Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 22:23   #16

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: australian buying a boat in EU and registering in langkawi

Just remember everyone especially the OP that registration country and requirement to import are two unrelated things. If you bring a boat into the country of your residence, or for a period exceeding the time allotted to visitors into any other country (except it seems Langkawi/Malaysia and perhaps some others like it), then you will be required to import it and pay any GST/VAT and custom’s duty owing. The country of registration doesn’t matter.

But wow, that rule about Australians having to register their boat only in Australia seems really harsh. And how could they ever police that if the boat never comes to Australia? Perhaps it’s time to invest in a different citizenship?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 22:36   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
But wow, that rule about Australians having to register their boat only in Australia seems really harsh. And how could they ever police that if the boat never comes to Australia? Perhaps it’s time to invest in a different citizenship?
No specific knowledge, but I bet this rule is an artifact of rules for commercial vessels sliding over into recreational vessel rules, with no particular reason for so doing. We've seen this sort of thing in several countries we've cleared into, where yachts are treated under the same regs as tankers, etc. Can be a nuisance eg, needing a de-ratting certificate or a liist of supernumeraries on board.

Hard to understand the existence otherwise...

Jim
Old 11-02-2018, 10:28   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Been down this path a few times. As an Australian Citizen (I presume you are) you are obliged to register the boat as an Australian Boat. You commit an offence if you dont. This has NO impact on GST. GST is only payable on entry to Australia. As an Australian Citizen its payable on entry - no way around it.

Below is an excerpt from a previous thread on this matter: BTW I am not the john in the email, that was another member. And when AMSA mention the thread they are specifically talking about a thread on this forum where some stated quite strongly that the law didnt apply to them

Hi Factor,

Please read and understand the laws and you can surf -
https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...egister-vessel

Clearly stated that Australian owned ships are required to be registered on the Australian general shipping register if it is one of the following:

a commercial vessel, 24 metres or over in tonnage length, capable of navigating the high seas
any vessel travelling overseas.
The following vessels are exempt from the requirement to be registered (except if they are travelling overseas):

pleasure craft
fishing vessels
government vessels.

Regrads.
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:39   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
Thanks Factor,

Yes I am an Australian citizen. Seems there is a bit involved.

If it is australian registered do i need to pay vat to sail through eu or remove it from eu?

A boat that has VAT not paid I assume I will need to add that to the price?
Hi! Moonos,

Please surf, read and understand the laws and don't listen to those liar and bullshitting. https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...egister-vessel

Australian owned ships are required to be registered on the Australian general shipping register if it is one of the following:

a commercial vessel, 24 metres or over in tonnage length, capable of navigating the high seas
The following vessels are exempt from the requirement to be registered (except if they are travelling overseas):

pleasure craft
fishing vessels
government vessels.

These vessels are permitted to be registered and may be registered on the Australian general shipping register if the owner chooses to do so.

Read more about the definition of an Australian owned ship.

Australian registered recreational vessels may also require state registration. If you need to find out whether you need state registration, contact your local state marine safety agency.

The Australian international shipping register is open to Australian owned or operated, international trading ships which meet specific criteria. Read more about which ships are eligible to register on the Australian international shipping register.

Regards.
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 13:00   #20

Quote:

pleasure craft
fishing vessels
government vessels.
so, it sounds like pleasure vessels are exempt EXCEPT if they are travelling overseas.

The OP is asking about a vessel purchased and operated overseas. Does this not remove the exemption from registration?

Jim
Old 11-02-2018, 13:18   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Define ' travelling overseas.'

Does that mean leaving Australia to 'travel overseas'...... or is a yacht purchased in Croatia and sitting in a marina in Croatia 'travelling overseas'??
Old 11-02-2018, 13:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Define ' travelling overseas.'

Does that mean leaving Australia to 'travel overseas'...... or is a yacht purchased in Croatia and sitting in a marina in Croatia 'travelling overseas'??
Methinks that the chappie from AMSA and Helise will come up with differing definitions!

Wonder iif there is any case law that pertains?

Jim
Old 11-02-2018, 14:06   #23

OK.... so I am an Australian.... I fly to the UK on hols.... I buy a pleasure vessel ... a Mirror dinghy.... I sail it on the Thames... does it have to be Australian registered?
Old 11-02-2018, 14:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
OK.... so I am an Australian.... I fly to the UK on hols.... I buy a pleasure vessel ... a Mirror dinghy.... I sail it on the Thames... does it have to be Australian registered?
Careful, Ping! I can see them boarding the plane in Sydney and leading you off in chains. Better buy that Mirror under an assumed name!

Jim
Old 11-02-2018, 15:44   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
so, it sounds like pleasure vessels are exempt EXCEPT if they are travelling overseas.

The OP is asking about a vessel purchased and operated overseas. Does this not remove the exemption from registration?

Jim
No Jim, read my quote from AMSA above. The exemption for vessells under 24 metres only applies if the vessel is not used internationally. The last thread we had on this I thought was clear,
Quote:
I (AMSA)
can confirm that a vessel that is Australian owned and sailing to or from an international home port must be registered on the Australian General Shipping Register with AMSA
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 15:45   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by helise View Post
Hi Factor,

Please read and understand the laws and you can surf -
https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...egister-vessel

Clearly stated that Australian owned ships are required to be registered on the Australian general shipping register if it is one of the following:

pleasure craft
fishing vessels
government vessels.

Regrads.
Mate _ i have read the Act. You seem to be missing the point in bold above. But dont listen to me, talk directly to AMSA.
Old 11-02-2018, 16:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
No Jim, read my quote from AMSA above. The exemption for vessells under 24 metres only applies if the vessel is not used internationally. The last thread we had on this I thought was clear,
Might want to re read my post, Factor, for that was exactly the point I was making: the exemption is removed by international operation.

Jim
Old 11-02-2018, 16:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Careful, Ping! I can see them boarding the plane in Sydney and leading you off in chains. Better buy that Mirror under an assumed name!

Jim
Well, I do hope we aren't dobbed in again....

I think I am too old for a Mirror...so I'll buy a nice little Westerly for day sailing on the Solent.... does it have to be on the Australian register? Its not even on the SSR.....
Old 11-02-2018, 17:38   #29

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

I have not read all the aswers above,so sorry if I repeat some.

I am Australian, when buying a Salina in France, I looked at all possibilities: Panama, Marshalls etc etc.
You register a cmpany in any of those countries and you can register the boat there, all done by agents.

HOWEVER, in the end I decided to register her as an Australian ship.
Reasons:
1- No annual costs (while you are out of Oz)
2- about AUD 2000 all up to register her (in 2010)
3- No hassles in any countries I visited (most like OZ)
4- When and if you get to Oz, you pay 5% duty + 10% GST on the value assessed on the day, so a 5,6, 7yo boat value.
5- No tax in EU, and most country I visited allowed me to buy ship-maintenance items tax exempt.

BTY, the value of your boat will increase by 15% as soon as you takt it into OZ (since all boats pay %5 + 10% to be registered.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 19:57   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
4- When and if you get to Oz, you pay 5% duty + 10% GST on the value assessed on the day, .
Duty is not payable on all boats, depends on whether the country of build has a FTA with Australia, eg Seawinds from Vietnam have no duty but sadly GST is still payable.

Tags
Australia, boat, buying