Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 16:21   #256

Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Back on topic...........

I paid $264 (+$20 postage/handling) for a new oil injector pump for a 225hp yamaha outboard, delivered to my door from the US...

To order one through our local Yamaha outboard dealer would have cost me $500, i would have had to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive from the US , then go and pick it up or pay a courier $30 to deliver.....hmmmm

The above is just one random example of why i consistantly shop over the internet, but i wouldn't call Aus a sh**hole, i love the place.....

Now if only i could get rid of most of the people it would be perfect....
Old 12-12-2011, 16:25   #257
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Fundmantal human rights have only recently be won in places like the usa and in fact there or people "occupying" places all over the us at present. I have no problem with change and the protest that inevitibly is required to achieve it.

My only caution is to understand local law and custom no matter where you travel and as a visitor suggest that you follow the local laws anld customs lest you be saddled with penalties that are far more severe than equivalent "transgression" at home. Agree or disagree with local law all you want.

Oh, it also wasn't that long ago a british monarch could have someone beheaded with a flick of a baton. Or ship them to australia for stealing bread...

As an American we sorta have a tradition of shaking off oppressive monarchies. LOL

I also have many Thai friends. They don't all spend their weekends rioting in the streets.

In 1984 I was a young aviation guy. I went to a tech school and joined a "customer" class. It was a Thai Airways class of about 20 students. They were very friendly to this young lad and invited him to the apartment that Thai Airways rented them for dinner. I didn't know much about Thailand but when I arrived there was no living room furniture but a mat on the floor laid with a sumptuous spread of awesome Thai food they had prepared. We sat on the floor. And then we poured beer. Then we stood up. Then we toasted the King. It was, you see, the kings birthday.

I could have chosen to say, "screw your king. I'm an American". Instead I acted like a guest, stood and toasted their king - one of way too many toasts to the king that night btw. Then they sang the Thai national anthem. Then we ate. Of course there are many points to this story. Most imporantly is they love their King. Secondly I still see some of these students as part of business. One is a big hoy faloy. We walk into his office and he rushes around his desk and throws a bear hug on me every time. Our top visitors from the usa are always a bit shocked. I just say Woodie is not just a customer, he is a friend.

Current Thai politics are complex. As a casual observer it would be ludicrous for me to comment. It is still probably my favorite place to visit in the region.
Old 12-12-2011, 17:42   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
My only caution is to understand local law and custom no matter where you travel and as a visitor suggest that you follow the local laws anld customs lest you be saddled with penalties that are far more severe than equivalent "transgression" at home. Agree or disagree with local law all you want.
That I of course agree with - anything else is totally foolish.

The rest of your post, ostensibly as a reposte to my post, shows I may as well been whistlin' dixie - there appears to be no comprehension at all of the points I was making.

Never mind; I guess it shows this is simply not the forum for that sort of discussion/debate...
Old 12-12-2011, 17:54   #259

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
Love Walmart - just picked up my new 200$ washing machine - lots of cute girls and the local cool guys sporting the latest mullet fashions!!
But, no different to the bogans around Frankston, Victoria - (my brother calls it Frankistan)
Attention Mr AllezCat ! Mullet alert in aisle 6 ! Mullet alert in aisle 6 !

Click image for larger version

Name:	3366 (2).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	34727
Old 12-12-2011, 18:12   #260
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea

Seems Ex-Calif and Allezcat continue to see the draconian laws of Thailand entirely from a visitor's perspective - as evidenced in the above quotes.

Both continue to conveniently ignored the fact that Thai citizens exercising what ought to be the fundamental right of free expression, like the one mentioned above by Gordmay where a 61yo grandfather was jailed for 20 years for "insulting" the monarchy in an SMS, plus innumerable other examples, are the the most common victims of these laws.

Allezcat also attempts to muddy the waters by references to peeing on temples etc; and suggesting that you'd also get twenty years in the USA for not standing up at a ball game. The first has nothing to do with the issue; the second is of course plain wrong.

I'm sure most posters would have felt sympathy for people like Dmitri Shostakovich and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and all the others who were subjected to similar, albeit worse, draconian penalties under Stalin et al. Not to mention the millions of millions of victims of other totalitarian regimes in recent history, like in nearby Cambodia.

What I'd hope is that the two posters I mention would at least develop some sympathy for the Thai people, rather than just admire their smiles. And, in particular, for those Thais who are taking personal risks in seeking to bring to Thailand the same fundamental human rights that we all currently enjoy.
I agree that this is not the forum for this and have trapped myself but since you say I am missing all the points I must respond one more time and then promise to retire.

View Thai laws as a visitor - I am not a Thai resident or citizen. I must be a visitor and as a visitor should follow their rules.

Sympathy for oppressed "martyrs" (Russian, Thai, Cambodian, Myanmarese or any other) - I have neither expressed sympathy or disdain for anyone. I completely understand that change comes through struggle.

Sympathy for Thai people - I don't know if the avereage Thai needs sympathy and probably that is where we differ. My many Thai friends certainly aren't looking for sympathy or for me to join their struggle.

I see the news. I see the red shirts. I have my opinions why they are there and have discussed with my Thai working middle class friends but I have continued in this thread to avoid going there because as you state that is a topic for a whole 'nother forum and on that we can agree.

BTW - Some of my Thai friends look at Americans getting pepper sprayed and say, "The US is just like Thailand." they don't say, "I am going to wall street and join your struggle and brerak your laws." and by that they nor I are not judging what laws are just or fair.
Old 12-12-2011, 18:21   #261

Boat: Able 50

Most of Asia has very tough laws. They still have death penalties by firing squad or hanging.

Australians on Death Row
Old 12-12-2011, 18:33   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
iI agree that this is not the forum for this and have trapped myself but since you say I am missing all the points I must respond one more time and then promise to retire.
I've gone one better than "promise"...
Old 13-12-2011, 03:49   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Seems Ex-Calif and Allezcat continue to see the draconian laws of Thailand entirely from a visitor's perspective - as evidenced in the above quotes.

Both continue to conveniently ignored the fact that Thai citizens exercising what ought to be the fundamental right of free expression, like the one mentioned above by Gordmay where a 61yo grandfather was jailed for 20 years for "insulting" the monarchy in an SMS, plus innumerable other examples, are the the most common victims of these laws.

Allezcat also attempts to muddy the waters by references to peeing on temples etc; and suggesting that you'd also get twenty years in the USA for not standing up at a ball game. The first has nothing to do with the issue; the second is of course plain wrong.

I'm sure most posters would have felt sympathy for people like Dmitri Shostakovich and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and all the others who were subjected to similar, albeit worse, draconian penalties under Stalin et al. Not to mention the millions of millions of victims of other totalitarian regimes in recent history, like in nearby Cambodia.

What I'd hope is that the two posters I mention would at least develop some sympathy for the Thai people, rather than just admire their smiles. And, in particular, for those Thais who are taking personal risks in seeking to bring to Thailand the same fundamental human rights that we all currently enjoy.
West Marine had a port supply appreciation day(s) over the weekend - on top of the regular discount there was a further 5% of electronics 15% of clothing, and 10% of everything else.

I'm pointing out that you must follow the "rules" - it matters not whether it is law, lore or local custom.
if you disrespect the locals - there is street justice - not-standing for the national anthem,, disrespecting a temple (common with drunks), etc, etc. And the locals can be quite violent. i.e obey they rules. Same thing could happen with a bunch of red-necks at a US ballgame.
Another example is feet are bad. So is pointing - especially with feet. The king is revered. His image is on all money. If you drop your cash don't step on it to retrieve it...(feet on kings head)
In Australia there is ostensibly zero tolerance to speeding - 3km over the limit is automatic ticket from automatic radar cameras.
The LIE from Manhattan to the Hampton s the speed limit is 55mph - flow is 80 (or 2 if traffic). Lots of police - but this is the "custom".
America is great so is Thailand and Australia imo - different greatness.
Perhaps we can go into Thailand and bomb them out of their draconian system - wipe those fake smiles of their faces.
how many did we blow up in Vietnam? 6 million?
Many are deluded into thinking they have a say...And things aren't far worse in their own backyard
Old 13-12-2011, 08:32   #264

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Change will happen in a society as the society itself grows and it's young people see the benefits of a more open system,whatever that system may be.Egypt seems to be heading for a more religious government and all that entails,will we in the west accept this?I grew up in South Africa in the good ole bad days,regular people did keep their heads down and got on with life,or turned a blind eye.In my particular case i was conscripted into the army with all the other young white males, a lot of us ended up fighting a dirty little war in Angola.Now I had the choice of refusing to go into the army but then would be obliged to spend seven years in prison...I admire people who feel so strongly about their political views that they will risk their lives for it,i would question wether it was worth it,in view of the arrogant,corrupt mob that is now in charge in South Africa.
Old 13-12-2011, 10:42   #265
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana
Whine, whine, whine. Australia & US are democracies. You are allowed to earn as much money as you like, so where's the problem? Oh, do you need it handed to you with a minimum of effort? We live in the lucky country where anyone can have a go! .....and if it doesn't work first time, you can have another go. Sounds fair to me.
No all western systems are " managed" democracies. can't be giving the masses what they want now can we !
Dave
Old 13-12-2011, 10:50   #266
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG
It is a fact that boats are cheap in the US. Question is, which boats?
Very difficult to find quality labour, engines are not the very best, most boats arriving from the US here (Holland) have to be re-engined and general quality is sub-standard with some good exceptions for the specialty yards. I saw some real splendid work. Quality of production yards is pretty hopeless because most boats arrive from Taiwan and/or China.

I may be a bit critical but I come from a country that counts as one of the best places to find a good boat.
As a former purchaser of a Dutch steel boat I don't agree with you. I've seen some junk put into Dutch boats too. ( like crappy electrics, cheap framing timber). It's no paradise. Sure if you pay big money you get good stuff, but that's true almost anywhere ( within reason). I was recently asked to calibrate the electronics of a reputedly high quality Dutch steel motor yacht costing many 100ks euros. I was not impressed by the build standard. Looked good on the outside, pull back some framing etc, cheaply built boat.

Dave
Old 13-12-2011, 13:39   #267

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

It's Official, From todays news.

Quote:
FORGET the lucky country - Australia has been branded the land of the great big rip-off.

It is absurd that staples such as fruits and vegetables are several times more expensive than in Europe; DVDs and books can be bought far cheaper offshore; the same cars cost twice as much compared with overseas, and; housing is less affordable than some of the world's biggest cities, says a Centre for Independent Studies report.

The pro-business think-tank wants property stamp duty axed or slashed and first home buyer grants and negative gearing scrapped to reduce the cost divide, claiming the policies have added to the housing affordability crisis.

And it says import restrictions should be dropped for bananas, cars and books.

The paper labels the nation one of the priciest on the planet, blaming successive governments for key essentials now being steeper than in London, New York and Singapore.
"That Australia is now one of the most expensive addresses on the planet was by no means unavoidable ... what we got instead is a country in which both products and land are much more expensive than in most other countries."

But a federal government spokesman said tariffs had been progressively reduced over three decades to promote free trade and lower consumer goods prices, and that a strong biosecurity and quarantine system was needed for imported-food risks.

Personal tax cuts, higher pensions and other policies had eased cost pressures.

The Victorian Government reduced stamp duty for first home buyers by 20 per cent in July. The cuts will steadily increase over the next three years.

The CIS researchers examined price data for bananas, books, cars, real estate and some retail goods.

They found houses that once cost three times the median household income were now up to nine times that in some capital cities.

Retail rip-offs driven by high rents, outlandish CBD carparking rates and restrictive planning and zoning regulations pushed shoppers to foreign websites, they said.

Outdated copyright laws meant local stores regularly charged double or triple for books.

The report estimated car prices would fall by up to 50 per cent if import duties, the luxury car tax and bans on used vehicle imports were abolished.

Australia among the world's priciest on food, housing | Herald Sun
Old 13-12-2011, 13:56   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Looked good on the outside, pull back some framing etc, cheaply built boat.
You see this in the majority of production boats.

What you can't see is what I am interested in.
When looking at various vessels I spend most of my time head in lockers and cupboards to see "actual" build quality.
Old 13-12-2011, 13:57   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
Many are deluded into thinking they have a say...And things aren't far worse in their own backyard
+1
Old 15-12-2011, 14:31   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
It's Official, From todays news.
Did you instigate this report yourself?
You forgot to add imported boat parts to the list...
Closed Thread

Tags
Australia, australia