Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 02:23   #346
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,057
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

The people who hate Australia most seem to have multis. Be careful Lagoon4us lest ye become seduced by the dark side.

Best buy a mono and eliminate the possibility.
__________________

__________________
savoir is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 02:26   #347
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

LMAO mmmm been there done that, google "I can sail circles" by David Beard the Adams was built by my wife and i and sailed for 7 years before David purchased and did his thing..... Cheers
__________________

__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 04:04   #348
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

For me this has been one of the saddest threads I have read - anywhere.

As a fellow Islander (slightly smaller!) - we have an old saying for moaners:- "there's a boat in the morning"..........my guess is that the saying pre-dates aeroplanes . Sounds like that when OP leaves Oz everyone will be a bit happier .

As I got older have come to appreciate what we have here especially vs SE Asia (including that no one tries to kill me over disputes - major or minor....and I reciprocate - albeit that does create it's own frustrations when dealing with numpties .....but I do nonetheless miss "the game" ).

Not to say we don't have stuff (and people ) that drives one mad And prices (of property and goods) that make Australia seem like Walmart .......but if you can get paid accordingly and especially if spending in the right foreign countries then overall happy days .
David_Old_Jersey is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 04:12   #349
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The people who hate Australia
Who hates Australia, I certainly dont, I like it here, its a very pretty place.
Doesn't stop me from believing it is poor value destination on a bang for buck - dollar value.

If it was so good, and so affordable why have:
Tourist numbers dropped drastically?
Why have house sales dropped drastically?
Why are numbers of people permanently leaving the country on the increase?

Anyone have answers as to why?
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 04:23   #350
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Who hates Australia, I certainly dont, I like it here, its a very pretty place.
Doesn't stop me from believing it is poor value destination on a bang for buck - dollar value.

If it was so good, and so affordable why have:
Tourist numbers dropped drastically?
Why have house sales dropped drastically?
Why are numbers of people permanently leaving the country on the increase?

Anyone have answers as to why?
AUSTRALIA IS NOT A SHITHOLE!!!

Tourist numbers dropped WORLDWIDE due largely to the financial system of the world collapsing...

House sales peaked as in any market the bubble had to burst HOWEVER in some areas it has increased.... Thats the market. Nothing new.

LMAO Who is leaving? Poor Joe averages????

Answers?
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 05:09   #351
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
AUSTRALIA IS NOT A SHITHOLE!!!
But it is overpriced?

I imagine if you were priced out of the market or owned by the banks your opinion may differ as to whether it was a sh**hole or not.

Quote:
Tourist numbers dropped WORLDWIDE due largely to the financial system of the world collapsing...
Incorrect
Tourist numbers have increased in other parts of the world that are more affordable.

Those that have become unaffordable (here) have naturally decreased

Quote:
House sales peaked as in any market the bubble had to burst HOWEVER in some areas it has increased.... Thats the market. Nothing new.
Is that a roundabout way of saying they are overpriced?
People aren't buying because they physically cant pay exponentially increasing prices.

Quote:
LMAO
I have to say, I find it disturbing that you find the subject so amusing.

Quote:
Who is leaving? Poor Joe averages????
Unfortunately for POOR Joe average he will not have the means to leave, but people who see better opportunity and lifestyle in other countries and have the ability to move are the ones who are doing it I would imagine.

Some are average Joe, had lunch with one a few weeks back, a FIFO who left 6 months ago and is now living in Indonesia.
Best move he ever made he and his wife reckon.
Children are noticeably happier, quality of life has improved dramatically and I am happy for them.
They now get to spend a lot more quality time together, something they have not been able to do for many years while in Oz paying off their 6x wage year very ordinary home.

Another I know is well educated and was forced to shut down their factory here and set up overseas because they simply could not compete with wages in Australia being so high.
That business had successfully been in operation for 15 years, but the last 5 years, it was going backwards at a furious pace.
Increased rents, increased power, increased everything forced the closure.
Once again, says its the best move he has ever made and can actually see himself trading out of his debts in Australia in a few short years whereas previously he was more likely to have lost everything.

