Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2007, 19:15   #196

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
I actually can't drink comercial brand's of rum, gin etc anymore as it now makes me sick and gives me a shocking hangover.

We make about 20 litres a month and can't keep up with request's for our stuff from mates for this same reason.

Dave
Old 16-01-2007, 19:52   #197

Boat based business

Thank you Dave.

The only problem that I find with making your own alcohol is that myself and my partner drink far to much of it. I ran out last week and had to wait for a new brew to ferment, so I went and bought a bottle of vodka at AUD$30 ouch.
I do find that the more you filter it (through the charcoal) the better it is.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:35   #198

I've read this thread thru and thru- and I certainly think there is merit in the suggestions...

Here's what I've been thinking as options...

1. Pilot/Flight Instructor- obviously need a private pilots license (PPL), certified flight instructor (CFI)- to get commercial gigs you need airline transport certificate (ATP), most likely Instrument Flight Rating (IFR), Multi Engine Rating- and some flight time. If planning ahead this could be secured in a few years of part time work for the Instructor rating atleast. This is a $$ process is you are starting from zero. But the job opportunities can be plentiful, but not necessarily pay outstanding.

2. Six Pack, Sailing Instructor- this requires time on the water and access to a boat. You're way ahead of the game if you already have a boat or boating experience. The pay can be low though.

3. Mechanical Experience- diesel repair and/or airplane engine repair. A technical college or trade school can prepare a certificate in a years worth of evening classes. Aviation maintenance pays pretty good and you're not upside down in the bilge. A work program can take 2 years to complete.

4. Construction management- Development is everywhere. A jobsite superintending job, project manager, or an being an assistant can bring in good money for the duration of a project. More applicable to US locales. Certified Construction manager programs are available at technical trade schools and can be obtained in less than 24 months of nights/evenings.

5. Teaching English as a second language- the certification doesn't appear to be hard to get or take a long time. Still looking into this avenue.

6. Finance- a masters in finance, financial planning, accounting, banking, stocks, investments, etc... there's always a need for financial knowledge. This one may be nice because it would you to better plan you're own finances and investments. Two years of nights and evenings gets you a masters in finance.

7. Get a EU passport. Last time I looked, you could apply for an Irish passport in 5 years. 4 years you needed a physical address, but the 5th year had to be spent in country. This opens up lots of employment opportunity around the world.

If you are in the planning stages now, with some dedication, you can receive multiple certifications that have value throughout the world.
Several of these will help you understand better how to maintain your boat as well.
Old 29-08-2007, 05:18   #199
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The less you know the more money you make:
Proof:
We know that
a) Time is Money
b) Knowledge is Power
and from Physics
c) Power = Work ÷ Time
By simple substitution:
Knowledge = Work ÷ Money
Knowledge x Money = Work
Money = Work ÷ Knowledge

It follows that as knowledge goes to 0, money goes to infinity.

In which case, I should be very wealthy - FILTHY RICH!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 05:42   #200

hahahaha..

I have a great business plan for a marine based business all written up. The numbers have to be adjusted to 2002, but interested parties can contact me.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 08:16   #201

If you can sew, carry along a Sailrite Sewing machine. Can you dive, carry along your scuba/hooka equipment. You get the idea. Take your tools and your skills as you travel. As more and more folks take to crusing, less and less are capable of much in way of repair/maintenance. Some do have large bank accounts and that's where the handy come in. Hell, I've read on this and other forums of folks off cruising that couldn't bleed their fuel system if you put a gun to their head. Change zincs under water? Clean a hull underwater? Retrieve a lost anchor? Go aloft and fix that nav light? Splice three strand and braid?
I'd highly reccommend that you offically work for barter and keep the exchange of money for work way under the table.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 08:23   #202

Randy,

That sort of handy man work may come in useful, but most crusiers are pretty resourceful at doing their own repairs. I don't think you could rely on it for a steady income except in a very busy location where you were able to spread the word effectively.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 09:28   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef
Randy,

That sort of handy man work may come in useful, but most crusiers are pretty resourceful at doing their own repairs. I don't think you could rely on it for a steady income except in a very busy location where you were able to spread the word effectively.

jef
sv shiva
Yes, it's not for a steady income. That would be so counter to MY theory of cruising I won't even go there.
I agree that at THIS time most cruisers are pretty handy. BUT, how many are too fat/lazy to to up the stick? Can't/don't want to dive in a harbor? I believe that the future will bring an increase in wealthy cruisers that just don't want to mess with this stuff. And I plan to cruise cheap and simple. That in and of it's self reduces the need to make money.

