Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 19:15   #136

Boat: Sceptre 41
Captain K:

You'd be surprised how little money you need as a down in order to do it. There are all kinds of companies out there that will sell you a house package including everything you need to build a house except the cement for as little as ten percent down. BTW it sounds like alot of people are selling their houses to go cruising so I assumed that there must be a fair few land owners.

Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 19:38   #137

Well Charlie.

I don't know about the housing market now days. Try not to get involved in it. Especially if they're all built to look the same, as the ones nextdoor to you. I hate that sh!t. Don't care about it!!

But, I find land property's more interesting. And I love land over a house anytime. Especially, if you're a landowner!!! :cubalibre

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:29   #138

Must agree with you on allhouses looking the same. Build them as fast as you can. Its easier to make them all the same the Corporate Goons who build these track homes are horrible (and rich). You's be shocked at what houses are selling for here in Nevada City Median Price is over $400k. Even the Ridge is getting expensive. We were lucky to buy when we did b/c I don't know how we would buy now.

Charlie
Old 05-04-2006, 08:53   #139

That's why the "Corporate Goons " will take the money from the "average Joe's & Jane's" in the real world.

The "Corporate Goons " can keep their chicken wired & spakeled piece of sh!t. It only suits as a dog house. Doesn't even qualify in my book as a house!!

I'll stick to land properties. More money in that avenue!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-04-2006, 18:13   #140

The ultimate boat based business.

I was jsut reading over my journal from my trip across the Pacific 20 years ago and came across an entry about a boat named Christopher Robin. Joel was the Captain and he had had an Optometry business. He made good money at it and donated half of his AGI to a foundation that was gave eye care to third world countries, Mexico, Marquesas, Tahiti, Fiji, Tonga Cook Ilands and a number of other countries like that. Part of his practice was collecting old eye glasses to donate to people in these countries. His research said that a good means of transportation to visit these isalnds was by sailing vessel. So he bought a Valliant 40. As it turned out the foundation hired him at some modest salary to visit these islands give people eye exams and distribute glasses. On top of that the foundation provided transportation to Joel by renting his yacht. I have no idea how much money he was paid and no idea how legal this was but I thought it was a lot better creative accounting then say --- Enron.

It was also a great way for Joel to meet the different cultures. He had a great experience with that.

Charlie
Old 08-04-2006, 23:26   #141
Kai Nui

I like it Wish I was an optometrist.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:48   #142
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Scott ... could you see your way clear to going cruising then?? I KNOW I KNOW... but, you know me. Just can't resist a terrible pun.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 16:37   #143
Kai Nui

:cubalibre
Old 09-04-2006, 17:52   #144

Yeah.

If he isn't too tied up with his job and other duties? :cubalibre

Old 09-04-2006, 18:12   #145
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
K?... Scott doesn't like to be restrained.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 18:17   #146

Tom.

Ask Scott, about him being restrained with his workload, recently?

Old 11-04-2006, 20:48   #147

One aspect that seems to be overlooked in this thread is that the US Flag is seen in many places where people sail. For example, the US Virgin Islands in the Caribe. You don't need to worry about a green card or equivalent. In the Pacific there are many areas, Guam, CNMI, most probably all of the Trust Territories where US Customs and Immigrations rule.

US military bases are all over the globe and I would believe that as long as you were conducting business with a US citizen that local governments would ignore you and all transactions could be conducted in US Dollars. If you are a military retiree your ID will probably get you thru the gate. Every base has a news paper where you could unobstrusively advertise. How about Tax Preparation? If you have good credentials, there are plenty of GI's that need accountants. If you do not have a military ID contact the Base or Navy Exchange (General Store). If you have CPA credentials, they will probably arrange for you to have a booth in the entrance and require you to pay a fee or percentage to sell your wares.
Old 11-04-2006, 21:41   #148

Every overseas flying club at military bases that I was associated had a shortage of qualifed flight instructors. I can imagine that bases on the oceans are short qualified sailing instructors at their sailing clubs. If at a base where families are assigned, tutering for SAT testing would be a skill probably not found locally if you have a Masters or PhD in Ed or some other useless discipline.

A US Military base can be a gold mine for any qualified skill (scam artist).

On the subject of "live aboards" in Hawaii, in the early 80s one of the officers that I knew lived aboard his sailboat at the Hickam AFB marina. Military bases are Federal property and are not governed or subject to state laws. He was always gracious enough to entertain the wives when we had a conference there. Hmmm, maybe thats how Lily got pregnant.
Old 12-04-2006, 16:21   #149

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Bringing our past professions with us?

I'm pretty sure there is a way for me to send large emails from pretty much anywhere in the world that is not HAM radio related, but I'm not sure what that is at the moment. Any thoughts.. typically 12-20 meg max size outgoing file. Only about 5 meg in raw data.....

If I can do that, I can take my land survey experience and a laptop and reduce the raw data from a field survey to a usable drawing for the office back here in the states. ~ 6-8 worth of work for a standard ~500 Lump sum fee is still cheaper than the cad crew in the office. I don't have to do to many of those a month to make enough money to pay for cruising.

The other thing I'm condsidering is taking my Professional Engineering License and seeing if I can use it in the local places if I need to stay for a short several month stint to make cash. With any luck I should also have my Professional Land Surveyor by the time I leave too.... I'll be a little peeved if I can turn both of those into some kind of income. Although both would require that I spend a few months at a single location unless I can work something out with the company I'm with now.
2divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 20:57   #150

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
Kai -- I had thia idea... maybe this was suggested already -- but how about massage therapist? Probably minimal training needed for several styles (shiatzu, swedesh, etc) -- and everywhere you would go, there would be wealthy cruisers willing to pay $50 a pop for a good massage -- if not the beat up sailors, then at least the "wifey" types whose backs might be stiff after a passage... You'd need a small massage table, oils, a decent stereo system -- and the boat. It is labour intensive, (and I can't stand touching people, but maybe I can get over that) and it would keep one fit somewhat.
hammerfelt is offline   Reply With Quote