Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-12-2006, 17:07   #181
Kai Nui

Steve, I have made a few dollars in the local fishing harbor clearing nets from the wheels of the fishing boats. Not gonna cruise on that income, but it will buy a few drinks at the bar.
As for funding your escape by writing, I think most of us have considered that option. True, most who try, do not do well with this endeavor, however, with the advent of desktop publishing, and all of the simple methods of getting your work out there without a publisher being involved, My guess is allot more people are doing short run self publishing of their own work. Can anyone relate any experience on this? Any issues with selling your work to other cruisers while you are outside your country?

Old 11-12-2006, 04:11   #182
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As Connemara earlier indicated, writing won’t pay very well for many of us (because we’re not that good).
As of a few moments ago, the CruisersForum has 53,141 Posts. How many of them would you pay for?

Due to small reading audiences, general publishers have little interest in boating books, so you might have more success writing for a more general market.

Notwithstanding, many of us are expert and/or experienced in some aspect of the sailing/boating/cruising domain, and we certainly have those interests.

Goto any of the boating & cruising magazines, and check out their writers’ guidelines.
ie:

Good Old Boat: Writers' Guidelines

Cruising World and Sailing World, Writers' Guidelines

Nautical Books, Nautical Software, Sailing Guides & More at Seaworthy Nautical Store

Writers Guidelines* All manuscripts should by typed

Writers and Photographers Guidelines

Writers Info : Latitudes & Attitudes Magazine

Carriacou Regatta

Small Craft Advisor - Sailing and Mini-Cruiser Magazine - Small Boats and Pocket Cruisers

Southwinds Sailing - Serving the Southern Cruising & Racing Sailor since 1993

Sport Fishing - GUIDELINES & SUGGESTIONS FOR CONTRIBUTORS TO SPORT FISHING

Wanderlust guidelines for travel writers

Yachting Monthly: contributor notes

Latitude 38 Writer's Guidelines

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 14:13   #183
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I think the answer to this one is simple. Look to the wisdom of the ages...

fishing

trading

piracy.

You could also become an explorer in the service of her majesty, but last I checked things are arguably pretty well mapped out.

I had some friends that worked mapping out GPS units but I think that work dried up to.
Old 17-12-2006, 18:50   #184
cruiser

Boat: Searching for a Cape Dory 28 or 30
Send a message via AIM to kydivemaster Send a message via Yahoo to kydivemaster
I am a Photographer. I can set up shoots to fit any lifestyle changes I have. My Girlfriend is a nurse which means she shows up somewhere and is hired on her terms. Cruising and spending time on the hook is cheap. I cruised a very small nordica 20 from May of 1998 until June of 2000. i used the internet to line up jobs to keep my camera working which in turn put food on my table.

Keith
Old 17-12-2006, 18:55   #185
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Keith, do you find it is a problem lining up work permits? Or do you remain in the US as a US national so that's no issue for your situation? Ditto the nursing, I would have thought permits and certifications were a problem for working across borders from one's home nation?
Old 17-12-2006, 19:01   #186
cruiser

Boat: Searching for a Cape Dory 28 or 30
Send a message via AIM to kydivemaster Send a message via Yahoo to kydivemaster
As for photography i have had one or two issues but I find in the third world your clients are normaly high enough up the list that heads are turned the other way. As for my girlfriend she can work anywhere in the world a RN in the states is excepted into all other countries with little to no paperwork beyond a request to be employed and verifacation of her merits.

Keith
Old 15-01-2007, 20:57   #187

Boat: 1975 Cobalt 18
Let's talk about a trade for a moment. I would like everyones feedback who may have had an issue/experience with air conditioning. I currently have my EPA cert. and I am studying for my HVAC license. Here is the deal, I would legally only be able to work on a unit that is in texas. I am not sure if there are any further requirments for marine a/c but I have to assume there are. I guess that alot of this could be done under the table but the penalty if busted is pretty high. As long as the person whos a/c is getting fixed pays in cash I guess there is no record of the deal. Also, lets say your cruising down in mexico. Do you advertise on the VHF net and let the other cruisers know your there? After fixing their unit do you tell them the charge or wait for them to offer cash. Just a few questions I have. I would like to make a little cash outside of the states but the l would like to stay out of trouble as well. Comments welcome

Zeus
Old 16-01-2007, 02:03   #188
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Zeus:
Public advertising (vhf, etc), even to other cruisers, will always be a dangerously ticklish matter in foreign waters.
The Mexicans, for instance, will be just as jealous of their own National interests, as are you & I of ours.
I’ve never been comfortable in the role of “wetback” (illegal alien).; and cannot recommend the practice as a pleasurable adjunct to the cruising lifestyle.
Sailors sometimes get a bad reputation as “cheapskates”, who contribute little or nothing to a local economy. How much more deserved, when we actually subvert the local economy, by diverting income from locals?
Notwithstanding, there will be many anchorages where you’re AC/R experience will be highly valued. I only suggest that you keep your activities as discrete as possible.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 11:30   #189
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As Gord says, discrete.

Your EPA license is valid only in the USA. Your state license is only good--or needed--in your own state, unless other states recognize or require it. And every one of them will vary.

"After fixing their unit do you tell them the charge " If you don't tell someone beforehand that you will be wanting money, and you don't tell them how much money you will be demanding, you're not going to get paid all the time. So be discrete about what you do, but be totally up front about "this is gona cost you...OK?" before you do anything.

If you are sailing with tanks of refrigerant gasses, that might be contraband in some countries and might get your boat seized. Check out the laws before you make entry in any country. In the US I don't think mere "possession" is any crime, even for the "banned" gasses. Beyond that...who knows?
Old 16-01-2007, 15:35   #190

Boat: 1981 C&C 34
It's not too hard to set up a full video production facility on a laptop. One or two folks with suitable ambition could probably do a pretty full suite of travel videos they could sell online.

We've started with Sailing America - Sailing the Strait of Juan de Fuca and have a pretty good template set up so far. It includes Google ads, sales on FilmBaby.com, trailers on Revver and YouTube, and various ads on relevant websites.

What we've done so far is not exactly exotic though we're learning and I imagine someone really cruising full-time could do some pretty interesting video.

Market? I don't know. I'm primarily a musician and I can say that the market to sell my music online through CDBaby, iTunes, and my own website (John Williams) has been surprisingly good. As it is now it would only support a very meager cruising budget but I'm also not doing it full time.

A music production facility would be even easier to set up on a cruising boat.
Old 16-01-2007, 16:54   #191

Boat based business

What about selling alcohol to other cruising boats.
Here in Australia you can buy a still and make Alcohol, Vodka, by using sugar and yeast it cost about USD $1.00 a bottle. It is safe(because it is made from sugar) It must be filtered by using activated charcoal. The final result is bloody good stuff, no impurities and NO hangovers. Here in Australia the rule seems to be you can make it for yourself but do not sell it, but if your offshore?

Here in Australia you buy the flavourings to add to the alcohol to make Whisky, Bourbon, Gin or Rum.

I would not sell it to the locals (a sure way of getting into trouble) but fellow cruisers after a complimentary sample or two surely would buy a Flagon etc for 50% of the local price.
Old 16-01-2007, 17:42   #192

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
G'day Beau, as you may know we have one, and while it would be frowned on selling for cash, I have certainly traded for services and good's.

A bottle of rum = a bucket of prawn's off the back of the trawler.

A bottle of rum = use of a large airless spray outfit

A bottle of rum = getting both hull's sprayed with primer on the last cat.

Also traded a about 5 kg of excess spanish mackeral for a couple of carton's of beer and 20kg of ice at 1770.

Can't wait to see what it get's me off the Cray boat's or the Fridgie.

Dave
Old 16-01-2007, 19:09   #193

Boat: 1975 Cobalt 18
Yeah, I was afraid of (and expected) the replies I got. Oh well, when your cruising who wants to work anyway. It was just a thought and a bad one it seems. It would probably be better just to help someone out and wait for the whole karma thing to play out. Thanks for the input.
Old 16-01-2007, 19:18   #194
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Beau-
"Here in Australia you can buy a still and make Alcohol, Vodka, by using sugar and yeast it cost about USD $1.00 a bottle. It is safe(because it is made from sugar) "
Not necessarily. Whether the booze will be safe after distillation will depend on the still. Whether someone else is going to be willing to try your homebrew hooch, that's something else again.<G> Add the sugar and the fuel for the distillation, and I'm not sure you could beat the price of cheap booze in the store. At least, not given the price of sugar and fuel in some places. And that's ignoring whether local revenuers won't come after you when they see the still.

Although, I wouldn't mind running fresh water down to Bermuda (no natural water sources) and making the return trip with rum.<G>
Old 16-01-2007, 19:46   #195

boat based business

Hello Sailor.
Alcohol made from sugar is SAFE.
see HomeDistillers.org | Home Distillers | Beer Brewing | Homebrew Beer Supply | Home Beer Making Kits
It has NOTHING to do with the type of still.
There are NO TOXINS in fermented sugar and water.
Sure we take off the first 100ml or so but that is because it has Fusil oils in it which taste a bit like diesel.
We filter with actived charcoal to soften the taste and remove the "firewater" taste.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: