Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2011, 18:58   #1
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,411
Images: 36
Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Rant for the day.

Everything and I mean everything I have bought for this build of mine I could have got considerably cheaper if I lived in the USA and the only reason I even started a build was because of the stupid prices of boats over here, but today, TODAY my blood is FRIKEN BOILING when I look at what I can get there compared to here.

Take this classic bit of work for $173,000


1972 Defever Offshore Cruiser Power New and Used Boats for Sale -

Compare that to something sort of similar, but not as good here in Oz for $715,000.
$715,000? It's an old converted trawler FFS


http://au.yachtworld.com/core/listin..._id=36024&url=

Or how about this for $949,000


2002 Expedition Cruiser Power New and Used Boats for Sale - au.yachtworld.com
$949,000, are they FRIKEN INSANE?
Do gold nuggets flow from the taps when turned on?
Is there a bevy of scantily clad supermodels stashed below clamouring to fullfill my every desire?

I think not

If I hadn't of started building I would be in the US now, with bells on, wad of cash in hand to slap in the face of a startled DeFever owner and then swiftly heading off down to some tropical isle for a bellyfull of Cubre Libre's and crayfish for the rest of my days.

Instead I will stumble back outside to increase toxin levels to new highs and continue the insanity that is boat-building ever eager to get out of this so called "Lucky Country".

Steps down off of soapbox mumbling expletives
__________________

__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 19:10   #2
Registered User
 
dandrews's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shirley, MA
Boat: Bristol 34
Posts: 235
OMG....LOL.... Very well expressed.
__________________

__________________
dandrews is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 19:19   #3
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sailing up the east coast of Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,061
Re: Australia is such an overpriced sh**hole AAARGH

I feel your pain!

Those differences are even more extreme than with sail and I thought sail was bad enough!

And now our $ is on the way back up again and still we can't get away on a buying safari...

My shout
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 19:25   #4
Registered User
 
SteveT's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Portishead UK
Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33
Posts: 139
Re: Australia is such an overpriced sh**hole AAARGH

Been there, done that and I still hate @%&*ing DIY! Only difference is we did it based in the UK - another ripped off country.
__________________
SteveT is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 19:31   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,150
Images: 69
Re: Australia is such an overpriced sh**hole AAARGH

You need to stop looking at boats for sale in the US. It's bad for your blood pressure!

On the plus side, you can get bits for your boat cheap from there.
__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 20:03   #6
Registered User
 
Capt Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stateline NV
Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Posts: 2,245
Re: Australia is such an overpriced sh**hole AAARGH

I feel your pain, cat man... we were about to immigrate to OZ (my wife is Australian so no immigration drama) when my Bros-in-law suggested to hold on where we are in the US due high prices on housing, food, utilities, taxes and virtually everything down under. We have put our plans on hold awaiting the complete meltdown of the world economy then will decide the best option. Commodity based economies like Australia will be hard hit but would love to move there eventually if I'm still on the right side of the grass! Capt Phil
__________________
Capt Phil is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 20:10   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 2,868
Images: 3
Re: Australia is such an overpriced sh**hole AAARGH

You can't be far away from splashing now!

Do you have a date??? After the cyclone season to head north.

Cheers
__________________
downunder is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 20:14   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,084
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Rant for the day.

Everything and I mean everything I have bought for this build of mine I could have got considerably cheaper if I lived in the USA and the only reason I even started a build was because of the stupid prices of boats over here, but today, TODAY my blood is FRIKEN BOILING when I look at what I can get there compared to here.

Take this classic bit of work for $173,000


1972 Defever Offshore Cruiser Power New and Used Boats for Sale -

Compare that to something sort of similar, but not as good here in Oz for $715,000.
$715,000? It's an old converted trawler FFS


http://au.yachtworld.com/core/listin..._id=36024&url=

Or how about this for $949,000

2002 Expedition Cruiser Power New and Used Boats for Sale - au.yachtworld.com
$949,000, are they FRIKEN INSANE?
Do gold nuggets flow from the taps when turned on?
Is there a bevy of scantily clad supermodels stashed below clamouring to fullfill my every desire?

I think not

If I hadn't of started building I would be in the US now, with bells on, wad of cash in hand to slap in the face of a startled DeFever owner and then swiftly heading off down to some tropical isle for a bellyfull of Cubre Libre's and crayfish for the rest of my days.

Instead I will stumble back outside to increase toxin levels to new highs and continue the insanity that is boat-building ever eager to get out of this so called "Lucky Country".

Steps down off of soapbox mumbling expletives
Look at the bright side. When you are done you can sell for a million cool, not 175k, and start over...
__________________
Dan - Relax Lah! - On the hard @ CSC, Singapore
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 20:16   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Caribbean
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 7,080
Images: 12
Re: Australia is such an overpriced sh**hole AAARGH

They must be selling there at those prices, or there are a lot of boats rotting away. Is everyone in Oz rich or do boats just die on the vine? While individual prices can be outside norms, average prices must describe the market. If they are selling for those prices, then the sellers are not insane.

Either way, I appreciate people who build their own boats. I always think I want to do that, but then when I spend a few days doing any type of fiberglass work I change my mind.

Just think of the fishing and relaxing to come...

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 20:17   #10
Registered User
 
Sabbatical II's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lake Macquarie
Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Posts: 756
Images: 1
Re: Australia is such an overpriced sh**hole AAARGH

Overheard an old guy last week, "the cost of living is going up and up, but I guess it's still worth it."

I think the average wage in Australia is a fair bit more than in the US. This means we pay more tax and get better government too?
__________________
Greg
Sabbatical II is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 20:21   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 2,868
Images: 3
Re: Australia is such an overpriced sh**hole AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Overheard an old guy last week, "the cost of living is going up and up, but I guess it's still worth it."

I think the average wage in Australia is a fair bit more than in the US. This means we pay more tax and get better government?

Better Government
__________________
downunder is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 20:31   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 151
Not to piss of Cat man do anymore (and I'm sure it needs more than just a little TLC), earlier today I was checking out Craigslist in the virgin islands and saw this: http://virgin.craigslist.org/boa/2672913925.html
__________________
monstads is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 20:55   #13
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,411
Images: 36
Re: Australia is such an overpriced sh**hole AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
Not to piss of Cat man do anymore (and I'm sure it needs more than just a little TLC), earlier today I was checking out Craigslist in the virgin islands and saw this: Grand Banks 32' free to good home
I mean this in the nicest possible way and please dont take offence when I say, F*** you very much
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 20:58   #14
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,411
Images: 36
Re: Australia is such an overpriced sh**hole AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
They must be selling there at those prices, or there are a lot of boats rotting away. Is everyone in Oz rich or do boats just die on the vine?
I have seen so many come down in price, come off the market and get re-listed several times over the years.
Pretty sad for boats here at the moment.
Of course there is always some clueless bunny who is the exception to the rule.
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 30-11-2011, 21:08   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
I mean this in the nicest possible way and please dont take offence when I say, F*** you very much
Thought you might say something like that, and no offence taken (and I hope, none given.. ) :-)
__________________

__________________
monstads is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
Australia, australia

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: Lagoon 380 World Cruising Gear in France or Australia monte Classifieds Archive 10 27-03-2012 10:58
Crew Available: New Zealand to Australia Amokuraphil Crew Archives 0 10-11-2011 23:21
Crew Available: Australia to Asia xoloitsquintli Crew Archives 4 07-11-2011 02:57
Sailing Guide to Western Australia Online banyandah Pacific & South China Sea 7 06-10-2011 17:51
Crew Wanted: UK to Australia/ March-May 2012 Start aquilayacht Crew Archives 9 16-09-2011 11:28


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.