Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2012, 07:32   #1

Auxiliary Electric Motors

Anyone look into an electric motor in lieu of diesel? There are several manufacturers that appear to turn out good quality motors that put out enough thrust to efficiently move a small to medium size boat. Medium, say up to around 37-39 feet.
Yes, they require bunches of expensive batteries but they alleviate the need for fuel tanks, through hulls for exhaust and water intake and they eliminate most of the daily maintenance rituals like checking water, oil, belts, racor filters and whatever else.
The cost is comparable, the advantages seem to outweigh the disadvantages - which as I see it, consists only of having to worry about generating charging for the batteries.
But to that end, most of the motors will allow for trickle charging as the props turn when underway under Sail. Meaning, with no motor running, the propulsion caused by propulsion by sail and wind, generates a trickle of charge back to the batteries.
Of course, wind generators panels are necessary.
No fuel tank and a smaller motor in place of the big noisy diesel leaves more room for storage, no oily smells, no worrying about fuel levels, etc.

Anyone have any experience that they would graciously share?
Old 13-02-2012, 07:50   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Auxiliary Electric Motors

This subject has been discussed at great length here and on other forums and is very interesting.
At present there is an active discussion here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-76555.html
Old 13-02-2012, 08:06   #3

Re: Auxiliary Electric Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
This subject has been discussed at great length here and on other forums and is very interesting.
At present there is an active discussion here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-76555.html
Thanks, James. I may just delete my thread or close it to stop the duplication.
Closed Thread

Tags
electric