Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 13:26   #91

Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
She wasn't born in Wales by anychance ???

Could you take her back, Please

Glad you had enjoyable time at Airlie and Cairns, two places I spent many good times during my earlier , formative years, possibly crossed paths with you.

Both still great places.

Cheers
Along with Tony baloney, he's not an Aussie either, he was born in London I believe. We sure don't need his negativity in govt, but he does make Julia look good so I guess it's not all bad.

T1 Terry
Old 03-12-2011, 13:29   #92

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Overpriced yeah, shithole, no.
Totally agree Shithole NO........ It's strange the comparison is drawn that gear here is much dearer, TOTALLY AGREE so buy elsewhere!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 13:44   #93

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

This discussion brought to mind a few years ago my bros-in-law in Australia who was appalled at the cost of aircraft parts he sourced in Queensland. He asked me to check out the prices in the US and found there to be about 100% mark-up on the Australian sourced parts. When he shared the US prices with his Aussie supplier, the price immediately dropped to meet the US prices less freight. So, go figure!! Capt Phil
Old 03-12-2011, 13:58   #94

Boat: Gib sea 43

I went to oz in 1999 and again in 2007, in 99 everything in australia was dirt cheap compared to the uk, in 07 id say about 20-50% more expensive, the first time the exchange was 2.6 aussie $ to the uk pound, the second time about $2.20 to the uk pound, id hate to imagine what the prices will be like now with $1.6 to the uk pound.

Id imagine it will certainly be knocking on your tourist trade, but strange how you ozzies dont appear to benefit in buying imported goods with the strong currency, unless you import it yourself that is!

Taxes on goods in the UK are a lot higher than in oz as well, 14% import duty on electrical then 20% vat on top almost 40% tax (they add the duty then the vat on total).
Old 03-12-2011, 13:59   #95

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
This discussion brought to mind a few years ago my bros-in-law in Australia who was appalled at the cost of aircraft parts he sourced in Queensland. He asked me to check out the prices in the US and found there to be about 100% mark-up on the Australian sourced parts. When he shared the US prices with his Aussie supplier, the price immediately dropped to meet the US prices less freight. So, go figure!! Capt Phil
Agree around 4 months ago i needed to have a gearbox overhauled it is a Borg Warner Super T10, Aussie best price for parts $3,880:00 labour $285:00 After picking myself up i remembered i had earlier checked a total replacement unit at $1750:00 ex USA.
So i enquired on the net and bought same parts for $370:00 plus $32:00 freight and they threw in two biro's and a couple stickers!!!!!! Parts were delivered in under 9 days all genuine components...
Shop with your fingers, get the best deal BUT your point of making the Aussie dealer aware is a good one, we don't want them to go broke just be competitive.
Harvey Norman bitched about shopping online as did Myers, the whinge fell on deaf ears so now both companies have joined on line shopping.
Old 03-12-2011, 14:01   #96

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
This misses the point, I'm afraid . . . it isn't that people in the US don't have the money, it's that they've chosen to sit on their wallets for items that are arguably luxuries. Virtually no one "needs" a yacht or a motorhome, so when the consumers of such items choose not to purchase them, the tyranny of the Supply/Demand equation will force the market to discover where the price level is that will clear the market.

As with all things, when comparing prices from country to country, terms like "cheap" and "dear" are relative. If a consumer doesn't truly understand the exchange rate mechanism, it's virtually impossible to apply either term appropriately.

TaoJones
As well, A lot of us here are not putting our money in the banks anymore. We're switching to credit unions, which are owned by the members, not the government (so to speak). Or we just keep it in fire proof safe$ (tight arse).

The big problem we're having here is most of the skilled labor is going to CNC machinery (robots) or over seas (china & malaysia). All but a few steel mills exist, mostly rebar for cement structures. The foundries are almost non existent. Some auto manufacturers became extinct and boats as well. And the farming has slowed to producing stuff for petro. Very few are spending any real money which drives the prices way down.
Personal items are difficult to sell now. Most people just give it away now or haul it off to the dumps.

e.g. I have a SS folding prop (OZ made BTW) worth US $1500 that has only 200 hours on it (like new) and no one will give more then $500. That's the state of things here and why stuff is cheap. Can't even sell a house for what one has into it.
Old 03-12-2011, 15:08   #97

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

What really hurts is where you have a part made in Australia that cost more to buy locally from the factory than the same being sold retail in the USA!!
Old 03-12-2011, 15:20   #98

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

And how about Australian wine being less expensive at Safeway in California than at the big wine shops in Oz?

But, despite the expenses, we still find Australia a great place to spend the cyclone seasons, and to hang out in general. We're here by choice...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-12-2011, 15:47   #99

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Overpriced yeah, shithole, no.
If you look at it without counting cost whatsoever you are possibly correct.

But, I believe you have to add cost into the equation when valuing a country as cost effects quality of life, and dollar for dollar, your quality of life is pretty poor in Australia.

Looks to a recent long stay in one Asian destination with Roof top ocean view accommodation, stunning uncrowded beaches, scenic bike rides and fantastic food.
Roads around town and along waterfront were in as good if not better condition than here, modern western style english speaking hospital (I had teeth cleaned, tooth drilled and a filling for $7aud) , easy transport and cheap taxis and blisteringly fast free broadband.
What cost me $500 a week there would have cost $4500 a week plus here if in the same quality of accommodation, food, drink and transport.
1 week in Australia Vs 8 weeks there.

Is Australia an overpriced shithole?
The many Australian expats of pension age that are living there and in other parts of asia with a greatly improved quality of life would say yes.
Old 03-12-2011, 16:12   #100

But they are living on an AUSTRALIAN pension. How well would they be doing on a pension from the country they live in?

Sure we have high prices. We also have high wages/pensions etc to offset the cost.

The reason you can afford to have the 8 week holiday in Asia is because you earn your money in AUSTRALIA. See how well you'd be living doing the equivalent job in Thailand, the Phillipines, Indo, etc etc.

My real beef is that Australian retailers have such high mark-ups. If I can buy the same product form a US RETAILER, and pay shipping, duty, GST, and still get it for halfthe cost or even less, then IMO the Aussie retailers are gouging.
Old 03-12-2011, 16:22   #101

Boat: Compass 28

Yep, Oz is an AWFUL place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't come here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All youse others be warned, don't come here! Just feel compassion for us dopey Aussie twats who are silly enough to enjoy what we have. Can you believe it, some of us bloody dills even enjoy our robust economy, even though it makes our currency a bit high and makes stuff a bit more expensive! How stupid are we?

Yep, stay away, enjoy your guns'n'stuff, and let us get on with our poor pathetic little lives!!!!!!

Heh heh.

lockie
Old 03-12-2011, 16:31   #102

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I'm in the boatyard here in Florida getting my boat ready for another Bahamas season and there are two Aussie boats in here getting re-fitted. They're not real Aussie boats, they're US boats bought here by Aussies and flying Aussie flags. Your dollar's doing good. Come over and help the economy.

Oh yes, just remembered. Friend had a B423 and put it on the market, sold to an Aussie in 10 days. I thought the market was slow.
Old 03-12-2011, 16:32   #103

Boat: Bristol 34
LOL....so just a fair warning to us....for our own peace of well being...

Don
Old 03-12-2011, 16:33   #104

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Yep, Oz is an AWFUL place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't come here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All youse others be warned, don't come here! Just feel compassion for us dopey Aussie twats who are silly enough to enjoy what we have. Can you believe it, some of us bloody dills even enjoy our robust economy, even though it makes our currency a bit high and makes stuff a bit more expensive! How stupid are we?

Yep, stay away, enjoy your guns'n'stuff, and let us get on with our poor pathetic little lives!!!!!!

Heh heh.

lockie
And buy American, we need the income. Even if it is imported to us first.
Old 03-12-2011, 16:43   #105

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
But they are living on an AUSTRALIAN pension. How well would they be doing on a pension from the country they live in?
Many I spoke to are self funded retirees ineligible for the Australian pension due to wealth levels or age (not old enough).
Many had $75,000aud in bank accounts earning 14%, tax free interest covering their cost of daily living.

Quote:
Sure we have high prices. We also have high wages/pensions etc to offset the cost.
That works well for those on $100k plus but the Australian average wage is a lot less than that and the minimum wage is a whole lot less again, barely covering rent and baked beans.

High pension?
$344/week barely covers rent and power bills let alone food and other expenses.

Quote:
The reason you can afford to have the 8 week holiday in Asia is because you earn your money in AUSTRALIA. See how well you'd be living doing the equivalent job in Thailand, the Phillipines, Indo, etc etc.
I have several friends working in various asian counties now.
ALL have better quality of life , many have maids, drivers, gardeners etc as required, many with paid accommodation and driver as part of their package.
The worst one who is worst off works for a dive/motorcycle tour company in Hoi An (every day is a holiday).
He has a reasonably nice 2 bedroom apartment overlooking the water, eats out for every meal, lives a pretty good lifestyle all on about 3 days a week work.
Closed Thread

Tags
Australia, australia