Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 19:51   #1

Bahamas - last stop engine maintenance

Question for the group: what are the last things you do to your engines before the trip to the far Bahamas?

We have twin Volvo MD2030's. we're looking to change the oil and fuel filters, transmission fluid, air filter, clean the heat exchangers, change the impellers, flush the coolant system, change the belts and check the through hulls. What else I am missing and what supplies would you take other than tools and extra filters.
Aderby810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:17   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Bahamas - last stop engine maintenance

It looks like you have it mostly covered.

Carry extra oil and filters for changes. Extra belts and hoses are a good idea. Start with clean fuel and tanks. Clean your water tanks, and fill with fresh water. Check the condition of your batteries, check fluid level if flooded batteries. Check cable connections are corrosion free.

Clean up your props. Not engine related, but....check the condition of your ground tackle (chain and shackle, snubber or bridle). If any maintenance can be done on your autopilot, do it.

Open your Explorer Charts and go enjoy.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:56   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Depending ohave a close look n how old the engine is or how long it has been since you've changed the coolant hoses you might want to have a close look at them or replace them, especially if it's fresh water cooled since those are higher pressure systems. At the very least you should carry spares of any complex molded hoses. Replacements can be hard to get in the Bahamas and some complex bend hoses cannot easily be replaced by flexible hose. You might consider carrying a thermostat and gaskets too.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 15:07   #4

Awesome ideas. Thanks for the contributions. The cooling system is a good idea... The boat has a freshwater system but I can't remember the last time those hoses were replaced. The batteries were another good suggestion. I was actually thinking about starting fresh just in case.

The solar controllers are on, so the batteries are topped off. Now I guess i just have to polish her and drop her back in.
Aderby810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:41   #5

One small tip, check/re-adjust your belt/s when you get over there, new belts have a tendency to stretch early in life. Have a great trip!
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:55   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Whatever wrench you need to bleed the injectors.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:12   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Also, replace anodes, if your engine requires them, and, if raw water cooled, a good time to remove salt buildup.

A
Old 06-11-2014, 18:15   #8

Boat: Manta 42

I also have a cat with 2 MD2030's. Nice thing about two engines, even if you have a problem with one, you could get by for the rest of the season on one engine. In the Bahamas you have to watch the cuts and weather for favorable winds, but an entire season one one engine is doable.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
kellymj is offline   Reply With Quote