Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 21:42   #1

Beginner Winter Cruising Advice

Hello all,

I have been a spectator of these forums for a short time and have picked up a great deal of knowledge. However, I would like to throw out my question/scenario to you guys in order to get some custom feedback. I thank you in advance for your contributions.

I'm a 20-something, single, adventurous guy who lives along the Lake Erie coast. I dread winters here and I'd much prefer to relocate to Charleston, SC (Beaufort/Edisto area), but my business and network keep me in the area. I believe the next best option is to buy a catamaran and sail during the harsh winter months to the Caribbean. I have the means to buy a vessel and to live aboard for 2 or so months I would be away.

I know I want a multihull, do you have any watercraft recommendations for someone who would be winging this solo? Any good used ones for under $50k?

Do you recommend any particular course (January-early March)?

There are sailing academies along Lake Erie, do you recommend me attending one?

Any other advice would be very helpful. Thanks!!!
jasonmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 22:25   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Beginner winter cruising advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmschmidt View Post
SNIP

Any good used ones for under $50k?

SNIP
No.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 22:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Beginner Winter Cruising Advice

Quote:
................... I believe the next best option is to buy a catamaran and sail during the harsh winter months to the Caribbean. I have the means to buy a vessel and to live aboard for 2 or so months I would be away. ...................
It might be a better choice to buy and sail "in" the Caribbean instead of buying and sailing "to" the Caribbean. In addition, island hopping among the Lesser Antilles would allow for a more suitable vessel available under 50K than making the hard beat to windward in order to arrive. Some do this and store the boat on the hard in Trinidad during the tropical storm season. "Knowing I want a multihull" comes with knowing you will spend about twice in purchase price. Be sure to investigate all the factors to this choice.
Old 08-05-2014, 19:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
It might be a better choice to buy and sail "in" the Caribbean instead of buying and sailing "to" the Caribbean. In addition, island hopping among the Lesser Antilles would allow for a more suitable vessel available under 50K than making the hard beat to windward in order to arrive. Some do this and store the boat on the hard in Trinidad during the tropical storm season. "Knowing I want a multihull" comes with knowing you will spend about twice in purchase price. Be sure to investigate all the factors to this choice.
Thanks for that advice. I appreciate it.

What price range should I be looking at for a good, used cat that would work for solo island hopper?
jasonmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:04   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
What price range should I be looking at for a good, used cat that would work for solo island hopper?
The variety of answers for this is enormous, but the market is wide open for your perusal when you "surf the net". Simply start by "google" for Caribbean used sailboats.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:30   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beginner Winter Cruising Advice

If you want a small cheap cat to keep 'down island' search for Iroquois and Catalac's... there's a few that side of the pond.. ignore the folk who think if its not 40+ foot its not a catamaran...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising