Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2015, 00:32   #1

Boat: Hunter 44DS
Australian Registration

I am in the process of trying to take out Australian Registration of my 2003 Hunter 44DS, They have asked for a Builders certificate, which I have e-mailed of to Hunter in the hope that they can fill it in for me, but if they can't, they have asked me for a Statutory Declaration with a heap of questions. Most of them I have been able to find but I am bot sure of the following or were to find them, any help would be great,
Number of Bulkheads...Watertight and Non watertight?
Moulded depth of amidship???
This is the vertical distance measured (to two decimal places) from the top of the keel to the top of the freeboard deck beam at side amidships. (Amidships means the vertical plane situated at the middle of the length of the ship and at right angles to the centre line plane of the ship).
• In the case of a wooden ship or composite ship the top of the keel is the lower edge of the keel rabbet. What is a keel rabbet????????????
Tonnage length
The tonnage length of a ship is either
(a) a length equal to 96 per cent of the total length of the ship measured on a waterline that is at a distance, from the top of the keel, equal to 85 per cent of the least moulded depth of the ship?????????????????
Any help would be much appreciated
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 00:46   #2

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran
Re: Australian Registration

Bugger me I unfortunately will have to go through this next year.
There must be a sistership with this info , good luck

Sent from my SM-T315T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 01:31   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

I am not familiar with the design of your vessel but would guess that it probably has two bulkheads, one going into the V berth and one aft behind the companionway and neither are water tight ie they do not have a water tight door with seals.

The moulded depth on a yacht is the measurement from the top of the keel up to the coach roof. Measure it inside then add the coach roof thickness which you can estimate from the surround of the hatches.

The length is the length of the hull along the deck from the transom to the front end of the hull, do not include any bowsprit, it's only the length of the hull itself.

That's pretty well what I gave them for mine and it seemed to work out OK.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 04:33   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
.... What is a keel rabbet????????????
Any help would be much appreciated
Hard to explain in words but if you google "keel rabbet" and select images, it becomes pretty clear.
If it helps, on a wooden boat, it is usually considered to be at the bottom of the garboard plank!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 04:47   #5

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I don't recall having to give much more than moulded depth, LOA, and Beam when I did Snowpetrel 1 for Aussie rego. Not sure what game they are playing now? They certainly seems to make it hard, and so expensive. Time for a part B system like NZ and UK.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-09-2015, 15:15   #6

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Will they be coming onto your boat to check your measurements???

Regards,
Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 15:32   #7

No I am pretty sure they don't come aboard
Old 14-09-2015, 19:30   #8

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

I think you will find the form is geared more towards larger and commercial boats, and they won't insist on all the questions being answered in your case.

I suggest giving them a call to discuss. They are surprisingly helpful.
Old 14-09-2015, 20:12   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
No I am pretty sure they don't come aboard
I don't know what the current requirements are but in the past, after the first forms were submitted, they sent you are "marking note" or some such. The measurements on this note had to be verified by "appropriate person" and there were a list of professions that was considered "appropriate" such as marine surveyors, shipwrights, royal club commodores and the like.

In essence these "appropriate persons" certified that the measurements given were correct.

In my case, they were a little rubbery but whoever signed the certification never left his office although he could see the boat in the marina maybe 100 metres distant .

They also verified the name and number were correctly sized and so on.

Maybe it's different these days
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 23:14   #10

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

In my case, for my previous boat about 10 years ago, it did not have a HIN. So I engaged someone (probably from an AMSA approved list). He came on board and I helped by holding one end of the tape.

I was still eyeballing where to position the tape over the reverse transom, with the end at least a metrre and a half above the measuring point, when he called out "Done!". The length he came up with was about 10cm over but he would not agree to do it again and take the measurement accurately so that became the official length.

He affixed a small metal identification plate to the transom and another in a hidden place inside. There was no second inspection.

I recall having the same difficulty as Akapeterc with some of the questions in the registration request, and being advised by AMSA that there were some I could leave blank. Hence my post above about talking to them.
Old 15-09-2015, 00:22   #11

Thanks

Tags
Australia, registration