Have you not noticed a lot of our industry moving offshore?
Have you not noticed a lot of our smarter people leaving our shores?
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 05:11   #352
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Cat man do,

Australia is much more than a pretty place.

To answer your original post... Boats are relatively cheap in the US now because their economy is in trouble, with high uncertainty, high unemployment and a housing market that crashed. Luxury boats aren't high on many peoples priorities so the prices are low. In Aus we have a mining boom with lots of high income mining workers and cashed up retirees courtesy of our property boom (probably driven by miners buying property). Many of these people are buying luxury boats, driving the prices up.
Don't want to be Joe Average? Go mining and earn some good money. The opportunity is there. For how long who knows....if GFC mk2 comes along and China really slows down you will see cheap boats and houses as people with declining income try to offload assets and our currency crashes, a la the US.
It's not quite that simple, but its close. Which situation would you rather be in?

Please stop bagging Australia. People have fought and died for her and love her. It's enough.
__________________
mawfish is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 05:40   #353
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawfish View Post
Cat man do,

Australia is much more than a pretty place.

To answer your original post... Boats are relatively cheap in the US now because their economy is in trouble, with high uncertainty, high unemployment and a housing market that crashed. Luxury boats aren't high on many peoples priorities so the prices are low.
Boats are but one thing
I also had the example of a brand new diesel engine, landed in Australia for 40% of the cost of the exact same model sold here.

There are many more examples of non luxury items bought overseas and landed here for a fraction of the cost of actually buying them here.

Quote:
In Aus we have a mining boom with lots of high income mining workers and cashed up retirees courtesy of our property boom (probably driven by miners buying property).
Mining accounts for a very small% of the workforce.

The vast majority of Australians get about 1/3rd of these wages.
Yet still have to pay the high prices supported by the mining boom.


Quote:
Many of these people are buying luxury boats, driving the prices up.
Who's buying boats in Australia?
I have a mate who has been trying to sell his cat for 4 years now, no takers because they are too damn expensive
Quote:
Don't want to be Joe Average? Go mining and earn some good money. The opportunity is there.
I dont need to work, I haven't for several years, but your solution is not a solution at all.
It cant work for everyone, there are simply not enough of these high paying mining jobs available for everyone to have one and if there were then who will drive the school bus, teach your children, be cops, firies, ambo's, work as a nurse, be a checkout chick? etc etc

All these people, average joe, get lower wages yet still have to pay the higher prices being supported by the mining boom.

Quote:
For how long who knows....if GFC mk2 comes along and China really slows down you will see cheap boats and houses as people with declining income try to offload assets and our currency crashes, a la the US.
It's not quite that simple, but its close. Which situation would you rather be in?
I can guarantee you there will be many of a younger generation who may be quite relieved to see the largesse washed away and normality of pricing return.

Quote:
Please stop bagging Australia.
You seem confused.
I am not bagging Australia
I am bagging the excessive prices and the excessive indebtedness people have to go into to afford to live.
I am bagging whatever financial system is in play that makes these prices so high.

Previous generations did not have to borrow 6 or 7 times their wage years to put a simple roof over their heads.
They did not need two full time incomes to do it.

Quote:
People have fought and died for her and love her. It's enough.
My Grandfather was one.
I Imagine he would be horrified at the level of debt people have to get into to put a roof over their heads these days.
My Grandmother certainly is.
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 06:45   #354
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
But it is overpriced?

I imagine if you were priced out of the market or owned by the banks your opinion may differ as to whether it was a sh**hole or not.


Incorrect
Tourist numbers have increased in other parts of the world that are more affordable.

Those that have become unaffordable (here) have naturally decreased


Is that a roundabout way of saying they are overpriced?
People aren't buying because they physically cant pay exponentially increasing prices.


I have to say, I find it disturbing that you find the subject so amusing.



Unfortunately for POOR Joe average he will not have the means to leave, but people who see better opportunity and lifestyle in other countries and have the ability to move are the ones who are doing it I would imagine.

Some are average Joe, had lunch with one a few weeks back, a FIFO who left 6 months ago and is now living in Indonesia.
Best move he ever made he and his wife reckon.
Children are noticeably happier, quality of life has improved dramatically and I am happy for them.
They now get to spend a lot more quality time together, something they have not been able to do for many years while in Oz paying off their 6x wage year very ordinary home.

Another I know is well educated and was forced to shut down their factory here and set up overseas because they simply could not compete with wages in Australia being so high.
That business had successfully been in operation for 15 years, but the last 5 years, it was going backwards at a furious pace.
Increased rents, increased power, increased everything forced the closure.
Once again, says its the best move he has ever made and can actually see himself trading out of his debts in Australia in a few short years whereas previously he was more likely to have lost everything.

Have you not noticed a lot of our industry moving offshore?
Have you not noticed a lot of our smarter people leaving our shores?
You are so delusional !!! You have lunch with a FIFO and determine because he has found a job overseas therefore LARGE numbers are leaving Australia. You are becoming quite desperate to win a POINT.

Tourism is cyclic, the haves go visiting the have nots... Because it's cheaper that way...

You find it disturbing that i find it amusing?? Bahaaa you have a large group of people reading this thread laughing their heads off at you, my family included, WHY? because you wish to argue for arguing sake no other reason! Most people have agreed with you that Australia is overpriced WHAT you don't get is we take offence at you calling Australia a shithole!!! And for that you should apologise.

I find it quite amusing that the moderators have commented when you pathetically show disrespect by denigrating a member YET these people have allowed you to denigrate a country by calling it a shithole!

You need to read peoples replies rather than act like a pathetic master continually pushing your one eyed opinion.Do you get off on feverishly bashing your well worn key-board??

Hey i'm all for getting a working bee together to help you finish your boat so you may leave and take your opinions to a boatyard far away where you can be grand poobah of some standing..

YES AUSTRALIA AINT CHEAP, GET OVER IT.....
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 06:50   #355
Registered User
 
impi's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: From Cape Town now New Caledonia
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 952
Images: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Gee guys .... Sounds like this is no different a story than with any other country in the world today .... In South Africa ... I closed my business because of exactly what is being discussed in this thread... Worked hard, made enough money ... Too much effort now for too little return ... Government has no inclination to have all people being equal....That and reverse apartheid ... Our currency goes nowhere .... Politicians want me to fund their campaigns ....one question to them 'when will my son have the same rights to do business with Same benefits as the other races of people.... Answer ' that will never happen because the whites have to pay for the sins of the past' .... What - forever? ...' ...it's a commercial advantage now' .....
Went to Australia and bare chartered a catamaran in the Whitsundays .... Saw your cities.... Have friends who have immigrated there ...Very very beautiful ... Very reasonably priced ... Doing exceptionally well, every one of them .... if you can't make it happen there .... You wont make it happen anywhere .... Australia is No sh**thole ....
__________________
In our own style and our own time ...
http://cat-impi.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIy...Uhlfkd34f8FrEg
impi is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 06:54   #356
Registered User
 
neelie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On the boat
Boat: Valiant 50
Posts: 514
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Cat man do - give it a rest mate.. your blood pressure must be bursting your veins. You are a 100% correct in every respect. You are just wasting your time responding to a sad minority of Aussies who can't read and think clearly.

Which brings me to the Australian education system (does such an animal exist?) , an entirely unsavory topic. We have become a nation of airheads. Aussies who disagree, please Google : Shelley Gare, "A Triumph of the Airheads", read the book and weep, as I did. As a nation we are "rooted". (Aussie slang here ..translation for our US readers.. "Rooted = screwed;....and be advised that "screwed" in this sense is not that past tense of inserting a mechanical fastener!)

Lagoon4us?.. And you aspire to a freaking Lagoon?.. says it all! Come on mate, don't embarrass Aussies, lift your game, get some standards and aspire to a proper sailing catamaran. FYI - I'm one of your Joe Average "losers" who left Oz in 1989, still happily working all over the world and never looked back and hardly a loser by any measure. I took offense at your comment about some one like me being a loser Joe Average.
__________________
The light at the end of the tunnel are no longer the headlights of the oncoming train......yippee
neelie is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 06:54   #357
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
You are so delusional !!! You have lunch with a FIFO and determine because he has found a job overseas therefore LARGE numbers are leaving Australia. You are becoming quite desperate to win a POINT.
Speaking of delusions, I have posted these FACTS several times now, seems your delusion is making you blinkered, or maybe it just didnt suit your argument to acknowledge their existance.

Quote:
While most of the debate on migration concentrates on the numbers and characteristics of immigrants to Australia, emigration (that is, people leaving Australia) has increased steadily in recent years.

A total of 86,277 people indicated that they left Australia permanently in 2009–10.
http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...emigration.htm
As for the rest of your comment, I take it is more of your emotional diatribe unsupported by any actual evidence?
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 06:55   #358
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

And do you know the great thing about Australia? We love can-doer's and hate whingers.
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 06:59   #359
Registered User
 
impi's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: From Cape Town now New Caledonia
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 952
Images: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie

Lagoon4us?.. And you aspire to a freaking Lagoon?.. says it all! Come on mate, don't embarrass Aussies, lift your game, get some standards and aspire to a proper sailing catamaran. FYI - I'm one of your Joe Average "losers" who left Oz in 1989, still happily working all over the world and never looked back and hardly a loser by any measure. I took offense at your comment about some one like me being a loser Joe Average.
Your comment says it all .... What's that about airheads?
__________________
In our own style and our own time ...
http://cat-impi.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIy...Uhlfkd34f8FrEg
impi is offline  
Old 18-12-2011, 06:59   #360
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Cat man do - give it a rest mate.. your blood pressure must be bursting your veins. You are a 100% correct in every respect. You are just wasting your time responding to a sad minority of Aussies who can't read and think clearly.

Which brings me to the Australian education system (does such an animal exist?) , an entirely unsavory topic. We have become a nation of airheads. Aussies who disagree, please Google : Shelley Gare, "A Triumph of the Airheads", read the book and weep, as I did. As a nation we are "rooted". (Aussie slang here ..translation for our US readers.. "Rooted = screwed;....and be advised that "screwed" in this sense is not that past tense of inserting a mechanical fastener!)

Lagoon4us?.. And you aspire to a freaking Lagoon?.. says it all! Come on mate, don't embarrass Aussies, lift your game, get some standards and aspire to a proper sailing catamaran. FYI - I'm one of your Joe Average "losers" who left Oz in 1989, still happily working all over the world and never looked back and hardly a loser by any measure. I took offense at your comment about some one like me being a loser Joe Average.
Sorry would you please show me where i said Aussie Loser?
Seems you also don't read but simply wish to argue?
__________________

__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
Australia, australia

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: Lagoon 380 World Cruising Gear in France or Australia monte Classifieds Archive 10 27-03-2012 10:58
Crew Available: New Zealand to Australia Amokuraphil Crew Archives 0 10-11-2011 23:21
Crew Available: Australia to Asia xoloitsquintli Crew Archives 4 07-11-2011 02:57
Sailing Guide to Western Australia Online banyandah Pacific & South China Sea 7 06-10-2011 17:51
Crew Wanted: UK to Australia/ March-May 2012 Start aquilayacht Crew Archives 9 16-09-2011 11:28



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.