for me".

I worked a couple of small jobs in Haiti, and started a business in Puerto Rico. In St Croix, my wife worked half-time at a coffee shop while I had full time jobs, first fixing airplanes, then as a technician at the navy's underwater tracking range. We lived on what she made and used my pay to buy a 36-foot Cal.

We had plenty of time for sailing on weekends and month long vacations. It was not retirement but we were not looking for retirement. We were 25 when we started. We want adventure and not having a lot of money in the bank made it much more fun.

Once we left the US we never had trouble finding work - under the table in some ports - and we lived cheap enough that money usually was not a big issue.

So my advise is to just leave with what you have and not worry.

Rick

Old 01-07-2009, 10:15   #227

Boat: Islander 30
Thanks for taking the time to write that, Subtandard. That is sort of the motto I am going with. Taking the plunge to get out there is the biggest step. Everything else will work itself out.

Take care, and nice posts everyone. Very interesting and informative.

Old 02-07-2009, 14:12   #228
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongabound View Post
... Taking the plunge to get out there is the biggest step. Everything else will work itself out...
Most likely true, for someone who's made the effort to informs themself, as you've done.
Get yee gone, and report back as interesting things happen.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 14:28   #229

Boat: Gullfstar 50
The addage 'Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse' was one that I thought I should try. Now I am not young, not dead, and not so good looking. Where did I go wrong. All that abuse (physical and mental) that I thought was wise in my youth (you old hippies know what I am talking about has left me a bit worn around the edges. I agree with Kai Nui, a Viking funeral will do just fine when the time comes. Put me in the dinghy and set me adrift. OK, gotta go see the back doctor now. Where the heck did I leave that walker. :S
Old 02-07-2009, 14:31   #230

Boat: Gullfstar 50
Note to self...read entire thread and not just the first couple pages before your reply
Old 10-07-2009, 13:57   #231

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Not sure if this link has been posted before but Elance is a very useful place for writers/programmers and other freelancers to pick-up contract work.

Part of my income comes from writing reports and other manuals for NGO's, business associations and other SME's who cannot afford full time writing staff. Often the material is soul-destroying and probably only going to be read by a few dozen people.

But at the end of the day companies contractually have to release periodical reports and are ofter all to glad to pass the brain-death tasks to a third party.

Rhoel
Old 22-07-2009, 13:57   #232

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Make your living on the Web, through affiliate marketing. Need a good idea for a website, some web design skills, and intermittent access to the internet. Everything else is done online.

Travel and tropical vacations seem like a natural subject
Old 02-08-2009, 06:15   #233

Boat: 84 Pearson 27, Erickson 23, Penguin.
The advent of community based WiFi and satellite communications has made working aboard a breeze. I teach on line classes for a major university - while sitting in the galley of a Pearson 27.
Old 16-08-2009, 21:48   #234

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"
Online teaching sounds interesting. I'd like to hear from anyone who made it work while cruising. I was under the impression that online teaching required almost daily access to a good high speed internet connection. It would be easy enough to do along the US coast with an aircard, but it seems to me that once away from the US, access to good internet connections is not quite reliable enough especially if one plans on anchoring out rather than staying in marinas.

I understand that internet access is available all over the place, but unless I was planning on staying in one place for long periods of time, I don't see how I could count on 2 to 3 hours of internet access 5 to 6 days a week. It would work good if I was staying in, say, Marsh Harbor (where I hear there is wifi available out in the anchorage) for the entire time of the class, but if I wanted to keep moving every few days or even every few weeks, it seems to me that before too long I would run into a several-day gap in internet access.

A satellite internet connection would be perfect, but from what I understand it is way too expensive to make online teaching a practical alternative.

Someone please clue me in if I am off base here.
Old 18-08-2009, 04:20   #235

Boat: 84 Pearson 27, Erickson 23, Penguin.
Remember, with most on-line classes, the professor only enters the class on a periodic basis. The class is posted and self directed by the student. Like my classes, about all I do is grade submitted written assignments. All of my tests are automated. My contact with students is limited to occasional email. Depending on the class, contact with students can be from daily to once a semester. The key is in how the class is designed.

I am taking an online class myself, other than an apparent entry into the class to post grades about every two weeks, there is no contact with the professor. I can email him if need be. Tech support is supplied by the University.
Old 18-08-2009, 06:26   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
Make your living on the Web, through affiliate marketing. Need a good idea for a website, some web design skills, and intermittent access to the internet. Everything else is done online.

Travel and tropical vacations seem like a natural subject
Or join an existing site where you are welcome to post reasonable notices and make additions to your profile for the affiliate link buttons. I'm subscribed to a site like that for $10 a month. Later I'll get my own website better organised and linked too.
Old 08-07-2010, 14:18   #237

Cell Phones !!!!! Honestly... If you are heading South from the U.S. I'll say no more.. Better than carrying cash.
Old 08-07-2010, 15:22   #238

Hello, ever thought of giving cards a try kind of like Kevin Spacey style. Lots of time to learn during the voyage and a lot of information out there to choose from. Depending on how good you are with numbers and how disciplined your concentration. Might just do very well.
Old 08-07-2010, 16:02   #239

Boat: Only a wishlist currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubW View Post
My contact with students is limited to occasional email... contact with students can be from daily to once a semester.
That explains why I've had such a hard time getting a response from a couple of my past instructors while taking online classes. Also goes to explain why I left such poor feedback on their performance as instructors and interaction with the class.

One such class was limited to two email messages to the class (one at the start and one at the end). Both were clearly recycled from class to class (hadn't even taken time to update with current class #).

Oh well; that's the way to go if ya get paid for it I guess.
Old 17-07-2010, 14:04   #240
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How do you get into online education, though? It sounds like a great idea... Oh, I mean as a tutor - I've done enough interactive courses that I could probably make my own...

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: