Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 10:45   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Alberg #0
Posts: 268
Re: Best investment while we travel

No one has mentioned cryptocurrencies. 1% into bitcoin would be good diversification into this new asset class with lots of upside. Just my .02 cents worth.
__________________

__________________
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:02   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 103
Re: Best investment while we travel

The amount of bad advice here is truly astounding.

Just some FYI, if you are a US resident with US based investments.

REITS are both traded (fairly safe but have limited gains <5%) and non traded (risky but can have a larger annual yield 6-10%)

Gold/Silver Precious Metals should NOT exceed 5% of your total diversified portfolio. Don't believe me. Just do a simple google search. Going heavy on precious metals is a tin foil hat investment advice that is often peddled on to seniors and conspiracy theorist that believe our 20 Trillion debt will bankrupt our country.

Annuities are high fees but do offer a protectionist position. There are some complex products that offer 5-8% guarantees, may be a suitable choice but make sure you understand them in detail before you sign anything. They are very complex financial products and can be a huge benefit or a portfolio killer.

Bonds have a inverse relationship with rising interest rates. If rates go up, bond values go down. Be very careful of bonds and especially bond funds while the Fed is currently in the process of raising rates.

Funds (mutual) are a huge field of investments both good and bad. I think only one person so far has recommended low fee index funds from companies like Vanguard. This should be the basis of your investment portfolio. Make sure the risk of bonds vs. equities meets you current risk profile.

Rental Property, this can be a huge benefit or a death nail. We have 2 retired couples on our dock that lost their shirt in 2007. One had over 150 rental properties, now they have none. I love when someone complains about fees with annuities and managed funds and recommends property. The fees and expenses you will experience with a rental property will absolutely exceed fees in a annuity or mutual fund. Both management, property tax and maintenance will be a huge liability. There can be a significant return depending on location and property profile. DO not go in with the idea that it is recession proof or a guarantee of income.

Lastly, do not "cash out" your current investment profile. First, meet with one or several certified CFP "fiduciary" financial planners and find out what they advise (this is often no cost or less than $1,000 for a personalized financial analysis and a planning strategy report. Then pick the one you feel most comfortable that defines the same objectives you are looking for.
__________________

__________________
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:32   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 16,564
Re: Best investment while we travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
No one has mentioned cryptocurrencies. 1% into bitcoin would be good diversification into this new asset class with lots of upside. Just my .02 cents worth.
A case of skin in the game perhaps?

Cryptocurriencies are likely the WORST investment around. You clearly know very little about Bitcoin.

This is a subject for another thread, in another forum.

Cryptocurriencies are vastly more risky than derivatives and should, under no circumstances, form a part of anybody's cruising/retirement money.

Cheers,
b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 13:29   #34
Registered User
 
buzzstar's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,042
Re: Best investment while we travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
No one has mentioned cryptocurrencies. 1% into bitcoin would be good diversification into this new asset class with lots of upside. Just my .02 cents worth.
Watch this one carefully. It is unclear if he/she even understands that the claimed input is not 2 cents, it is 2/10 of one cent.
__________________
Brian, sometimes called "Old California"
Still learning after all these years
buzzstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 13:38   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Alberg #0
Posts: 268
Re: Best investment while we travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You clearly know very little about Bitcoin.
An interesting assertion based upon a simple suggestion to put no more than 1% of assets in cryptocurrencies and untrue. I've been involved in various ways for several years and am considered very knowledgeable by most in the field. I have 35 years computer experience.

Do you have "skin in the game" by recommending US Dollar based investments because you have dollars?

I dare suggest you have some learning to do. I recommend The Age of Cryptocurrency: How Bitcoin and the Blockchain Are Challenging the Global Economic Order https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250081556..._btR9xbH3BCYRZ

The authors are Wall St journalists FYI.

Cheers, Paul.

P.S. why would you think bitcoin should not be included in a discussion on investment/finances?
__________________
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 13:55   #36
Registered User
 
DsquareD's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 52
Re: Best investment while we travel

Avoid advice from anyone who suggests that their recommendation is recession proof or "can't lose".

Real estate is extremely risky if you're not there to manage it. Good luck trying to sell your upside down property after tenants trash it. I have first hand experience with this. If you pay someone to manage it, there goes all the profits. If you are not already experienced in real estate, then this is probably the best way to lose your shirt.


Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
DsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 14:08   #37
Registered User

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cruising Indian Ocean / Red Sea - home is Zimbabwe
Boat: V45
Posts: 1,273
Re: Best investment while we travel

Odd, we receive a pretty good passive income from our property portfolio - and also have first hand experience. I would suggest that a single experience is not always typical? It about location, location and location.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DsquareD View Post
Avoid advice from anyone who suggests that their recommendation is recession proof or "can't lose".

Real estate is extremely risky if you're not there to manage it. Good luck trying to sell your upside down property after tenants trash it. I have first hand experience with this. If you pay someone to manage it, there goes all the profits. If you are not already experienced in real estate, then this is probably the best way to lose your shirt.


Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 14:24   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,422
Re: Best investment while we travel

There is no magic pill that will have low risk, high return and you don't have to pay attention to it.

Annuities can be many different things. While I wouldn't recommend it, a simple fixed annuity is fine if you are risk adverse and want some guaranteed income. BUT stay away from variable annuities, buy back guarantees and other add ons. That's when they start to go bad.

Don't become a landlord unless you are already experienced. It's a great way to lose money and keep your stress level high if you don't know what you are doing.

First question really should be where is your money now? Your average retiree has 20-30yrs to go, so a good chunk should be invested for long term returns as you can ride out a downturn with 2-5yr worth of money in lower return but less risky investments.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 14:25   #39
Registered User
 
DsquareD's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 52
Re: Best investment while we travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Odd, we receive a pretty good passive income from our property portfolio - and also have first hand experience. I would suggest that a single experience is not always typical? It about location, location and location.

It's not odd at all. I've made some and lost some. I certainly would not suggest it as a recession proof or can't lose investment to someone who has no experience in real estate.

With experience, good reliable managers, and a good amount of luck you certainly can make money. It sounds like it's working for you.

I've tried both residential and commercial. I thought I was recession proof until the recession vacated my commercial office building. I would not recommend it for someone who has no experience and is planning to be away and probably not within easy communication on a regular basis.


Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
DsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 15:58   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Oregon
Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Posts: 732
Re: Best investment while we travel

$500k is enough that you should make a good decision.

I recommend reading some books. John Bogle, William Bernstein, Benjamin Graham, and Burton Malkiel are all very good, respected authors with educated and mainstream views.

I was very lucky in work and was able to retire early. I decided that my retirement job is 'Investor', since that is now the way I make money. I read dozens of investing books for the first year, and I am so glad that I did. I started off completely uneducated and could have easily made a huge mistake. I know highly intelligent people who make awful choices with their money because they have never spent the time to learn, but are convinced they know what they are doing.
__________________
our blog
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 16:31   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Alberg #0
Posts: 268
Re: Best investment while we travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Watch this one carefully. It is unclear if he/she even understands that the claimed input is not 2 cents, it is 2/10 of one cent.
Ha! My bad. It does however raise the point that with bitcoin I could send 2/10ths of 1 US penny anywhere in the world instantly. It would still cost less than a penny with transaction fee included. Try that with paypal or western union :-)
__________________
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 17:42   #42
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 5,976
Re: Best investment while we travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
......................I read dozens of investing books for the first year, and I am so glad that I did. I started off completely uneducated and could have easily made a huge mistake. I know highly intelligent people who make awful choices with their money because they have never spent the time to learn, but are convinced they know what they are doing.
Good points.

Just like boat electrical systems!!!:sm ile:
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 19:00   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Huntington NY
Boat: Tartan 3000
Posts: 117
Re: Best investment while we travel

Whatever you decide, funds, annuity or other, see if it's available from Vanguard. Vanguard is the most reputable investment firm for the individual.
__________________
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 22:57   #44
Registered User

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cruising Indian Ocean / Red Sea - home is Zimbabwe
Boat: V45
Posts: 1,273
Re: Best investment while we travel

Dennis. As I said, it's very odd, but I also said it's location, location. You are talking about your own situation as a single perspective. If I invested in Zimbabwe then I would have made a huge mistake. Instead, I invested in SE England which is a pretty good place to invest and my profits continue to be reinvested there. It's actually pretty difficult to go wrong there with the property shortage. There are no restrictions to foreign ownership. I did my homework. It's not luck.



UOTE=DsquareD;2229164]It's not odd at all. I've made some and lost some. I certainly would not suggest it as a recession proof or can't lose investment to someone who has no experience in real estate.

With experience, good reliable managers, and a good amount of luck you certainly can make money. It sounds like it's working for you.

I've tried both residential and commercial. I thought I was recession proof until the recession vacated my commercial office building. I would not recommend it for someone who has no experience and is planning to be away and probably not within easy communication on a regular basis.


Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum[/QUOTE]
__________________
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:54   #45
Registered User
 
DsquareD's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 52
Re: Best investment while we travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Dennis. As I said, it's very odd, but I also said it's location, location. You are talking about your own situation as a single perspective. If I invested in Zimbabwe then I would have made a huge mistake. Instead, I invested in SE England which is a pretty good place to invest and my profits continue to be reinvested there. It's actually pretty difficult to go wrong there with the property shortage. There are no restrictions to foreign ownership. I did my homework. It's not luck.



UOTE=DsquareD;2229164]It's not odd at all. I've made some and lost some. I certainly would not suggest it as a recession proof or can't lose investment to someone who has no experience in real estate.

With experience, good reliable managers, and a good amount of luck you certainly can make money. It sounds like it's working for you.

I've tried both residential and commercial. I thought I was recession proof until the recession vacated my commercial office building. I would not recommend it for someone who has no experience and is planning to be away and probably not within easy communication on a regular basis.


Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
[/QUOTE]


You should write a "how to" for the rest of us then. I would have no clue where to begin with real estate in England.

The best I've done so far, since liquidating my real property, is an REIT called PSEC, which has been paying monthly dividends of 12% per annum. However, I don't recommend it, as I do not believe it is sustainable. I've already divested half of my holdings and will be selling the rest soon. At least it's liquid and I can get rid of it quickly.

I've frequently pondered how well I could live on a boat with just that one investment, but then I realize how dangerous it would be to put too much in one basket.


Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
DsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
men

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel nursing while cruising johnnybago Boat Ownership & Making a Living 20 18-08-2016 14:54
Travel costs while boat shopping? Foozinator Boat Ownership & Making a Living 15 11-03-2016 12:57
Travel journal, travel log, logbook app! Tobi_R Fishing, Recreation & Fun 2 27-09-2014 06:02
Investment knome Boat Ownership & Making a Living 29 18-02-2004 10:55


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.