And as someone else mentioned and I agree 100%. The best way to ruin sailing for me is to turn it into a business.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 10:05   #204
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord-
"It follows that as knowledge goes to 0, money goes to infinity.
In which case, I should be very wealthy - FILTHY RICH!"

Following your own logic--you ARE filthy rich, and just too dumb to know it. < VBG >
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 10:05   #205
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord-
"It follows that as knowledge goes to 0, money goes to infinity.
In which case, I should be very wealthy - FILTHY RICH!"

Following your own logic--you ARE filthy rich, but know that your knowledge has approached zero, just too dumb to know it. < VBG >
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 10:40   #206
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Gord-Following your own logic--you ARE filthy rich, but know that your knowledge has approached zero, just too dumb to know it. < VBG >

It is one of the essential features of incompetence, that the person so afflicted, is incapable of knowing that he is incompetent.
Paradoxically, improving one’s competence , and thus increasing our reasoning skills, helps us recognize that very competence.
The more I learn, the more ignorant I realise I am.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 12:51   #207

Hmmmmmm

My family of 4 is planning on an extended cruise starting in early 2011 when the kids will be 12 and 8. I HOPE to work from the boat and at least cover most of the expenses, at least during the first couple of years.

I am a mortgage broker and have been in the business for 16 years. I have over 800 prior clients in my database that I market to via newsletters and other mail stuff. I generally close 2-3 loans per month from my database. I also close another 6-10 loan per month from other marketing but when we go cruising I do not plan to maintain that.

The amount of work required to close 2-3 loans per month from database marketing is not huge. I would also hope to pick up some business from other cruisers or future cruisers from our website which we plan to really do up... logs, pics, videos....

Anyhow, as long as I have a phone and internet connection I can do business just as if in the office. I currently work from my basement and 90% of my clients would never guess my company does not have a huge office somewhere. All my employees work from home offices.

So between cellular service, wifi, cellular broadband, satellite phone ... etc.... I hope to be able to work enough to close my 2 or so loans per month at least while we cruise the east coast and upper caribbean which will encompass the first 2 years or so of our plans. I generally would clear about $2500 from 2 closed loans so hopefully that would cover most of our expenses though we do plan on having enough funds in savings regardless.

Given the pace of technological advancement in wireless broadband I also hope to be able to stay "connected" at even more remote locations as time goes by.

Tell me this:

How many of you out there who do still own a home or who may be purchasing a home would look at throwing your mortgage biz to a broker living the cruising dream and working from his boat? Take it a a given that the rates and cost and such would be as good or better than what you would find elsewhere.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 14:02   #208

Boat: Gulfstar 36 Antares
Workin n cruzin

30 years ago I got $5 for a good palm frond hat in the VI. Back then You could get a bottle of rum for a buck and a plate of peas and rice for half that. Fixin a small outboard can get you fed for a week! If you can lay a good coat of varnish you can always get a few bar bucks. Live gently and you will be happy.
Old 29-08-2007, 16:25   #209

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydivemaster
I am a Photographer. I can set up shoots to fit any lifestyle changes I have. My Girlfriend is a nurse which means she shows up somewhere and is hired on her terms. Cruising and spending time on the hook is cheap. I cruised a very small nordica 20 from May of 1998 until June of 2000. i used the internet to line up jobs to keep my camera working which in turn put food on my table.

Keith
What sort of nurse?
What were her "terms" (usually).
I have a friend that is a RN and that is what he wants to do and it all seems perfectly reasonable (except for the dock to work transportation issue for some places).
Except he has a wife and a house and it seems she wants to stay in it so the grandkids etc can come over for Thanksgiving and Christmas etc.
My wife is the same way.

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 20:25   #210
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Nit picking

I believe that c) should be:
Power = Work X Time
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote