Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 08:24   #1

Best way to get to cat in Bahamas

If we have our boat in the Abacos, Bahamas. Are all boats kept at this Marsh Harbor? Also which airport or airports do you fly into from US midwest at best price to get to this marina to get to out boat? thanks
nancypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:27   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Best way to get to cat in Bahamas

Perhaps I am misreading your question - you want us to tell you if your boat is in the Abacos and, if so, where your boat is located there? Also, you want us to guess where you are located and to search airfare prices for you?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:29   #3

Boat: Lord Nelson 35

Wow. lol
Steve Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you could tie 2 logs together,and have a rudimentary catamaran..............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:34   #5

I think she's just asking if they keep a boat in the Abacos, is Marsh Harbor the only spot and where is the airport to get there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:07   #6

That is exactly what I meant! Sorry for confusion. We are seriously thinking about getting a boat in the Mooring 5 year ownership plan. It would be located at Marsh Harbor/Abacos. Wondering if anyone else has boat at this marina and what is the slickest way to get to this marina? Which airport is closest to fly into from the states etc. We would like to know the answers to these type of questions before we purchase---we have lots of family and friends that would most likely be flying in and want to know what it all involves. Sorry if initial email sounded dumb. thanks,
nancypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:29   #7

Marsh Harbor is the third largest 'city' in the Bahamas. The only airport on Great Abaco is the MH airport. There used to be direct flights out of Ft Lauderdale. American Airlines had flights from Miami, the other airlines were BahamasAir and Silver if I recall. Not too expensive either maybe $300 or so RT.
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:30   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancypro View Post
That is exactly what I meant! Sorry for confusion. We are seriously thinking about getting a boat in the Mooring 5 year ownership plan. It would be located at Marsh Harbor/Abacos. Wondering if anyone else has boat at this marina and what is the slickest way to get to this marina? Which airport is closest to fly into from the states etc. We would like to know the answers to these type of questions before we purchase---we have lots of family and friends that would most likely be flying in and want to know what it all involves. Sorry if initial email sounded dumb. thanks,
no worries we are happy to help....though a couple of logs would work out way cheaper in the long run!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:36   #9

Like CaptRon said. There are direct flights to Marsh Harbour from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale (most seem to be from FLL).

No, not "all" boats in the Abacos are kept in Marsh Harbour. You will see boats pretty much all over. I'm pretty sure, however, that Marsh Harbour has the most/largest marinas in the area, and all of the charter boats that I know of operate from there.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:43   #10

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Just had a week-long charter out of Marsh Harbour. Great area.

There are flights from Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach that go straight into Marsh Harbour. The new airport should open up in a few weeks (Bahamas, so months...) and I would expect new airlines or destinations to offer flights into there.

The Marina where Moorings boats are is the same one we sailed from. Very nice, pool, showers, easy walk for provisioning. Owners get treated very well, from what I heard from one couple. A few good restaurants very near by.

A cat is a good option there, although you will be one of several. We had a 6' draft - didn't limit our options so much as drove our timeline, waiting for a rising tide. Only 'touched' once.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas