Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2007, 13:18   #211

[quote=Tspringer;98410]Hmmmmmm

I am a mortgage broker and have been in the business for 16 years. I have over 800 prior clients in my database that I market to via newsletters and other mail stuff. I generally close 2-3 loans per month from my database. I also close another 6-10 loan per month from other marketing but when we go cruising I do not plan to maintain that.

Thats what I was thinking. I am a broker in Mobile, Al. Also, no one has mentioned music. I could earn a few dollars singing at a club near the marina. Jimmy Buffet seemed to make it pay off !
hatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 18:42   #212

Boat: Cal 36
I've found that over the years I've made more money by accident buying and selling boats than I did at most of the jobs that I've had. Once or twice a year I come upon that once in a lifetime deal, buy it, do whatever work needs to be done, start daydreaming about some other kind of boat, find another great deal, sell the last one... and so on.

I've never done this in other countries but I don't see why it wouldn't work at least in the more affluent ports.

Hi everybody. My name is Kevin..and I am a boataholic
Captkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 17:58   #213

FISH!!!
I use to work in the Solomon's, Fiji. and PNG collecting fish and inverts for the salt water fish trade. The money was not so good as a employee but I had a great time, but I do know what the fish go for back in the states, lol. My employer was making some nice money. I have made arrangments with 3 pet stores in three different areas to collect for them while I am sailing the islands, the trick is to find people trust worthy in the islands I get to to act as a front and sort out the CITES permits for export for a nice juicy cut. With a bit of luck should keep the kitty topped off once in a while.

-Wantokex
Old 06-07-2008, 05:06   #214

Boat: Hunter, hydro,28ft -FranBri
Send a message via Skype™ to frankdeegan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAbernethy View Post
I plan to make some spare change while cruising with my laptop and a sat Internet connection (or perhaps the Internet local café/library). You really can do a huge amount of things for profit on a laptop. Writing text and code come to mind. Not everyone is a programmer of course. On the other hand, there are always documentation tasks that need to be done. Manuals for a small company’s electronics or a new software application, etc can easily be managed abroad. I have written manuals and books for products that I could have easily covered from a boat. In fact I might have completed on a shorter timeline without the interruptions. The advent of email and sat/cel phone service creates a tremendous ability to stay connected with home base (perhaps more than you’d like). Worried about the expense of the comm. Stuff? Have the firm you’re working with pay for it. It is amazingly easy to negotiate expense pickups with companies compared to increased income.

The information industry in general offers a multitude of opportunities for the live aboard denizen. The information industry is not only the fastest growing macro sector but it is also one of the more lucrative. The best thing about the information industry is that the products are intangibles that can be shipped home through the airwaves from wherever you are. The list of things that you can do for profit on a laptop is endless. How about a for profit web site selling something you know a lot about online with the vendors drop shipping to your clients. Internet publishing and broadcasting payroll topped $2 trillion in 2002. You might check out the US business census data for some more ideas:

2002 Economic Census: Industry Series progress report
I have written manuals and books for products that I could have easily covered from a boat.

Hi Randy,
where can I pick up information about producing manuals as I have never read one always learning as I go. dicecting the product.

Frank
frankdeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 15:46   #215

Writer's Guidelines for Latitude 38

Dear Sailing Wordsmiths,

The URL for our Writer's Guidelines has changed ever so slightly since it was listed here on 11-12-2006 by GordMay. Here's the correct link: Latitude 38 Writer's Guidelines

We look forward to hearing from you!
Latitude38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 15:55   #216
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Thanks for the update. We enjoy your magazine!
Old 30-04-2009, 05:21   #217

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Nice mag, but not a destination for a professional writer.

Unless I'm mis-reading, they pay $125 for 1,500 to 2,500 words ("slightly higher if we really like them"), which is pretty low -- five to eight cents a words.

Mind you, I don't really know the boating mag market ... maybe it's standard. In the world of consumer mags, however, the rates tend to be around $1/word and even newspapers pay about $0.30/word. (I recently wrote a sailing piece for the Toronto Star -- $300 for 1,000 words.)

As a weekend sailor and a weekday wordsmith (it's actually the name of my company), I wouldn't consider working for those rates.

Not to criticize anyone who does, mind you.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 09:49   #218
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
... Unless I'm mis-reading, they pay $125 for 1,500 to 2,500 words ("slightly higher if we really like them"), which is pretty low -- five to eight cents a word ...
Good Old Boat magazine, for instance, pays about triple that rate.

See the GOB Writers Guidelines › Payments For Submissions

Good Old Boat - Payments For Submissions

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 19:22   #219

Some more ideas !!!

1. When my family and I took a “discovery” cruise through the Caribbean, the cruise lines pre-arranged “day excursions”. You could tour the city, paddle a kayak etc. You could also, charter a local sailboat to take you snorkeling or fishing, w/ lunch etc…. Not sure what cruise ships actually pay the locals for there boats and services???

2. Read a story about a couple of guys that bought, sold, and distributed chocolate bars, around the islands.

3. I plan on having a few rental properties in Florida. Being rented out through a property management company, and sending me a measly paycheck for doing nothing sounds pretty good.

4. One plan is to make hammocks while sailing, and selling them upon arrival to port.

5. Purchase, and send to the states for resale, local art, trinkets ... (import store in the states)

6. Last resort, you could always dive and sell conch shells !!!

7. (Lastly, lastly smuggling bibles and other contraband to Cuba)
denniswbaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 19:24   #220

Still Looking

Looking for practical ways, and stories, to make money either with your actual boat, or ways to make money while on sail??? (My family of 5 are brainstorming on how to get on a boat and survive, financially, for an extended working/vacation) Looking forward to some great stories, and thanks in advance for everyone’s input!!!

Sincerely,
Dennis, Misty
Zen 5, Nirvana 3, Baby Bliss 1 !!!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:39   #221
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"6. Last resort, you could always dive and sell conch shells !!! "
Fast way for a gringo to get arrested in many parts of the world. Taking any local marine life--especially conches--is often totally forbidden for non-residents.

Of course, you could also hold those Wealth Building Seminars! Learn How To Earn Millions In Bad Times! and make good money selling the extra course materials. That's been working for some folks for 30-40 years now, but I don't think anyone has put together a special course for cruisers. Yet.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37   #222

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswbaber View Post
Looking for practical ways, and stories, to make money either with your actual boat, or ways to make money while on sail??? (My family of 5 are brainstorming on how to get on a boat and survive, financially, for an extended working/vacation) Looking forward to some great stories, and thanks in advance for everyone’s input!!!

Sincerely,
Dennis, Misty
Zen 5, Nirvana 3, Baby Bliss 1 !!!
If I had the answer to that I'd be out sailing the moment instead of writing this from behind my desk.

I will comment that I think writing about sailing has very little potential to accomplish this. I've seen a few articles written by some of the most prolific sailing authors and they all say that their publishing income is a best a nice supplement, but in no way provides adequate funding to cruise on. Consider the Pardeys for example who have written several books, more articles than I can count, but even with a basic lifestyle, still did conferences, boat deliveries and other odd jobs to make ends meet.

I think some computer based jobs might offer opportunities. If it's something one can do as a stay at home office employee, you may be able to do it from a boat office. Graphic design work is one example. I had a girlfriend who graded nationalized tests online from her home. She stated she could be doing that from anywhere in the world.(with a connection) I personally know just enough about computers to get myself into serious trouble, so it's not an option for me.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 14:34   #223

Option # 8 "Elance"

I've used this online company for marketing, research informtaion, and sales stats etc.

But if you had a technical writing skill, it might be useful to sell your skills here.

Elance | Hire Experts. Outsource Work. Pay For Results
Old 26-06-2009, 09:25   #224

Rules keep us alert and creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
So true...As our prepare for 5 and leave for 5 turned into prepare for 6 and leave for a month.....

Does anyone have any experience with a paper business in foreign ports? For example, the software designer you mentioned, does anyone know if the officials in places like Australia would dig deep enough to know you were designing software while anchored, and if so would they take steps to limit your visit?
Every country has its own rules, but; if you develop software while in Australian waters: selling it in a country other than Australia, there might be few problems. To sell in Australia one may have to leave, first; then complete the sale from Fiji or from the deep seas using a home port address. Some places sell charter license operations to foreign flag yachts. Fiji seems to be one that costs $Fiji1M according to a recent Wharram cat for sale ad.

Quite different sets of rules for each pair of country being visited / flag of visitor. Keeps us on our toes... Writers, artists and photographers could have a recognised position: immune for most problems while in civilized countries; the definition of which changes at short notice with history and politics.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 10:18   #225

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
As I am cruising and working at the moment, have been out just on 7 years. these are my 0.02. there are very few people who can pay for all their cruising by a boat based business, I do know a couple who make jewellry, and they sell mostly to other yachties. most of the boats "out there" sail for a while and then stop for a while to work, when they have enough they sail for a while. THe key, as someone said is not the earning power, but frugality. I notice most of this forums' members are US citizens, and they MIGHT have a little more of a problem finding work outside the US than others. BUT, if one has the right skillset and an employer wants to hire you, they will find a way. I have all the usual cruisier skills, so-so mechanic, a bit of glass work, a bit of rigging etc etc, but am also a chef. Have never had any problem finding work. The real key is to make ones' self personable and open and friendly to any offers. If one is going to work to sail in order to fund the cruise, learn to live on very little, the HIll's book " voyaging on a small income" is invaluable. And finally, never never never arrive is a strange country flat broke, always give yourself a few months stash
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote